Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Breaking lease within 3 days

Options
  • 08-07-2010 9:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Hi Everyone, I'm looking for some advice. My partner and I just moved into a new apartment two days ago and are not happy at all. Firstly we had no hot water. This was supposed to be fixed but the pressure is still dropping. My girlfriend attempted to have a shower last night and the water wouldn't go down the drain. I thought it might just have been hair or something blocking it. I used a plunger to unblock it and what happened was disgusting. Human excrement started coming up from the drain of the shower. We would really like to move out but have paid a deposit and the first months rent upfront and signed a one year contract. Would we be entitled to get our money back if we moved out tomorrow morning? I appricate your advice. Thanks.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭Blizzard

Have you contacted your landlord? As a new tenant I would think he/she should respond asap. I think you should check the PRTB site for your rights.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

you signed a lease there is no back out period.

Re the drain hardly the landlords fault but easily fixed. As for the water again should be easily fixed.

You cant just decide you want to move out. How about talking to your landlord and giving him a chance to fix the issue rather than throwing your toys out of the pram ?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

I'd contact the landlord ASAP with a list of things that are broken/not working and ask them to fix them. Would adequate water pressure and hot water fall be a necessity for an apartment/house to be inhabitable? However, I think you'd need to give the landlord a justifiable period of time to rectify the water problems before you even considered giving notice that you would be moving out.

As mentioned above, it's probably a good idea to contact the PRTB or Threshold and seek their advice before approaching the landlord as they'll be able to tell you exactly what your rights are and how to go about asking the landlord to repair the water issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

I'd wager these things are considered a necessity for a habitable apartment - but you must inform your landlord and give him a reasonable period of time to sort this out.

Contact Threshold for advice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭edellc

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

edellc wrote: »

I would just like to warn you that the information on this website is out of date and does not reflect changes to tenancy law since the 2004 act.

S.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,638 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

All waste lines are connected, depending on where it is blocked, you could be drawing back waste from the toilet when plunging.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Suggest you ring your landlord and inform you need him/her to obtain services of Plumber to fix the drain in your apartment.

Advertisement