Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Switching to UPC from Eircom

• 08-07-2010 10:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭

I currently have a 3Mb connection with Eircom. I am thinking about switching to the 15 or 30 Mb UPC connection. I have about 4 laptops in the house and a PS3 and an Xbox. Usualy there is at least one laptop on and the PS3.

However I want to know what are the differences in the packages besides the speed. Are UPC reliable for console gaming and downloading etc.?

Thanks,
    Osu

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

UPC is far superior to Eircom. Pings rarely if ever go above 30ms for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

UPC is far superior to Eircom. Pings rarely if ever go above 30ms for me.

Great, any trouble with the router or anything. Also how do I know if I can get 15Mb broadband on my line?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Osu wrote: »
    Great, any trouble with the router or anything. Also how do I know if I can get 15Mb broadband on my line?
    Never really any problems with the router. Sometimes mine needs to be reset during large downloads, only happens occasionally and a reset always sorts it.

You can check what you can get on their website by entering your address, it doesn't go through your landline, Eircom's network is completely bypassed.

I'm on the 15mb pack.

873470689.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 604 ✭✭✭DemoniK

I've heard mixed things with UPC.
    I'm on their 30/3 package and all is good for my PS3.

Pings are low, and since I've now bypassed their hunk-a-junk router and back using my Dlinks - all is wonderful for everything else :)

However, I do know others (particularly in the Dublin area) who have had issues. I just moved, so have been running UPC and my old DSL in parallel just in case UPC was ****e. Been hammering on it for the last week and no issues, so have just request the DSL to be disconnected.

You have 14days of a cooling period legally - so suggest you use this and push it hard to make sure it does what you want. If your not happy with the service or them just cancel it.

Advertisement