Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Domain name SEO questions?

Options
  • 08-07-2010 7:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭

Just a few quick questions for those in the know. I'm looking to get a business related domain name and I've a few options open to me. On the SEO front which of the following examples holds more weight for seo?

thisismybusiness.com

this-is-my-business.com

Also does it make much odds to use a different gTLD if a .com is gone? The site would be directed at Ireland so I could go with an .ie and maybe a .biz redirecting but does it matter that much?

Thanks

ding

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

personally i'd go for .ie and leave the hyphens out. if you really want to use the hyphens i'd buy the other one anyway to prevent others from getting it.

make sure the .com isn't a competitor or potentially you may lose business to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Pretty much as Random says. Google et al are smart enough to parse without the need for hyphens. Hyphens are also not great for branding. Choose your main market (.ie for you) and 301 redirect the others to that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭WebGeek

Your on the right track about domain names and seo. Forget the hyphens and get an ie and the com domain name. If your exclusively targeted at Ireland then use your ie as the main one. Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

If the site is hosted in Ireland and is targetting Ireland then you won't really need the .ie

Hyphens are used by the German speaking market quite a bit, but have never been popular with English speakers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

Thanks for the replies and good advice.

The site will be hosted in the U.S. (sorry BN) but based on all the advice I'll definitely be using a .ie domain (BN) and using google tools to define geographic target as Ireland etc. Not sure that a redirect will add much weight so I think I'll see how it goes without one first.

• Advertisement

You don't need to setup a geotarget for a .ie - it will automatically be set to Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 3,979 ✭✭✭Vurnon San Benito

Blacknight - Is it possible to buy .ie domain names without purchasing a hosting package?

Sorry OP for going off-topic!

All I can say is that, from experience, the domain name makes a big difference to SEO and less hyphens you have, the better off you are ;)
    They don't look good anyway.

Doocey wrote: »
    Blacknight - Is it possible to buy .ie domain names without purchasing a hosting package?

Yes - of course

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭RedCardinal

Blacknight wrote: »
    You don't need to setup a geotarget for a .ie - it will automatically be set to Ireland

I'll one-up you Michele - You can't set the geotarget for .ie. The geotarget option is not available for ccTLD. But you knew this already :)

Dingatron wrote: »
    this-is-my-business.com

2 things that might be useful:

1. I'm pretty sure Google has said that domains with more than 2 hyphens might not be a good idea;
    2. Try searching on some of your keywords. How many hyphenated domains do you see in the top 100? I'll hazard <5% if even that. That could be a good indicator that people don't particularly like hyphenated domains.

As a bonus - I always ask people how would they advertise that hyphenated domain on the radio? That usually puts them off hyphens :)

• Advertisement

I'll one-up you Michele - You can't set the geotarget for .ie. The geotarget option is not available for ccTLD. But you knew this already :)
    ROFL - yes

Though I'll one up you ..

You can target *some* ccTLDs - .me is one :)

ROFL - yes

Though I'll one up you ..

You can target *some* ccTLDs - .me is one :)

Nuts. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,979 ✭✭✭Vurnon San Benito

Yes - of course

In that I mean, for a reasonable price? :D

Doocey wrote: »
    In that I mean, for a reasonable price? :D
    We charge the same price regardless of whether you host with us or not

In any case, if you have any questions either contact us directly or via our forum here on boards: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=375

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 francophile

Definitely .id TLD if you are targetting Ireland
    No hyphes if possible
    Get your important keywords at the beginning of the domain name.

Advertisement