Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

House sharing

Options
  • 08-07-2010 6:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭

Hi

I'm looking to house share for the first time and have been checking ads on daft.ie

I was warned by friends that owner occupied is generally not the best to go for as the owner generally treats you like a guest rather then housemate.

I'm just wondering what my rights are if i houseshare with stranger from daft.ie?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭HardyEustace

Hi

I'm looking to house share for the first time and have been checking ads on daft.ie

I was warned by friends that owner occupied is generally not the best to go for as the owner generally treats you like a guest rather then housemate.

I'm just wondering what my rights are if i houseshare with stranger from daft.ie?

That's not necessarily true. The same could be said of someone who is the primary leaseholder as well.

Your rights are dictated by whether or not you're on the lease I think. I'm not sure what your rights are if you sublease or equally if you're subleasing with a contract how binding that is or is not.

I think it's more important to be in a house with like minded people and people around the same age as you. You're more likely to have things in common with them and the same values. If you're a party person then don't go into a house with people who have a quiet social life.

There are advantages and disadvantages to every scenario. You've to figure out what the important criteria are to you and go from there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

To be honest, after thinking about it I'd rather not move in with complete strangers. I'd rather move out with friends or workmates that I know I all ready get on with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

To be honest, after thinking about it I'd rather not move in with complete strangers. I'd rather move out with friends or workmates that I know I all ready get on with.

....that you get on with in the pub or work or whatever, bear in mind that living with them is completely different!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭bugler

It is, and I've friends who I' rather not live with. But I also know that even if they're a bit annoying to live with they're not complete nutters.

I lived with an owner occupier before. It was fine and we got on well, but 5 months in she decided she wanted to live with her boyfriend and I got the boot. I got a month's notice and probably wasn't even entitled to that.

People always trot out the "you'll be treated as a guest rather than a resident" line but to me the biggest mark against living with an owner occupier is your status as licensee rather than tenant. You have reduced security, and it really isn't your place in any sense.

I would suggest waiting (if you can) and moving in with someone you get on with or know in some way, which seems to be the way you're leaning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

bugler wrote: »
    I would suggest waiting (if you can) and moving in with someone you get on with or know in some way, which seems to be the way you're leaning.

I think that's the best course of action. I'd rather sign a lease with a friend and be equal tenant then move into some strangers house share and have no rights.

Edit: I don't think I'm social enough to live with strangers yet

• Advertisement
Advertisement