Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which provider UPC-Magnet-Wimax

• 08-07-2010 6:28pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 211 ✭✭

Hi guys

I'm looking at getting digital TV and broadband. I do not want to enter into anything longer that 12 month contract. 10GB per month download would be more that enough. I'm in Dublin 13 with WIMax, UPC and Magnet all available.

Any advice greatly appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Knasher

UPC > Magnet > WiMax.

I doubt anybody would argue with me over that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 211 ✭✭laurpat

Knasher wrote: »
    UPC > Magnet > WiMax.

I doubt anybody would argue with me over that.

What is the reason behind the above?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Imagine Wimax (I assume that's who you mean) would be at the bottom because they don't do a digital TV service, and it's not broadband. Magnet next, because of the price, and lack of digital TV service in most areas of service. UPC at the top because of price and best availability of both TV and broadband.

I'd say that just about covers it.

If i was to go without digital TV - WIMax looks good? I've UPC analog . I can live with that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭Salvation

Wimax is complete and utter crap, speeds sometimes just above dial up steer clear and take UPC or Magnet for real broadband.

Read the thread about Wimax in the Midband subsection.

It is by far the worst service ever to be in Ireland so save yourself the hassle and heartache.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

You can have UPC broadband without ANY of their TV. My Daughter does that and uses FTA satellite for TV.

I can get "Fibre to the home" with Magnet. I think the estste is fibre wired

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Fibre is good. Get that if it's available. After that, UPC, then anything else, then Imagine wimax.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

UPC broadband is excellent; much better than Magnet from what I have seen. I have 15mb UPC at home and I have never once gotten less than 14.5mb from my connection.

WiMax isnt even in the same league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Magnet have I think 3 kinds of Broadband:
    Swift: Resold eircom Bitstream?
    ??? : LLU or GLUMP? on DSL
    Fibre: Serious Broadband! Probably better than UPC

• Advertisement
  • Company Representative Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭Magnet: Rory

Can we give you a call?

Advertisement