Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Giant Defy 4, Check this out, Good Deal?

• 08-07-2010 7:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭

Hey... Im coming towards the end of the search. Howr these for Prices.. Thinking of buying tomorrow, so replies asap please would be great smile.gif

1. Giant Defy 4 599 euro
    2. Track Pump - 28 euro
    3. Mini Pump - BMP 4C 22 euro
    4. Cycle Computer - BBB or Union 20 euro
    5. Spare Tubes 6 euro
    6. Tyre Levers - BBB 3.50 euro
    7. Saddle Bag - BBB 18 euro
    8. Helmet - Met Cosmo or BBB 40 euro
    9. Gloves - Gel Lined 18 euro
    10. Shorts / Jersey (Team Jerseys' Astana, etc and BBB Shorts) 90 euro
    11. Bottle Holder - Aluminium 12 euro

Total Price - 790 euro.. Good or bad? Im thinking good.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,857 ✭✭✭langdang

Thats the standard RRP of the bike, and the price of the gear looks like he didn't do you any deal there either.
    They have cycle to work scheme as an ATM at the moment so they are probably not falling over themselves to give deals, but there's no harm trying, especially if it's 100% hard-earned highly-taxed moola rather than coming out of a cycle to work scheme?

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭Ky Abu

Oh ok.. interesting analysis. Its hard to see where I can get better value bar buyin the items randomly from different locations online

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

Agree with langdang above, those prices are all fairly high retail prices. The sum of all the components adds up to 856.50 so if they're offering you it for 790 that only amounts to a 7.76% discount which is pretty paltry. I wouldn't be inclined to purchase all of that given that discount as the prices are relatively high to begin with. I'm guessing this is with the CycleSuperStore?
    I believe the CycleSuperStore offer discounts in the region of 10-15% to frequent customers so if putting in a big spend like the above there's no reason why you shouldn't demand at least 15%.
    If purchasing the bike and accessories through the BTW scheme don't let that dissuade you from negotiating the best price since it's your money whether gross or nett.

hey, its not with cyclesuperstore, just with a local Kerry shop. I have priced different items online on e-bay etc but im not sure which is quality and which is rubbish, like I would like to spend about 200 max on the extra's for now, and I can be adding then after. For my list of extra's, any particular brands I should be looking for?? Or good sites which sell these items?

And just to add. Its not as part of the Bike to Work Scheme.

• Advertisement

If not purchasing through a restrictive CTW scheme you have all the flexibility the internet brings. Granted there are advantages in purchasing instore and viewing the items before hand but often the increased prices seem unjustified if you know what you want. For instance I recently bought a multitool in case in need of road side repairs, I wanted to get one with a chain breaker and after extensive research finally settled on the Topeak Mini 18+ from Chain Reaction Cycles.
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=11318
    I paid a total €25.47 given the exchange rate at the time but I saw the exact same multi tool in Halfords for €39.95 that same week. Don't know how Halfords can justify such a mark up especially since they're supposed to be a large chain discount store.
    Anyway in terms of purchasing from the internet and various different stores it really pays to shop around. Local stores can have great deals rivaling and beating online prices so don't give up on the local store either plus it's an advantage if in need of parts/repairs quick.
    Online stores I find really good are
    ChainReactionCycles http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/
    Wiggle http://www.wiggle.co.uk/
    Both offer free postage to Ireland and have very good prices and range in most things
    Other stores worth checking also are
    ProBikeKit http://www.probikekit.com/
    EvansCycles http://www.evanscycles.com/
    SlaneCycles https://www.slanecycles.com

In terms of brand names for accessories it's really hard to determine what's good and bad. I believe Topeak have a very good reputation for pumps, saddle bags and other smaller items. Parktool have a good reputation for tools but are rather expensive (recently bought the ParkTool chaincleaner from Wiggle). BBB are deemed to be a cheaper option but unsure as to quality as don't actually own anything either in terms of tools or clothing/accessories.

Thanks Dr.... I have something to work off now. All the advice is great. Want to get as good a deal as possible

No problem, good luck with the research and bargain hunting. I can be a bit pedantic in terms of researching and pricing items but then feel re-assured I've gotten the best value for my money. Currently researching and pricing a pair of cycling shoes.
    Also bear in mind that Wiggle and perhaps some other stores can sometimes do a price promise where they will match other online stores for the same item. This can have a bearing if the store offer free postage etc.

let me know how you get on in the shoe hunt, il be doing the same myself :):):):)

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭Murphj7

I got a 4 week old Defy 3 for sale. 585 4 weeks old. Got a Planet X as a present didnt know. 700 new

• Advertisement

what size is that defy?? what part of the country?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

I was told that bike prices are set by the wholesaler so theres not much move to discount on the bike itself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

BostonB wrote: »
    I was told that bike prices are set by the wholesaler so theres not much move to discount on the bike itself.

The RRPs are designed to protect retailer margins by preventing competition. Smells like cartel behaviour to me.

This is one of the reasons I don't own a Giant or Trek.

Maybe I'm wrong but the prices of most bikes regardless of brand in Dublin seem to be the same everywhere. The only times its cheaper is when they sell of last years stock.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

I went to humphries cycles in finglas, got most of the stuff listed above excluding the helmet and jersey all for €500. I think it was a decent deal. €790 seems high.

Anyways trust me, you ll end up replacing half the stuff anyway when you realise its crap i.e you ll end up buying a better track pump, a better mini pump, a nicer helmet, a better computer.Its inevitable!

My advice is buy the bike by itself, research the various bits of equipment and buy decent items or you ll just spend more replacing them later.

How much was the bike in humphries?

Hey... The biggest issue I see in getting the extra bit for the bike is knowing which is a good brand and which is rubbish.... Like in the case of the computer.. its a jungle. If i just put the list down here again, could people just suggest possible brands I could look out for...
    1. Track Pump -
    2. Mini Pump -
    3. Cycle Computer -
    4. Spare Tubes -
    5. Tyre Levers -
    6. Saddle Bag -
    7. Helmet -
    8. Gloves -
    9. Shorts / Jersey -
    10. Bottle Holder -
    Thanks, and sorry for being such a pain!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,857 ✭✭✭langdang

Ky Abu wrote: »
    Oh ok.. interesting analysis. Its hard to see where I can get better value bar buyin the items randomly from different locations online
    Ah, I see now... was at work so had better things to be doing than calculating how much of a discount you got - I though those were the prices after discount. Tear away boy, go for it.

BostonB wrote: »
    How much was the bike in humphries?
    I think €550 or so, but like all LBS go down and they ll do you a deal and throw in stuff, especially if it means they keep your custom.

langdang wrote: »
    Ah, I see now... was at work so had better things to be doing than calculating how much of a discount you got - I though those were the prices after discount. Tear away boy, go for it.

Would it cost much to replace the Handlebars on a Giant Defy 3? I see one for sale, but Hybrid (Straight bars) were put on for the sake of the user.

And you think thats 790 for all those things is good enough value so ya? The man in the Bike shop uses a lot of the gear he is giving me a price on, so if he is using it on his bike (which i saw) it must be good..??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 139 ✭✭gerardduff

Hey... The biggest issue I see in getting the extra bit for the bike is knowing which is a good brand and which is rubbish.... Like in the case of the computer.. its a jungle. If i just put the list down here again, could people just suggest possible brands I could look out for...
    1. Track Pump -
    2. Mini Pump -
    3. Cycle Computer -
    4. Spare Tubes -
    5. Tyre Levers -
    6. Saddle Bag -
    7. Helmet -
    8. Gloves -
    9. Shorts / Jersey -
    10. Bottle Holder -
    Never heard of a jungle computer, must be for a mountain bike....hey ho.
    When it comes to bikes/bike gear/bike accessories you gets whats you pays fors.

You can pay E100 for a track pump, if you're mental enough.

Best rule of thumb is; don't buy muck unless it's muc off, don't break the bank and read a review or two before you buy. You've got to read a review or two.

My opinion only
    1. Track Pump - http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=4949
    2. Mini Pump -http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=24666
    3. Cycle Computer -Cat eye wirless/cat eye strada up to garmin 500 depending on what you can afford
    4. Spare Tubes -Any
    5. Tyre Levers - Tacx but any will generally do
    6. Saddle Bag - BBB is fine
    7. Helmet - any bell/giro/met etc. go into a shop try it for size and head shape. dont buy online first time.
    8. Gloves - Giro but most will be fine
    9. Shorts / Jersey - go to prendas ciclismo for some nice gear
    10. Bottle Holder - Who cares

Buying second hand is a waiting game. Is this the bike you saw? Changing the handlebars to drops means changing the brakes and gear selector...you don't want that...do you?

gerardduff wrote: »
    Buying second hand is a waiting game. This is guessing is the bike you saw. Changing the handlebars to drops means changing the brakes and gear selector...you don't want that...do you?

i wouldnt know how to... bike shop would have to do it for me definately

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭Doc Daneeka

Buying second hand is a waiting game. Is this the bike you saw? Changing the handlebars to drops means changing the brakes and gear selector...you don't want that...do you?

Strange, why would the owner of that bike changed to flat bars have cycled less than 500km on it. Surely if they knew they wanted flat bars they should have just bought a Giant Rapid in the first place.

1. Track Pump -
    2. Mini Pump -
    3. Cycle Computer -
    4. Spare Tubes -
    5. Tyre Levers -
    6. Saddle Bag -
    7. Helmet -
    8. Gloves -
    9. Shorts / Jersey -
    10. Bottle Holder -

For the track pump I'd suggest one of the Topeak Joe Blow pumps, I bought the Joe Blow Sprint last year based on recommendations here and find it very good.
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=4950

Regarding the mini pump, I've done some research on these lately and although pricey the Lezyne Road Drive Mini Pump has gotten very good reviews
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Lezyne_Road_Drive_Mini_Pump/5360040898/
    Alternatively the Topeak Pocket Rocket DX mini pump has gotten very good reviews
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=7352
    In the end I went with a combined mini pump and CO2 inflator based on reviews here also
    http://www.genuineinnovations.com/bicycle/commuter-touring/second-wind-road-carbon-mini.html
    I only ordered this last week so still waiting on delivery.

Regarding the cycle computer there are alot of options so depends on what your budget is and what you want/desire ie basic computer for speed/distance or combined with heart rate monitor, cadence sensor, gps mapping etc. Can't really go wrong with any of the Polar's or Cateye's I'd say. I bought the Garmin 705 edge last year and find it very good since I wanted mapping functionality for some touring and longer random cycles. It is expensive though.

Tyre levels, I went for the Crank Brothers Speed Lever
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=8176
    combined with the tyre level that's already part of the multi tool.

For a saddle bay I have the Topeak Aero Wedge Strap on
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=7361
    These are supposed to be more robust than the clip on were some reviews have indicated problems with the bag moving around somewhat and the clip breaking after a period of time.

Can't really comment on the clothing items are these are more linked to your size, taste and budget. Generally I think you have to try/buy a helmet in store to get the correct size and fit. Not all manufacturers in the same size have the same fitting so get one that's comfortable.

thats great tips! Thanks :)

My guess is that bike came as is....with flat bars. It was sold as a hybrid. Probably with a set of wide rims. Ad says he won a planet x and so this is taking up space.

My advice is to save your money until you see the bike you want...then go for it. You save yourself money in the long run by buying better. You can't give away sh1t cycle gear, whereas buying good second hand stuff can be a joy.

Do your homework so you know what's what when it comes to parting with your hard earned cash

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭on_the_nickel

For good quality, reasonably priced clothing, I'd recommend dhb stuff on wiggle.com

Went out earlier in the week looking like I was sponsored by them. Might look into that actually.......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭Doc Daneeka

My guess is that bike came as is....with flat bars. It was sold as a hybrid. Probably with a set of wide rims. Ad says he won a planet x and so this is taking up space.

It's clearly marked Defy though. Defy and Rapid are practically the same but the Defy has drops and Rapid flat bars. Odd if a new bike was built that way.

Yeah...I should have said I saw the defy logo. Strange but not impossible. LBS will make changes like that to move a bike. If you ever see a crappy frame with good components they're trying to move the frame, for instance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Thief

Planet X are selling off some of their jerseys at really big discounts atm. I bought a ss & ls jersey from them - good quality & worth the money imo!

Buy a decent u lock (Evo mini) from e-bay/amazon as there so much cheaper than from a store.

Advertisement