Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Embarrassing equipment...

• 08-07-2010 4:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭

So, have you got any?

I sometimes feel silly walking around with the 70-200 with the lens hood on, it just looks massive. And I'm thinking about getting a Ray Flash Ring but I don't know if I'd ever take it out the house to be honest :D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

Have a homemade bounce card I velcro to my flash for indoor stuff, looks stupid, works brilliantly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

A film canister which slots over my pop-up flash as a diffuser. It works well!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,283 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i have an ENORMOUS forehead which works great as a reflector.*

*may or may not be true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

Sigma 100-300 f/4 with 1.4TC

This is the biggest lens, I'd walk down a rally stage with and the looks I get are quite amusing.. Here's it next to a 70-200 f/2.8

I know there is bigger lenses but I think I'd break my neck carrying one of them down a stage ( And I'm not weak either :pac: )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭hbr

steve06 wrote: »
    So, have you got any?

No, I'm sad to say that all of my photography stuff is very
    ordinary and unremarkable :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭jpb1974

Not so much embarrasing but -

My Holga can draw a bit of attention... black insulation tape all over the place.

My Mamiya C330 always draws attention too... I must have had at least 10 conversations with different people about it recently during the Duncannon Military Re-enactment. It's one of those cameras that people see and tend to actually want to have their photo taken with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Kbeg3

When I have my Gary Fong lightsphere on my flash people think it's a lunchbox

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

I've got a ray flash that has never left the house. It's also a pain to use as you need to hold it in place most of the time as it's heavy and could damage the flash. Must use it more actually.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

My trigger in work broke last week! I now have it tapped to the camera until replacement arrives, pretty embarrassing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Slidinginfinity

A film canister which slots over my pop-up flash as a diffuser. It works well!

Ditto
    jpb1974 wrote: »
    Not so much embarrasing but -

My Holga can draw a bit of attention... black insulation tape all over the place.

Ditto

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

My tripod :(

I hate meeting boardsie's with there heavy to lift ones while I can hang mine off me belt it's so cheap :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

Oh dear I better 'come out', cough......ahem....
    I've.....I've got Olympus digital equipment :o:o

:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

My camera ... :D nothing wrong appearance-wise, but if I ask someone to take a shot for me [of myself and the family for example] I have to explain to them that they need to cut our foreheads off when framing, and um, aim a little to the right :D [sensor is out of place]

I don't think I'd use my 70-300 with the hood on either, it's ridiculous looking

Tallon wrote: »
    My tripod :(

I hate meeting boardsie's with there heavy to lift ones while I can hang mine off me belt it's so cheap :(

My tripod was €15 in an Argos sale [originally €30] - It's also light weight but I rarely use a tripod so it does the job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 842 ✭✭✭daycent

Kbeg3 wrote: »
    When I have my Gary Fong lightsphere on my flash people think it's a lunchbox

I was once asked was mine for tips!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

Seeing people with Sony Alpha cameras :p:p:p:p

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭mehfesto

The earplugs I bought before shooting one of my first gigs. They were red, but went glo-in-the-dark hot-pink in the dark and I was at a heavy metal gig....

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭MaggyM

I've a 3g lensbaby (aka control freak) which attracted a lot of looks the one time I used it in public.
    It's a pity, as I love what it can do, but I've never taken it out since!

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭GavinZac

dazftw wrote: »
    Seeing people with Sony Alpha cameras :p:p:p:p

Canikons feeling threatened by anything that isn't "their" brand :p

My minolta flash is from the 80s and really looks it too. Added to that, for a long time I was using leccy tape and a paper plate as a 2-in-1 defuser/bounce card (1 layer flat = defuser, 2 layers angled = bounce).

My reflector is a piece of foil covered insulation board. Not embarrassing as such but does raise eyebrows.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭sineadw

MaggyM wrote: »
    I've a 3g lensbaby (aka control freak) which attracted a lot of looks the one time I used it in public.
    It's a pity, as I love what it can do, but I've never taken it out since!

Why on earth not?? :) - have mine stuck on the front of a 5D most of the time. That or a 40 quid holga lens. I also currently have tin foil sellotaped all over the back of my film slr for shooting infrared. TLRs, 110 cameras, bright red cameras with 8 lenses on the front, weird looking 1970s yokes... none of it embarrasses me in the least. Don't see why it would!

Advertisement