Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do I make this bigger, and poster-making

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

You can't add information that isn't there.
    You can interpolate but it will look blurry with the available material.
    JPEG artefacts will also look terrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

Short answer you can't. The image is 72 dpi which is fine for the net but not for print, there's no way to to make that image any larger, it would prob print blurry at the size it's at now, never mind blowing it up larger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭StormWarrior

Oh ok. I am really disappointed! Thanks for the info though.

You could vector trace it and go for that A Scanner Darkly look.
    Then you can print it to any size.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

I know its not the exact same image but you might be able to use this file:

http://www.atariage.com/Lynx/archives/poster_manuals/images/BillNTedsExcellentAdventure_front_2400.jpg

its a much larger file than the one you posted...

• Advertisement

neacy69 wrote: »
    I know its not the exact same image but you might be able to use this file:

http://www.atariage.com/Lynx/archives/poster_manuals/images/BillNTedsExcellentAdventure_front_2400.jpg

its a much larger file than the one you posted...

hmmmm it's not actually larger...it's 28 dpi which is alot lower then the other one.

Seriously your not going to find a high enough res version online. The reason those poster sites charge so much for large posters is because they've paid for the high res files to print them from.

It's 2400 × 3000 pixels versus 480 × 755. Of course it's larger. DPI is meaningless without an absolute reference on the number of pixels.

You could probably clean up that bigger version into what you want.

Sorry your right the image is bigger but still no good for print. Printing is just math. you open up said image in PS that displays at 28 dpi and the displayed size (at 28 dpi) is 2400 x 3000 pixels. Now, if you print that image at 28 dpi, then you can print an image that's 85" by 105" (2400/28 and 3000/28). But we don't print good stuff at 28, we print good stuff at 300. So, if you print that same image at 300 dpi, then you can print a good quality print at 8" x 10" (2400/300 and 3000/300). which is bit less the A4 size wise.

Sure it'll still be crap compared to the €75 poster. But the OP is here on the cheap and can't expect miracles. A bit of PS might help bump the quality a bit that he may find acceptable.

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭joconnell

DPI is relative to viewing distance though - the only stuff printed at 300 dpi is what you hold quite close to your face - a4 / a3 size. For large prints and billboards you print them much lower res as to actually take in the entire poster you've got to stand much further back and thus you won't see any dots. You'd probably get away with 150 for this and get an a3.

• Advertisement

I appreciate the info, but I hardly know anything about technology and I don't understand any of it. Vector trace and PS, I don't know what this is, I'm looking them up now but I am really awful with this kind of stuff. Can anyone do it for me?

PS = Photoshop. The software synonymous with editing photos.

Vector graphics is a type of computer graphics. Everyone knows about pixels. Your camera has lots of them. In a grid pixels make up an image.
    pixels.jpg

With vector you essentially replace the pixels with a join the dots approach.
    The computer joins the dots with mathematical curves. So with such images you can scale them to any side on your monitor's given number of pixels. The mathematical curves are true for any number of pixels you have. The images tend to look "cartoonish".
    800px-Inkscape0.45.png

If you think of a wire-frame in 3D computer models you're getting the idea, only vector is typically a 2D representation of an image.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Chochese

Is what the OP wants to do a form of piracy or copyright infringement anyhow?

Should this be treated any differernt to asking how to download music via torrents, which is frownes upon on Boards?

Thanks for the help everyone, but it seems that it doesn't matter now. A while ago I emailed amazon to ask if they had any (because they were advertising them, yet none were available) but they didn't. But now they have updated and got some full-sized posters of this for £11.99! I was so excited that I actually came in my pants when I saw that. Anyway, I have ordered one. I am worried that something will go wrong and it will turn out that they don't have any after all, but so far it seems that one will be on its way to me soon. I'm relieved because all of this techno-talk is just totally out of my league!

I was so excited that I actually came in my pants when I saw that.

I hope it's laminated!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

ztoical wrote: »
    Sorry your right the image is bigger but still no good for print. Printing is just math. you open up said image in PS that displays at 28 dpi and the displayed size (at 28 dpi) is 2400 x 3000 pixels. Now, if you print that image at 28 dpi, then you can print an image that's 85" by 105" (2400/28 and 3000/28). But we don't print good stuff at 28, we print good stuff at 300. So, if you print that same image at 300 dpi, then you can print a good quality print at 8" x 10" (2400/300 and 3000/300). which is bit less the A4 size wise.

That image is 72dpi (ppi). You never changed it from pixels per centimetre.

Changing it to 150dpi gives it a size of 85x110cm and reasonable quality for a poster. You would however want to put a bit of work in removing the creases etc.

Advertisement