Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Camping around Lough Corrib

Options
  • 08-07-2010 7:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭

Heading to Loch Corrib..probably going to be next week cause of the weather..probably going to take a camper van, do a bit of fishing and that...So just wondering where's a good place to go? All google is giving me is Cong, but I'd like somewhere a bit closer to home(Ennis), so i was think the Oughterard area, or anywhere on that side of the lake. But again, all google was giving is B&B's really, no camping sites.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

Its nice at Menlo Castle.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Closest to Ennis is Fanore but around Galway city there is the camping in Salthill.
    In a camper van you can just park anywhere overnight.

There is a place here but ask the locals first.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

On the eastern side of the lake, Annaghdown (as Biko mentioned), Kilbeg, Greenfields are all nice places, Kilbeg and Greenfields have pubs right there too, the one in Greenfields does nice food I believe.
    On the western side, Knockferry (just across from Kilbeg) is a nice spot, there's a pub very close by too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭jkforde

you might try the minor lakeside road north of Oughterard up towards Curraunmore, there are a couple of lay-bys where you might be able to park up for a day or two but there no camping sites afaik

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭el dude

Thanks for the suggestions. Would there be boths for hire(just for a few hours) near any of these places would any of ye know?

Thanks again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭jkforde

Oughterard is known to cater for tourist fishing so ask in the shops there, they'll point you right I'd say. I've seen some boats on the shore on that road I mentioned but not sure about local rents.

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

el dude wrote: »
    Thanks for the suggestions. Would there be boths for hire(just for a few hours) near any of these places would any of ye know?

Thanks again.

http://fishinginireland.info/boathire/corrib.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

biko wrote: »
    Closest to Ennis is Fanore but around Galway city there is the camping in Salthill.
    In a camper van you can just park anywhere overnight.

There is a place here but ask the locals first.

Wouldn't recommend it for an over-nighter, prone to night-time drinking/muppets in cars

Advertisement