Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Worried about my guitar

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,997 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

Nothing to be too worried about, it needs a setup. Have you put heavier strings on it then it started with? If so that is the problem, otherwise a spring may have come off the trem block. Either get it setup by a professional or learn to do it yourself. There are plenty of resources on the net telling you how to do it.

Basiclly the tension from the strings has pulled the tremolo forward and the tension on the springs is not enouigh to counter act it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

It looks like the tension on the strings has pulled the trem up from its normal position. How old is the guitar (trem springs)? It may be a case of:

1) Stretched trem springs (gradal process though)
    2) Springs have detached from their mounts inside the body cavity
    3) Spring(s) may have broken

Take off the cover on the back of the guitar & take a picture of the springs/mounts & post it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭LeifErikson

Thanks, lads. I normally keep the cover off the back, it's around 1.5 years old. http://img696.imageshack.us/img696/5973/photo0069j.jpg http://img710.imageshack.us/img710/9527/photo0070a.jpg I'm pretty sure the guitar came with .009s and that's what's in now, tho a diff brand. I've got some .008s here, when I tuned the strings down a good bit the bridge went back level with the body of the guitar

Thanks, lads. I normally keep the cover off the back, it's around 1.5 years old. http://img696.imageshack.us/img696/5973/photo0069j.jpg http://img710.imageshack.us/img710/9527/photo0070a.jpg I'm pretty sure the guitar came with .009s and that's what's in now, tho a diff brand. I've got some .008s here, when I tuned the strings down a good bit the bridge went back level with the body of the guitar

Everything looks as it should from the pic, but hard to tell by a pic if the springs are stretched/worn out.

The two screws that hold the spring mount to the body can be adjusted. If you tighten those screws gradually & evenly, it will increase the tension on the trem. Giving it enough tension will bring the trem back to where it should be.

Be aware, if your adjusting those springs to pull on the trem, the trem in turn will pull on the strings - so loosen the strings off a bit first. Then adjust the trem to where it should be, and finally re-tune the strings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭-=al=-

lol holy moly that looks funny, nothing a few simple tweaks can fix as mentioned above

• Advertisement

I'm pretty reluctant to do this myself, I think for my own peace of mind I'd like to get this looked at by a pro, can anyone recommend somewhere in Dublin that would take a look at this kind of thing?

I reckon if the bridge is doing that then neck may be a little bowed oo EDIT: as well as the springs needing adjustment /EDIT and the intonation might be a bit out of whack too. It might be worth dropping it in for a full setup to any of the place sin the resources sticky, Eugene at guitar workshop, Derreck Nelson, Kev in guitar fix or any guitar shop at all really. If you do want to do it yourself here is a good link that goes through the entire thing. Just make sure you use the right size allen keys. THere is relaly nothing on a strat that can't be undone, bar damaging the wood which can sometimes happen if you adjust the truss rod too much or damaging the actual key slots from using the wrong size allen key.

http://www.fender.com/support/stratocaster_setup_guide.php

I reckon if the bridge is doing that then neck may be a little bowed to and the intonation might be a bit out of whack too. It might be worth dropping it in for a full setup to any of the place sin the resources sticky, Eugene at guitar workshop, Derreck Nelson, Kev in guitar fix or any guitar shop at all really. If you do want to do it yourself here is a good link that goes through the entire thing. Just make sure you use the right size allen keys. THere is relaly nothing on a strat that can't be undone, bar damaging the wood which can sometimes happen if you adjust the truss rod too much or damaging the actual key slots from using the wrong size allen key.

http://www.fender.com/support/stratocaster_setup_guide.php

For the trem to look like that, the guitar must look like a bow & arrow if it's the neck man.

I wouldn't go near the neck at this point. Don't be afraid of adjusting the trem screws (thats what they're for at the end of the day), you wont break anything. Tighten the screws a few turns each, and you will see them pulling the trem back into place. Don't forget to loosen the strings a little first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭Quattroste

+1 from above. You beat me too it.

Those springs have no tension on them. The screws are way too far out. I'd say loosen the strings. Screw the 2 tensioning screws in about 5-6 mils and then retune. You won't do any damage.

If the bridge is still sitting up then repeat but only screw in a little bit at a time. If the bridge is flush to the body then don't loosen the strings but screw out the 2 screws a bit.

It's very straight forward. The worst that will happen is a string will break. You will not damage or warp the neck with .09's and if the neck has already warped it would have the opposite effect on the bridge.

I wasnt saying that the bridge was like that because of a warped neck or anything. Just saying that it could probably do with a setup as well as the springs being tentioned up. Im guessing that when the bridge is brought back flush it will probably need to be intonated properly and there is a chance there might be a bow in the neck as well. Not saying one is because of the other. Over time every guitar will bow, its natural. Not saying it is definately bowed just remarking that it may be the case.

To get the bridge back to normal certianly yes follow the advice on here and that will get it much nicer again but be aware that it may need some further work on the setup either by you or someone else if you do not trust yourself. Although it is something that is easily done and you can't go too far wrong.

• Advertisement

The screws seem really solid and in place, I dont know how they would have moved out, perhaps theyre slightly bent. The only things I would have done that may have caused this (afaik) is changing to different strings or putting the tremolo arm on too tight. Is there anyone in Dublin city centre I can take this to at the weekend?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

Putting in the trem arm "too tight" cannot effect tthe bridge.
    It may well be a good idea to take it for a set-up ...
    BUT if it was me I would follow the advise previously given and tighten up the 2 screws in the back by a few turns first (then re-tune). This will get you 90% of the way there. Who knows? It may well get you 100% of the way there. ;)
    You cannot break or damage anything by tightening those screws. If you want to (and you wont) you can always turn them back.

I put on some .008 gauge strings today, everything looks perfect now, the bridge is barely above the body and the action is lovely. I imagine I probably foolishly picked up some heavy strings that were just too much for it's current settings. In any case, I'm going to look into how to check if the neck is in proper order etc just for my own peace of mind. Thanks for all the replies lads, it was very reassuring.

The difference betweem 8's & 9's shouldnt casue that much of an effect though. I wonder if the springs have just lost their strenght - how old is the guitar?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I'd still just tighten the two screws at the back, you seriously can't possibly mess it up. You're tightening two springs

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭CrackisWhack

Is in it an american made strat?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

Is in it an american made strat?

What does that matter?

It just needs a setup and adjustment. No big deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭CrackisWhack

Dord wrote: »
    What does that matter?

It just needs a setup and adjustment. No big deal.

Just asking mate!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭Quattroste

Are you tuning to concert pitch? Do you use a tuner or just tune to ear?

It's 1.5 years old, Mexican I believe. The screws are really solid and look as though they've never moved.

I think it may have something to do with how I tuned it, I use an electric tuner, I wonder if I somehow knocked the tuner into some different setting that led me to tune the guitar way too high. In any case it seems perfect now. Would my neck be at risk having been left in that condition for ~8 weeks? Any quick way of checking it?

• Advertisement

It shouldnt have done too much to it as the springs were what were being effected. If you look down the length of the neck you will see the bow. I like to have a very slight bow on it, very slight. Here is an image of the different types.

076-062-01d.jpg

The other way is to lay a long straight edge ruler or similar on top of the frets and look for the gap.

Here are some videos.

and here

http://www.ehow.com/video_2375074_checking-guitar-neck-straightness.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

EnterNow wrote: »
    The difference betweem 8's & 9's shouldnt casue that much of an effect though.

Changing string guage will definitely cause the trem to float in a different place.

Changing string guage will definitely cause the trem to float in a different place.

Thats a given, but did you look at the picture of it? The trem looked almost maxed out.

Advertisement