Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lanparty pc, €500 budget

Options
  • 08-07-2010 6:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭

Going building a pc for my brother with a budget of €500. I've convinced him to build it around the NZXT Rogue or similar mATX case (needs to be portable) as it allows for a fullsize gpu. The things we've settled on are that graphics will most likely be a 5770, it'll have 4GB of generic pc6400 and a single Samsung 2TB F3 sata to start with. Not needing a cpu, I have a c2d here to get him going and I'll keep an eye out for a quad on Adverts. I'll be shopping on harwareversand.de if possible as its already setup on my bank account and can online transfer, I'll be ordering monday.

Anyone know where I can get a Rogue or anyone recommend a similar alternative?
    What mATX mobo to choose? Needs to be socket 775 and be able for upgrade to quad.
    Any other general advise or opinions

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

HWVS have the Vulcan and the Sugos. The Vulcan has a carry handle but I don't know if both 120mm fans are included and the 200mm fan certainly isn't, although without it the Vulcan is one of the few mATX cases out there that can fit a 92mm tower cooler. Its also bigger than the Sugos, although by extension smaller than a bank vault Rogue. The Sugo Mk1s are basic but workable. The Sugo Mk3s have gone back up in price again on HWVS; they hover around €90 and availability is sporadic. They don't have handles either (unlike the fugly monstrosity on the Mk4) but are very small and light for full-height mATX cases; the PSU's fan is used to exhaust air particularly from around the CPU cooler so only low-profile (<82mm) coolers can be used :o

As for mobo there's tons of cheap G41 junk on HWVS at the moment; if you're trying to save money get a reputable-brand one with 7.1 sound. Otherwise you're looking at nearly €80 for just a G43 or over €100 for a Q/G45. By comparison the Gene is under €140.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

119563.JPG

All this is missing is a cooler and psu, I'm not sure on these, both need to be very silent and there won't be any overclocking. I like Corsair psu's but the VX550W isn't in stock, is 450w is enough (it'll get a quad eventually and possibly another hd)? Any other gpu I should be considering here, this 5770 was picked cos it has HDMI?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭massy086

http://www.adverts.ie/248394/hardware/corsair-vx450w/ make this guy an offer might get a good deal

massy086 wrote: »
    http://www.adverts.ie/248394/hardware/corsair-vx450w/ make this guy an offer might get a good deal

If it was for me, I'd rather spend €60 and get a warranty

well all corsair psu,s have 5 year warranty so u should be good to go

• Advertisement

well all corsair psu,s have 5 year warranty so u should be good to go

5-2=3 ;)

Other than a second hand cpu which I'm giving him for free to get him going (as I have it lying around), this pc is gettting all new parts, its not for me and will more than likely end up being shipped abroad.

What other gpu's are in the €130-150 mark?What other good performers are there under €200

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

Keep an eye on pixmania, in the last couple of months ive seen the vapor-x 5770 vary from 180 to sub 150

And you can buy a HD5830 for under €170...

Now what cpu cooler and psu would You recommend Solitaire?

• Advertisement

i would of thought stock cooler if no overclocking at all????

i would of thought stock cooler if no overclocking at all????

If I had one and I said silent, stock cooler isn't that

• Registered Users Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

Wondering if the Vulcan is that good - reviews say its even flimsier than the other NZXT cases and also the top fans are practically covering the CPU socket :o You'd be lucky to get an Arctic Freezer 7 Pro V2 in there :o

It does have a fan control though :D

Yeah, the case is the one thing I'll not be picking myself, its just a price filler to estimate costs. He's seen one he likes on ebuyer, no idea what it is yet and he's away till mon. I'm not a fan of the vulgarvulcan either.

Need a psu, one thats in stock. I'm a fan of Corsair psu's but the VX550W isn't in stock. 5770 takes single 6pin pcie

Advertisement