Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

House Flooded - Advice needed

• 08-07-2010 9:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10

Hi All, looking for some advice from some people in the know, as I am a bit lost cause when it comes to DIY,

I had a burst water pipe at home which flooded the house - I rang the insurance company and they said to go and get a quote for the damage and get back to them.

What I want to know is who to go to, to get a quote- its mostly the wooden floors and skirting that are ruined - so I could just get a carpenter out, but I am afraid that there might be more damage underneath or to the walls that I cannot see.

Should I be trying to get a proper builder or surveyor out - and if a builder, how do you know the good ones from the cowboys??

If anyone can help me with this or has any other advice they think I should be mindful of, please let me know.

Thanks in advance,
    D.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 496 ✭✭bette

Hi All, looking for some advice from some people in the know, as I am a bit lost cause when it comes to DIY,

I had a burst water pipe at home which flooded the house - I rang the insurance company and they said to go and get a quote for the damage and get back to them.

What I want to know is who to go to, to get a quote- its mostly the wooden floors and skirting that are ruined - so I could just get a carpenter out, but I am afraid that there might be more damage underneath or to the walls that I cannot see.

Should I be trying to get a proper builder or surveyor out - and if a builder, how do you know the good ones from the cowboys??

If anyone can help me with this or has anything other advice they think I should be mindful of, please let me know.

Thanks in advance,
    D.

Wait for a week or two to let the mess dry out. Then you can appraise the damage much better. Stuff will warp or swell. Contact a floor layer ans plasterer for starters. Perhaps a small builder has a better yiew on this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 disfordanger

bette wrote: »
    Wait for a week or two to let the mess dry out. Then you can appraise the damage much better. Stuff will warp or swell. Contact a floor layer ans plasterer for starters. Perhaps a small builder has a better yiew on this.

Thanks for the reply bette.

I am worried that I should be acting upon this quickly, as I thought that there is possibly water still left under the floors and that it might be be doing more damage and /or might start to smell. If you or anyone else can confirm that its ok to leave for two weeks that would ease my nerves greatly, thanks, D.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 648 ✭✭✭PeteHeat

Hi,

There are fine lines that you do not cross with insurance claims.

Do not wait around because if the damage could be limited by fast action your insurer can claim you contributed the extra costs by delaying getting a professional to asses the damage.

Do not allow anyone to start work without getting the OK from the insurance companies loss adjusters.

An experienced builder can do a quick assesment of the damage and if needed (with your permission) work with the loss adjuster to ensure the work is carried out to everyones satisfaction.

There are times when it may be necessary to employ your own loss adjuster that may also be part of the builders advice.

Take care with some of the self proclaimed experts who claim to look after everything and are "approved" by the insurance companies, many are not all they claim to be in fact insurance companies can get very defensive when certain names appear to be managing the claim.

Insurance companies are not monsters but they are not fools either, if they see the client and his builder are working with them and not inflating claims they are usually very fair to deal with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

Hi

I've a similar problem to you, burst undergound pipe that ruined my wooden floor. And I completely agree with Pete re. these so called insurance repairs "experts".

I engaged one of these "experts" at Easter, i.e. first week of April this year who would "assess the damage, deal with the insurance company's assessor, settle the claim, fix the leak, reinstate the floor and redo the paintwork" so everything would be good as new and all I had to do was sign the claim form. OR SO THEIR WEBSITE SAYS :mad:

The reality is they sent out one plumber at the end of April who dug in the wrong place, left an eight foot long trench open with pipes exposed, couldn't find the leak and fecked off leaving us to clean up the mess. Five weeks later this company sent out another plumber who dug more holes, couldn't find a leak, blamed it on the shower in the bathroom and left. Again he didn't fill in the holes or clean up his mess.

Now this week I get a call from these "experts" who want €600 for work to date, and, get this, €2,200 for relaying the wooden floors (I'm supplying the flooring out of my own pocket!!!!) and painting the hallway. AND the insurance company has agreed to this :confused:. Its no wonder insurance costs are so high.

I had another bloke out last night (no connection with the other crowd) and after using an acoustic listening device, he is adamant that we do have a leak in the central heating pipes.

So I'm in the position where my insurance company has agreed to pay the first shower of chancers for a job thats not fixed, this crowd are demanding I follow through with the claim, i.e. they haven't fixed the leak, they get an exhorbitant amount of money for redecoration and the problem reoccurs a few months down the line when the insurance company will refuse to pay out again for the same damage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

We got a loss adjuster to deal with the insurance company, and they gave us the cheque and we sourced our own tradesmen to do the repairs. Worked out well for us

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

We got a loss adjuster to deal with the insurance company, and they gave us the cheque and we sourced our own tradesmen to do the repairs. Worked out well for us

agree. Get an insurence asser. They are far more capable and able to deal with insurence companies. Always remember an insurence company hires a claims prevention officer/claims adjuster/loss adjuster. What do you think is there job....Its in the title. To prevent claims. They will do there best not to pay out.

Get yourself an insurence asser. Not to sure what they charge but its worth every penny.

My uncle got one. He lives in dublin. If you want his number I will get it. PM me and let me know. My uncle is fussy and he was impressed so this says a lot.

Oh. and sorry. it is a pain dont let it all get to you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

Joey

Sent you a pm seeking the number of that loss adjuster.

Thanks

David

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 disfordanger

Hi Guys,

thanks for all the advice, it is a great help.

PS Joey it would be great if you could PM me with the number of the loss adjuster your uncle used - I have sent you a PM requesting same.

Advertisement