Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wireless Bridge with Vodafone (Hauwei) HG556a

Options
  • 08-07-2010 10:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭

Is it possible to config the HG556a to be a wireless bridge?

The scenario is we have broadband supplied by upc coming into a netgear router, i want to create a wireless bridge to the vodafone router to use the network storage functions and connect an xbox that is located in another room.

The WAN link on the vodafone router is ADSL so I cant use that as the primary router.

I could settle for a wired bridge and just use it for the storage/printer etc..

I have the vodafone admin login for the router so I can access all the advanced features.

Has anyone been able to do this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Ronarooney

Hi,

looking to do the same myself and came across the manual if that's any good to you:

http://bandaancha.eu/store/devices/huawei/hg556a/huawei-hg556a-manual-servicio-en.pdf

regards

Ronarooney

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭velocirafter

thanks, was never actually able to get it working wirelessly, had to settle for a wired bridge but it works pretty well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Crocoduck Rex

I'm interested in doing the same thing - in this case to connect a TV to the net. The Sony USB wireless dongle costs something like €80 and I have a few old routers (including a Vodafone HG556a) lying around.

I thought it might be possible to run an Ethernet cable from the TV (it has a port) to the old router, and configure that as a wireless bridge to the UPC router that's connected to the cable system. (It's a UPC Thomson router)

In the HG556 manual it seems I have to configure stuff like VCI etc for PPPoA, which (to this tech Babe-in-the-Woods!) is all gobbledegook. AFAIK that Assuming I get that sorted, the Thompson router has a config page that allows me to enter the MAC address of bridges on the network, which seems straightforward.

Any brave techies here who can suggest how I might do this?

Thanks.

C-R

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Crocoduck Rex

Just to say that I have established that the HG556 can't be configured to bridge in this way, and it isn't compatible with DD-WRT. Oh well...

The solution is a cheap (€12) network bridge on Ebay.

Advertisement