Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dragon Age 2

Options
  • 08-07-2010 6:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭

http://dragonage.bioware.com/da2/

Good news IMO as I loved Origins and Awakening. The DLC has mostly been a let down however so it's good to see Bioware start on a completely new Dragon Age game rather than bring out more stale add ons.

I'm sure they'll find a way to **** it up but so long as Shale comes back all will be forgiven.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32 eclipse05

Just can't wait! :D
    I'm playing again Dragon Age. Trying to get Platinum trophy :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 thanatos12

Cant wait for this either, gonna be savage!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭Diom

Looks like the conversation engine and a couple of other things will be moved to a more Mass Effect type system. I love ME and Da so it will be interesting to see how these blend. Bioware really seem to be trying to move their games towards interactive story telling rather than hard-core "remember to drink some water" RPGs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

...move their games towards?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

Nope heard no'th about it.
    Must say I've come to the conclusion that 'collectors' edition are nothing but a scam to removed money from the pockets of the gullible.

As someone wiser than I told me anything with the word collectable is not a collectable :p

I do wish someone would bring out something like nwn again, I must the old multiplayer malarkey.

Ooohh, hadn't seen the release date... It's during my college midterm!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

Raphael wrote: »
    Ooohh, hadn't seen the release date... It's during my college midterm!

I suggest you give yourself the year off :)

It's cool.. If I buy it on launch day, and complete it inside 10 days.. then provided I've gotten on my college work done in the 4 days of the midterm beforehand, I'm good!

Yeah, I ain't playing that till the summer... =(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭Creature

Another trailer.

I don't know really, I am looking forward to it, but I'm not holding much hope on it being anything special. They seem to have dumbed it down a good bit in favour of the Mass Effect goes medieval type thing.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,313 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

There's a Penny Arcade themed item available:

http://dragonage.bioware.com/da2/info/pennyarcade/

You need to sign up to the DA newsletter to get it added.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭Jonah42

• I'm a bit of a noob when it comes to system requirements. I was able to run the first Dragon age on medium with a Radeon X1300/1550 series graphics card. Is that enough to meet the minimum requirement (see below) for DA2?
    • DA2 Video: Radeon HD 2600 Pro 256MB and the NVIDIA GeForce 7900 GS 256MB cards

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Jonah42 wrote: »

• I'm a bit of a noob when it comes to system requirements. I was able to run the first Dragon age on medium with a Radeon X1300/1550 series graphics card. Is that enough to meet the minimum requirement (see below) for DA2?
    • DA2 Video: Radeon HD 2600 Pro 256MB and the NVIDIA GeForce 7900 GS 256MB cards
    Bookmark this link:

http://www.systemrequirementslab.com/cyri/

When you run it from the computer you'll be playing on, it'll let you know roughly if your computer can handle it and/or where it might be letting you down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭Jonah42

I've used that website before. It said I wouldn't be able to run the first Dragon Age. Dunno why, I can play with all the settings on medium.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-02-02-dragon-age-ii-demo-for-public-or-not

saw this video of the combat on eurogamer,looks cool,I could never get into the first dragon age,found it difficult to play,must try it again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭BrerWolf

the demo for da2 is meant to be coming out today - anyone had a look at it yet?

hoping that it will be available for the mac, as my Xbox will not connect to the internet:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Just got it and played it there. In short, it's destroyed, it's a button basher all the way now. God of War with a bit more story and Mass Effect conversations. The game just plays itself in combat, just press A about 100 times and you win.

This thing plays like a bad dream, what happened Bioware, sell out to the mass market casual gamer did we? Just like you did with Mass Effect 2.:(

I'm glad they released the demo for this, I can cancel my pre order now and use it for Deus Ex, unless that is wrecked too and is no where near the roots of the great Deus Ex 1.

Just got the demo last night myself, and I have to agree with the Captain.
    There might be more in the full game, but the demo makes it feel like an closed in faux-RPG with nothing but a straight path of button bashing.

Also downloaded the two worlds 2 demo. Looks terrible, sounds bad, but plays a thousand times better than DA2.

so I reckon I'll buy that instead...

I played it as well, and though it was different, I like the kind of game it's going towards, so the gameplay changed don't bother me. To be honest, I'm completely unsurprised by it - DA was a PC game with an ok console port, but the console sales completely outstripped the PC ones. Can't fault Bioware for making the sequel something that will play better on the platform most people are playing it.

At the end of the day, I play bioware games for story and characters, and the gameplay shift won't change the focus on that, so I'm looking forward to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Pwnzorz

I want to try the demo out soon, I am going to download it now.
    By the way I am new to the forum so hello everyone!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

The first thing that i thought of when i played this was ,
    They have made streets of rage into 3d :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭BizzyC

I tried it on both PC and Xbox, it actually plays better on the PC, but it has ruined he gameplay from the original.

I will probably play it at some stage, but it's dropped down to the bottom of my queue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

it felt a wee bit more like a hack and slash in the demo, much faster paced, but I enjoyed it.

I'll definitely check it out.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Loved DA but based on the PC demo of DA2 its little more than hack and slash.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,183 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

Jaysus, played the demo and I have to say I'm speechless. Its totally dumbed down. If this trend continues the old Baldurs Gate style RPG will become extinct. Sad.:mad:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,313 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

This is the official high res texture pack. You'll need DX11 capabilities to get the most out of it:

http://social.bioware.com/page/da2-patches

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Peetrik

Just been playing it for a few days, I like it.

I remember feeling the same slight disappointment when NWN2 came out, it all seemed a bit nerfed and sandboxed, but that turned out great once the prestige classes were added and I realised I should learn the crafting.

DA2 is different from DA1 but I wouldnt call it a button masher, Id actually say its more similar to Mass effect 2 with its cross class combos and character interaction.
    I have to say I like the navigation map too, with lots of areas and subareas it could have gotten very messy but I think it came out really well.

My 2c

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Don't base your opinion on the demo. The first hour of the game is very "auto-attack" heavy to lure the morons in.....but it returns to the more tactical pause / think / execute of dragon age 1 after that.

I think that demo will hurt sales more than help personally.

ended up playing the game.....

It's not bad, but its not good either.

The plot/story, which should be the best part of the game, is just dumb.
    Won't give any spoilers, but basically there isn't enough story here, it isn't thought out very well and it seems to be streched out in order to make the game longer than a rental.

The combat, isn't bad - lots of ways to hurt people.
    But you're always hitting the same 6 different attackers.

Basically not a bad game but it ain't what you would be expecting from Bioware.

Thank god we've still got the witcher / KOA and skyrim to come...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭Generic_name01

I think overall the game is if bioware was having another stab at another jade empire type game. I still think its worth getting BUT I think if this was a new IP or differnet game people wouldnt mind the new style. I think Bioware should Keep dragon age like origins in terms of strategy and combat and use this template for something else. If you liked dragon age at all, this will still work for you, its just annoying how dumbdowned it all is.

Best way of looking at this game is like a close mate who makes some new friends and acts different. Ye still get on really well but sometimes he'll do things that piss you off. ;)

Advertisement