Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CPU upgrade question

Options
  • 08-07-2010 6:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭

I have a Dell Dimension 8300 which I have upgraded through the years (ram, 2nd hard drive, graphics card). Is is possible or feasable to upgrade the CPU? Will there be a worthwhile increase in performance for games?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Unless you've already upgraded the motherboard and PSU to something more modern its not really feasible :o

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭brendor

Cheers for the reply, I thought that the motherboard would be obsolete at this stage. Would the budget builds run recent games like Dragon Age well?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Depends on what kind of budget. "Ultrabudget" rigs would run most of them okay, €500-600 rigs like from the Budget Gaming PC thread are usually designed to run most recent games fairly well even at Full HD resolution... but the aforementioned sum of money doesn't cover OS, monitor or peripherals...

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭brendor

Thanks for the info

Advertisement