Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Your favourite style of football

• 08-07-2010 5:46pm
    Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,528 Mod ✭✭✭✭

What's your poison?
    Hell-for leather attacking football where the aim is to score one more than the opposition?
    Defence-first. Shut them out and nick a winner?
    Tiki-taki possession where you don't let the other team touch the ball?
    Route one. Lash it into the big man and hope for the best?
    Counter attack. Sit back and wait for the mistake then strike like a cobra?
    All in the wings - spread it wide, get the cross in?
    Shoot on sight. Fuсk the build-up, just let fly when you see they whites of their eyes?
    Total football. The natural progression from five-a-side with fly goalies?
    Blood and thunder. Forget skill, just give your absolute all for 90 minutes and the gods will see you right?

Me, I like a game with two number tens pulling the strings. Close control, needle-eye passes behind the defence, games where the pace and direction change in the blink of an eye. I also think there should be more diving headers in football.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭KittyeeTrix

The 1st option......hell for leather:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Bodhisopha

I'm cultured, well educated and i have a deep appreciation for the technically superior, more intelligent, more beautiful side of the game. I like the Spanish "tiki taka" style.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭_Bella_

Mixture of hell for leather and counter-attacking

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

I do love a good counter attack, but not as the sole game plan.

Keeping possesion well and carving the opposition open would be my favourite I suppose, so tiki taka I imagine. Though Bohs aren't quite up to the level of Barca yet :).

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,528 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Bodhisopha wrote: »
    I'm cultured, well educated and i have a deep appreciation for the technically superior, more intelligent, more beautiful side of the game. I like the Spanish "tiki taka" style.

That's kind of funny because being cultured generally involves being able to appreciate a wide variety of aesthetic styles.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,258 ✭✭✭MUSEIST

hell for leather. I like teams that get the ball and attack very directly with players who try to get past people with good technique. I am not a fan of the 'pass until the opponent is comatose' idea, its technically good but very boring to watch.

Football is simple, its about winning and I detest teams like barca, arsenal, spain who take the moral high ground because apparently they 'play the game properly'. What a load of bullsh!t that is. People need to stop masturbating to teams like this, its disgusting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Liverpool 4 3 Newcastle is how I like my football. Counter-attacking. I enjoyed the winning Gemany performances this work cup for that reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Mrmoe

I like teams that can mix it up. If you look at the successful sides they all incorporate different styles into their play a mixture of possession football and counter attacking. If you look at the key qualities involved in any style movement with the ball and quick accurate passing are the key components. Any side that uses these I like to watch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,326 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

I've played at a higher level and understand the Spain/Barca type approach more than those who havn't,

Therefore i enjoy that most, and more as a result. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Pauleta

Italian football.

• Advertisement

That's kind of funny because being cultured generally involves being able to appreciate a wide variety of aesthetic styles.

Was that meant for me? What would make you think i don't appreciate a wide variety of styles?

Bodhisopha wrote: »
    Was that meant for me? What would make you think i don't appreciate a wide variety of styles?

I must have misunderstood your post. It read like a 'no fat chicks' personal ad the first time I looked at it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

the type that wins games tbh

I must have misunderstood your post. It read like a 'no fat chicks' personal ad the first time I looked at it.

You should be the mod in the "creative reading" section buddy!

roflmaopmsl

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Counter-attack. Having all wing-backs is vital though and they must have power and pace. Nothing more amazing than sprinting fro your own box to latch onto a cross with the noggin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

A cross breed between good work on the wings, a solid defence, and good counter-attacking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,014 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I like a good competitive game of football.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Like most people, I do like the team I support to try and play football most of the time and generally I lean toward "good football" but as a neutral, I can really enjoy anything. Often it's more about the game than anything - if it's competitive, dramatic or something like a footballing team trying to break down a more dour side.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

League Of Ireland Division One. Anyone who says any different is a glory hunter.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Chelsea 04/05 played flawless football imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Arsenal c. 99-04

Counter Attacking at its most deadly. (Except when teams parked the bus)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

Ultimately, the best football to watch is a team scoring goals and winning matches by playing to its strengths. Whatever they may be. A team that aren't working hard or trying too hard (ease of playing in that style rather than not arsed :P) and achieving is great to watch. Playing a simple game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Frisbee wrote: »
    Arsenal c. 99-04

Counter Attacking at its most deadly. (Except when teams parked the bus)

Cant get better than a team who has mastered the counter-attack. Watching the ball move from back to front between 5 or 6 players in no more than 10 seconds is something to behold.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

Live football. Any kind, any age, any standard. I can't explain it but if you love your football, you'll understand

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

A team that plays swift, passing football. I like risk takers who will try the audacious around the penalty area. Generally teams that I like have attacking full-backs, at least one out-and-out speedy winger (but they have to have 2 players out wide) and a skillful player in the hole behind a striker.

The way United ended the 2002/2003 season is a great example of such a set up. Keane and Butt in central midfield, O'Shea and Brown at full back, Solskjaer and Giggs out wide, Scholes in the hole and Van Nistelrooy up front. I loved how they played in that run in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

arsenals

oldyouth wrote: »
    Live football. Any kind, any age, any standard. I can't explain it but if you love your football, you'll understand

Think this is also important.

Going to matches regularly - anywhere - is a whole social thing that is not only about football and makes you a little more able to put up with bad football (speaking from bitter experience) and just savour the craic and excitement of the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

liverpool 4-0 real madrid. . . .it should've been 10.

• Moderators Posts: 8,728 ✭✭✭x PyRo

I actually love the way Holland are playing at this World Cup.

Hard working & tough tackling in midfield, Solid at the back (Most of the time), Great wing play, Wesley Snjeider-ism and good ball retention too. I'd love Arsenal to play like that instead of this tippy tappy crap.

Holland FTW.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭bUILDERtHEbOB

Liverpool's team for the second part of the season they came second. If you got that with better attacking full backs and a bit more pace on the flanks you'd be near perfection imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭jonnyfingers

I like adventurous football that uses many of the styles the OP suggests, adapting the style of play as the game goes on. I'm not a fan of shutting up shop and trying to catch teams on the break. I'm not a fan of the way the Irish team play currently, bypassing central midfield a lot and playing plenty of long balls.

Personally I like a team where the midfielders likes to look for the ball and play a simple pass. But there is nothing better than a quick hoof up to a quick attacker. That is one problem I notice with Spain, they play 20 lovely passes, inching their way up the field, but when there is a through ball or long pass on they ignore it and try to keep short passing the ball all the way into the goal.

I enjoy skillful, one-touch football but still respect a cross fired in and finished by an Andy Gray style diving header!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Short passing, keep possession, no rush, no hurry, smart, intelligent passes forward.

I HATE when players look to play a risky or aimless ball forward when there is an open easy play for them to make.

x PyRo wrote: »
    I actually love the way Holland are playing at this World Cup.

Hard working & tough tackling in midfield, Solid at the back (Most of the time), Great wing play, Wesley Snjeider-ism and good ball retention too. I'd love Arsenal to play like that instead of this tippy tappy crap.

Holland FTW.

Liked this article about the supposed new footballing pragmatism of the Dutch in this World Cup.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/blog/2010/jul/07/mark-van-bommel-holland-world-cup

• Moderators Posts: 8,728 ✭✭✭x PyRo

stovelid wrote: »
    Liked this article about the supposed new footballing pragmatism of the Dutch in this World Cup.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/blog/2010/jul/07/mark-van-bommel-holland-world-cup

Good article alright, Some great humour in it. Van Bommel may be a dirty fecker, But he's great at it. I enjoy watching him play funnily enough, There's a serious lack of players like him nowadays. He makes some horror tackles but he keeps that team ticking over, Works tirelessly and gives his all, Can't ask for much more. I just love the way they're playing, It's how I'd love to see more team play like this, Such a mix of flair players and battle hardened psychopaths. :pac:

Loved this..
    Officially he has breached the laws of the game just 15 times but there is a suspicion that Fifa's counters mean per minute.

and
    This Dutch side is really three-plus-seven. A trio of traditional masters – Robin van Persie, Arjen Robben and Wesley Sneijder – are supported by a larger gang of piano-shifters who have been educated the Dutch way but accept a reduced role in a cautious and hard-working ensemble.

:D Brilliant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,932 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Teams which have a villain, or a joker are always entertaining to watch. Cantona/Ronaldo/Keane, or a Bullard/Fowler.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

event wrote: »
    the type that wins games tbh

Pfft, worst style ever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

A healthy mix with no one of the mentioned styles dominating the rest.

Want a team where you never know what's coming next tbh, whether it's a long ball to pick out a run into the box, or a slow build up followed with a few lightning quick passes through the backs, or a long range shot when the opportunity is on the cards, fast counter one minute, slow methodical build up the next etc.

Not a team that does the same thing over and over and over..... Predictability is no fun to watch IMO. These teams sacrifice the fun side of football in order to follow a set gameplan, and it turns matches into dreary slogs with no spark of imagination. Whether it's a team constantly playing possession and short passes at the expense of a more direct attack, or it's a team constantly trying to run it wide down the wings where they keep getting nowhere.

prinz wrote: »
    A healthy mix with no one of the mentioned styles dominating the rest.

Want a team where you never know what's coming next tbh, whether it's a long ball to pick out a run into the box, or a slow build up followed with a few lightning quick passes through the backs, or a long range shot when the opportunity is on the cards, fast counter one minute, slow methodical build up the next etc.

Not a team that does the same thing over and over and over..... Predictability is no fun to watch IMO.

Like those jammy gets using Sub-Zero's iceball move as opposed to Shang Tsung's magic-multi-metamorphoses? I get you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

You can't beat a perfectly executed counter attack, I find them incredibly satisfying to watch, such as Ronaldo's goal against Arsenal in the CL a few years back when he Rooney and Park broke downfield in under 5 seconds. Devestating, fast paced, demoralising to the opposition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,326 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

GuanYin wrote: »

I HATE when players look to play a risky or aimless ball forward when there is an open easy play for them to make.

Have to say that drives me mad too,

From what i have seen the English were most guilty of this in the World Cup.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭TheTosh

Park the bus

Advertisement