Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dating sites?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭hollypink

badbeat wrote: »
    Hi ,
    been trying to delete account from Plentyoffish dating site. Can't do it. going round in circles.
    Even filled in relationship needs assesment.
    They are making it so hard now.
    Anyone managed it lateley if so how. Thanks for reading.

I deleted my profile on POF ages ago so I guess it's changed but does 'Resign' not work? (sign into account, click on Resign under menu bar), enter username, password and reason for leaving)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 badbeat

hollypink wrote: »
    I deleted my profile on POF ages ago so I guess it's changed but does 'Resign' not work? (sign into account, click on Resign under menu bar), enter username, password and reason for leaving)

Under which 'initial' menu is the resign button.
    I don't see any resign button, only 'delete button via 'help menu.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Whats with the link?
    Followed that, first page is sign in as usual followed by same delete system as before....not working . been there done that dozens of times.

Thanks for your thoughts.

mood wrote: »
    I think I would need to have the chat with a guy I meet online to see what the story is but that's just me.

Well call me crazy if you like, but I trust him. And I've met my fair share of messers to know he isnt one. If he hasnt got around to it already I'm sure he'll take it down when he does.

I dont want to have the 'where do we stand talk', Im happy to go with the flow for now :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭seenitall

Well call me crazy if you like, but I trust him. And I've met my fair share of messers to know he isnt one. If he hasnt got around to it already I'm sure he'll take it down when he does.

I dont want to have the 'where do we stand talk', Im happy to go with the flow for now :)

Yeah I don't get all that "Is s/he off the site now - will I delete my profile off or won't I" talk... Like going exclusive with someone is a guarantee of happily-ever-after. It's not. I think it is wiser and less pressure on a budding relationship for both people to leave their profiles active. If it's the real deal, you will both become completely inactive on the site soon enough.

I take a long view of things: far better to give a guy plenty of rope and watch what he does with it, than tether him firmly to your side and risk him resenting you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,264 ✭✭✭mood

seenitall wrote: »
    Yeah I don't get all that "Is s/he off the site now - will I delete my profile off or won't I" talk... Like going exclusive with someone is a guarantee of happily-ever-after. It's not. I think it is wiser and less pressure on a budding relationship for both people to leave their profiles active. If it's the real deal, you will both become completely inactive on the site soon enough.

I take a long view of things: far better to give a guy plenty of rope and watch what he does with it, than tether him firmly to your side and risk him resenting you.

I wouldn't like to be out going with a guy who is actively seeking out or dating or sleeping with other women. I don't think being exclusive with someone is a guarantee of happily-ever-after but being one of many women a guy seeing certainly isn't. I'm a one man woman and want to meet a man who would be the same.

I was talking to a girl I met on OKCupid. She is an absolutely amazing girl and extraordinarily pretty, but also genuine and kind and funny.. basically everything I've been looking for in a girl. We were both falling slowly for each other and were hoping to meet soon - she lives in Dublin, I don't. About 2 month ago she told me her father was very sick and they were worried he might not have long left. She's very close with her father and told me she won't be online much but she promised she will be back soon.

I miss her and log on to MSN sometimes just to check if she might be on. I've emailed her a few times; on her birthday, Christmas and New Years, but no reply. She may have found someone else, she might not be interested in me anymore, or her father may have died. It'd be nice if she did reply just to let me know what's happening, but I'm going to leave her be until then.

She crosses my mind a lot, a few times a week anyways.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭seenitall

I think you misunderstood my post. I'm a one-man woman too. I just don't believe that it has to be the case that an active profile (while seeing you) = sleeping with other women. I have a few profiles active, that doesn't mean I'm sleeping with guys. Very far from it, in fact! :D:(

I mean, even when someone deletes their profile, in those first weeks while you are getting to know them, you have no guarantees that he doesn't have other profiles open under different usernames on other sites or that he isn't shagging everything with a skirt on the nights that he isn't seeing you, all the while whispering sweet nothings in your ear. That could just as easily be the reality of getting to know a handsome stranger, as him being a completely honest bloke and a straight shooter.

So, seeing as there are no guarantees either way, I prefer to get to know someone's true nature on their own steam; if he wants to keep his profile active, that also leaves me the avenue to observe his behaviour on-line, doesn't it? If I started to talk about one women men and deleting profiles, he may just adjust his behaviour in order to please me, therefore possibly masking his true nature and our ultimate incompatibilty by driving it "underground", so to speak.

BUT if he is the right kind of guy for me, only cautious if things will or won't work out with me - well, I'm exactly the same so I can't complain about that. I will put trust in a guy that he's not sleeping with others just as a consequence of him having an active profile, and he will have to put the same trust in me. And we can then see how we go, slowly, no pressure.

• Advertisement

Can anyone else get me out of POF...Please

Maybe you will get more replies with a separate thread!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭TheNewMee

Just blank your profile and use a different mail for the new profile you want to create?

TheNewMee wrote: »
    Just blank your profile and use a different mail for the new profile you want to create?

I can't , see previous posts.
    Thank you for your thoughts.

I can't , see previous posts.
    Thank you for your thoughts.

Have you tried emailing them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 388 ✭✭johnboysligo

I miss her and log on to MSN sometimes just to check if she might be on. I've emailed her a few times; on her birthday, Christmas and New Years, but no reply. She may have found someone else, she might not be interested in me anymore, or her father may have died. It'd be nice if she did reply just to let me know what's happening, but I'm going to leave her be until then.

she will reply if she is the same person you started to fall for but dont forget serious illness and death of a loved one will put most peoples lives on hold for weeks and months sometimes years.
    Relax and keep yourself occupied don't try anything like a "final goodbye email" thats a nasty surprise for someone who could be grieving.
    just remember lifes little hiccups have a way of pushing everything aside, that includes relationships.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 987 ✭✭✭Birdsong

All I did when I wanted to finish on POF was take down my picture & black all the information. Even though it was linked to my email, I don't get any email notifications saying i have new messages, and as I am not on it the profile doesn't come into searches afaik. If I wanted to log on again,all I would have to do is put up a pic and re-enter all the information.

So i joined okc in Sept/Oct last year; this guy sends me a message, we mailed back and forth.
    After 4 weeks on the site, i deleted my account; before i deleted my account i sent him email address to add me on facebook - he did.
    He doesn't work in Dublin, comes home Fridays-Sundays; from September - Dec we chat on facebook and that's about it, he was home in December for a month or so and he finally asked me on a date (Just after the new year).

Thing is he's back working away Mon-Friday; where do i fit in?
    He's VERY bad at communicating and i don't know how to read him; he's been back every weekend and we've either gone to the cinema/watched a dvd at mine.
    He stayed over on Saturday night, we watched movies, drank wine e.t.c. He left on Sunday afternoon and i haven't heard from him since...

I'm a very emotional person and really like this guy; i've even bought him a personalised valentine card...

I've asked him if i was fwb and he said no; we don't always have sex when we meet but this whole communicating is killing me... If he likes me he'll contact me right?

We both have skype: he hasn't added me, it would be nice if he did

What do i do? I'm so close to writing a PFO email, sent him an email this morning saying; It's been a while, no communication, are you okay.

I've another email finishing things up with him, i like him, he's quiet and doesn't talk much while i'm a talker. I've brought up this communicating issue twice already and he's apologized, improved but it's back to square one.
    It's just a month but if he cannot communicate with me what's the point :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭AnnyHallsal

anom020210 wrote: »
    So i joined okc in Sept/Oct last year; this guy sends me a message, we mailed back and forth.
    After 4 weeks on the site, i deleted my account; before i deleted my account i sent him email address to add me on facebook - he did.
    He doesn't work in Dublin, comes home Fridays-Sundays; from September - Dec we chat on facebook and that's about it, he was home in December for a month or so and he finally asked me on a date (Just after the new year).

Thing is he's back working away Mon-Friday; where do i fit in?
    He's VERY bad at communicating and i don't know how to read him; he's been back every weekend and we've either gone to the cinema/watched a dvd at mine.
    He stayed over on Saturday night, we watched movies, drank wine e.t.c. He left on Sunday afternoon and i haven't heard from him since...

I'm a very emotional person and really like this guy; i've even bought him a personalised valentine card...

I've asked him if i was fwb and he said no; we don't always have sex when we meet but this whole communicating is killing me... If he likes me he'll contact me right?

We both have skype: he hasn't added me, it would be nice if he did

What do i do? I'm so close to writing a PFO email, sent him an email this morning saying; It's been a while, no communication, are you okay.

I've another email finishing things up with him, i like him, he's quiet and doesn't talk much while i'm a talker. I've brought up this communicating issue twice already and he's apologized, improved but it's back to square one.
    It's just a month but if he cannot communicate with me what's the point :(

Sorry anom, it's not looking good. If I was in your position I'd wait for him to get back to me and, unless the message was what I was hoping for, cool off the communication and/or say I was looking for something more. I think you'd continue to be frustrated if things remain as they are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭Sanjuro

Well, I hope everyone enjoyed using OKCupid for free. Because match.com has just bought the site. And to show where the company will be heading, the first thing they did was pull the 'Why you should never pay for a dating site' blog post.

Source.

Source 2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭liah

What the hell :confused:

Now what the feck am I going to use.. it was the only site I could tolerate at any level. Damnit!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Well, haven't seen any notification or e-mail about it switching to a pay site... so they are prob looking to use it for advertising revenue as a more steady income...

Well I wouldn't say it'd happen immediately. But over time, it looks like it's headed that way. Companies don't buy out other companies not looking to make money off them.

I wouldn't be so hasty in thinking it'll switch to a pay site.

OkCupid gets ad revenue, has lots of users and is highly regarded as one of the best dating sites out there.

It also has a very good matching algorithm.

There's not really all that much that indicates Match.com will necessarily make OkCupid a pay site.

Hi,

I'm currently a standard member on anotherfriend.ie (ie I'm not paying any subscription).
    I'm trying to decide if I'll join up as a full member or not.

I know when you're a standard member your messages are delayed (very annoying!) and you're not allowed to mail any contact details.

My question is this: If someone emails me with contact details or phone no or whatever in their message do I still receive the message with the offending bits missing.....or what's the story.

I've been emailing a few people.....and then silence!! So, I'm wondering are the messages kept aside.

And yes, I know the alternative - they might just have stopped emailing me......but a girl can hope!!

Cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,245 ✭✭✭psycho-hope

Hi,

I'm currently a standard member on anotherfriend.ie (ie I'm not paying any subscription).
    I'm trying to decide if I'll join up as a full member or not.

I know when you're a standard member your messages are delayed (very annoying!) and you're not allowed to mail any contact details.

My question is this: If someone emails me with contact details or phone no or whatever in their message do I still receive the message with the offending bits missing.....or what's the story.

I've been emailing a few people.....and then silence!! So, I'm wondering are the messages kept aside.

And yes, I know the alternative - they might just have stopped emailing me......but a girl can hope!!

Cheers

Hi i used to be on anotherfriend, dont know if things have changed but it used to be the message was stoped and the person sending it got a warning, 2 warnings and you were banned

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Hi i used to be on anotherfriend, dont know if things have changed but it used to be the message was stoped and the person sending it got a warning, 2 warnings and you were banned

So would putting your contact details on a little private web page and messaging a URL work?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,245 ✭✭✭psycho-hope

cdaly_ wrote: »
    So would putting your contact details on a little private web page and messaging a URL work?

nope that would be frowned at to, its just a money making racket really

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

What? They read your private messages? or do they have some sort of programme that senses phone numbers/email addys etc?

Could you not put your number in as 0 eight 7 1 two 3 four 5 six seven :pac:

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

I just stumbled upon a fellow TLL poster on OKC there right now. (or if not, some girl's got a message & she won't have a clue what it's about!)

OkCupid seems to be the dating site of choice for loungers..

• Advertisement

liah wrote: »
    OkCupid seems to be the dating site of choice for loungers..

I haven't seen any I don't think :(

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I saw you, when I still had a profile there.

I haven't seen any (though an AHer did stumble across my profile there :pac:) on the site but the amount of people talking about it on the thread leads me to the conclusion that they're just sneaky about it. :p

Faith wrote: »
    I saw you, when I still had a profile there.

Awh you should've said hi! Any else see me? I'm going to go search for tll'ers now

I wonder if I should use the picture of me giving the finger as my profile pic. Would this be a good or bad idea?

I wonder if I should use the picture of me giving the finger as my profile pic. Would this be a good or bad idea?

Do it. G'wan :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

I've seen yours (or was that on POF)...:confused:

Depends... ah sure give it a go!

I wouldn't. I saw a guys profile giving the fingers and I just thought he looked like a scum bag.

• Advertisement

Mine isn't scumbaggy, or at least I don't think so.. mostly it's just tongue-in-cheek.

Is it the same one as your current FB profile picture? If so, oh hell yeah!

Mine isn't scumbaggy, or at least I don't think so.. mostly it's just tongue-in-cheek.

It would put me off a guy. Why do you think it's a good idea?

mood wrote: »
    It would put me off a guy. Why do you think it's a good idea?

Because I would hope to attract a partner who doesn't take life too seriously, I suppose. Plus, despite the finger, I reckon it's an alright pic anyway.

EDIT: And yeah, it's the same one as my Facebook pic.

Because I would hope to attract a partner who doesn't take life too seriously, I suppose. Plus, despite the finger, I reckon it's an alright pic anyway.

I reckon you should, it's a really nice picture of you and you get away with it too.

Doesn't look scummy to me, go for it!

• Advertisement

Stumbled across another TLL'er... what the hell's going on? Is there anyone on that site NOT on boards?

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Feu

article about t'online dating in the irish times health supplement yesterday

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/health/2011/0208/1224289248792.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Red Alert wrote: »
    Stumbled across another TLL'er... what the hell's going on? Is there anyone on that site NOT on boards?

My friend is. She's not on boards. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

I've only stumbled across one, I must be searching the wrong way or something :pac:

It is kinda weird when that happens. Not in a bad way. Just in a sort of 'all right, didn't think I'd see you here' but without actually saying it. Or acknowledging it.

I possibly don't know how to explain the above in proper English.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement