Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Kilkenny Website

Options
  • 08-07-2010 9:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭

Anyone checked out the new Kilkenny website? It's called 32.ie and it's really good! I have family living down there and they told me to have a browse so I checked it out. Think its only there a week or so but look promising. Make a change from buying the paper at least:D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭Dr.Sanchez

Looks decent enough, could'a gave it a better name though!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Shazanne

00Blaine00 wrote: »
    Looks decent enough, could'a gave it a better name though!

Ya - I thought that too. Wonder what they mean by 32.ie - hardly intend to spread it to the entire country! I thought maybe it had something to do with Kilkenny - like did ye win 32 All-Ireland's!!! (I'm from Tipp originally!):D

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Threadhead

Yeah, I just noticed it there now. It needs a lot of work but it seems to be off to a good start.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭SweetEmpathy

It looks fairly messy at the moment, but a positive thing for Kilkenny.

Weird name though?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Website doesn't look great tbh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭Deliverance XXV

The website is based on Joomla technology so all you see really is a theme. It can be (and should be) changed.
    The content looks good although there is some dodgy elements like the chatroom/catchat.

With the address being kilkenny.32.ie does it mean that someone else owns 32.ie and plans to open a subdomain for every county as in Carlow.32.ie (which subsequently has a holding page)?
    Whois report says the owner is not one of the reporters but a sole trader so perhaps there is a bigger picture?

It has promise though, particularly with its categorisation of county news and its classified section.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Just had a look at it there, seems like it has loads of potential, particularly with the videos and that.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭fabbydabby

Videos are of quite low rez though for some reason. Almost unwatchable.. Like they were shot on a camera phone from back in the day.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

Cabaal wrote: »
    Website doesn't look great tbh

I think it looks good, and is refreshing for a local media publication/website.

Good luck to em'.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭SweetEmpathy

It is fairly messy at the moment, could use a clean up with a new theme.

• Advertisement

Think its only new - bit soon for a spruce up yet! Videos are a bit raw - but I suppose they have to start somewhere. They sure turn out a lot of stuff tho - always seems to be something new on it!
    Actually, on reflection, how professional do the videos need to be really? It's refreshing to be able to "see" the news story as well as to read it. If you think of YouTube with its millions of hits and the quality on there is not that great.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 countrymary

It's not bad really. At least they seem to update it every day. It could be a good community thing and for people who are away.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Its just Joomla - change the skin because that layout is very cluttered and messy for a front page.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭nhg

What's the story with the site, its inactive since last monday?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭Doyler92

In my opinion it looks to much like a blog type website.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭fabbydabby

According to this what happened is:
    ...the boss did a runner on that website. Left the three workers in the lurch with no pay and no P45s. Pity, cos it was doing okay up to last week when it got a bit slower with the news. i bet the papers are releived (sic).

If any of those disenfranchised employees have ftp access to the site I would urge them to change the home page to some foul scatalogical imagery and then change the access codes.

At least that's what I would do.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

From the Sports drop-down menu - it has : Golf - Soccer - Greyhound Racing !

HELLO ..........this is a Kilkenny website ?

Give them a break! They were only starting out - the site had great potential and the staff were hardworking and ambitious. But when the boss takes off after just two months and the staff are left unpaid it's a bit harsh for us to criticise them!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

From the Sports drop-down menu - it has : Golf - Soccer - Greyhound Racing !

HELLO ..........this is a Kilkenny website ?

Discraceful, I mean, how could they forget to put cycling there? :rolleyes:

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 daniel1384

Perhaps a reference to the 32 counties of Ireland...

Daniel

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭nhg

I just see that its been updated again... is it back in action

• Registered Users Posts: 26 countrymary

nhg wrote: »
    I just see that its been updated again... is it back in action

If you could call adding some mart reports "updating". No, it's a goner. I believe the people working there were gutted and yer man turned up after five days at his home place in Limerick.

Advertisement