Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electrical Cable Size?

Options
  • 08-07-2010 9:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭

How do you calculate electrical cable size?

Can somebody provide me with an example. Mathematical formulaes are a big bonas.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,594 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

How do you calculate electrical cable size?
    Cable size depends on many factors. The main ones are:
    • Size of load (from this work out the current drawn)
    • Length of run (ensure that volt drop is not excessive)
    • Conductor material (normally copper, but sometime aluminium)
    • Ambient temperature
    • Insulation material
    • Method of installation
    • Grouping factor
    Can somebody provide me with an example. Mathematical formulaes are a big bonas.

The ETCI reulations (ET 101:2008) have everything that you need.

I have all of this done out in a project I did from my college days. If you PM me an email address I can email it to you. All of the calculations are done for cable sizing for main distribution boards, sub distribution boards, and final sub circuits. Protective devices have been selected and there is a section on lighting calculations and emergency lighting.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭NoseyMike2010

Cheers 2011,

Examples like that should help me. If I have more questions I am sure I'll be back to ask!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,594 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Keep asking. I will try to answer.

NoseyMike2010,

Email sent! Let me know how you get on

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

I can't find that thread where people posted websites that carried out the cable sizing.

Does anyone know the sites? I might add it to a resource sticky

• Advertisement

I just did , it was rubbish lol.

only joking, thank you

To be honest I think it oversized the cables!

What is 2 Core, 3 Core, Multi Core cable? When is it used? And how is it different to stranded copper cable???

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭firemansam1

What is 2 Core, 3 Core, Multi Core cable? When is it used? And how is it different to stranded copper cable???

2 core has 2 cores contained in the cable
    3 core has 3 cores cointained in the cable
    Multicore has multiple cores contained in the cable

They can be stranded or solid cores.

They are used everyday all over the world in electrical installations from the smallest to the largest.

• Advertisement

solid core cables have less surface area compared to stranded cable, stranded and flex cables can carry more current than their overall CSA matched solid cable.

Having said all that NoseyMike2010 are you really just Nosey ?

Wouldn't say Nosey ... just interested!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Moezlak

Could u send me some details on how to size cables please,moezlak

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Moezlak

2011 wrote: »
    NoseyMike2010,

Email sent! Let me know how you get on

Sent it on to me please

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Stoner wrote: »
    solid core cables have less surface area compared to stranded cable, stranded and flex cables can carry more current than their overall CSA matched solid cable.

Yes another way of explaining it is a solid round conductor has most of its current flow on the outer part of the conductor, near or at its surface, so if you get the same size conductor in stranded form, each strand is now one of many in parallel, each like a circurlar conductor with its own individual surface for the current to flow along. So a stranded cable has a better capacity than a solid one. They also get a better connection as well at terminations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭jocotty

2011 wrote: »
    Cable size depends on many factors. The main ones are:
    • Size of load (from this work out the current drawn)
    • Length of run (ensure that volt drop is not excessive)
    • Conductor material (normally copper, but sometime aluminium)
    • Ambient temperature
    • Insulation material
    • Method of installation
    • Grouping factor

The ETCI reulations (ET 101:2008) have everything that you need.

I have all of this done out in a project I did from my college days. If you PM me an email address I can email it to you. All of the calculations are done for cable sizing for main distribution boards, sub distribution boards, and final sub circuits. Protective devices have been selected and there is a section on lighting calculations and emergency lighting.

Hi 2011

I hope you are well.

would it be possible for you to send me a copy of this project.

It would be a great help to me at the moment.

Please PM me , and I will give you my email address, and tell you why I need them.

thanks,
    Jo

yes 2011, I'd love that too :)

Done

Advertisement