Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Video - Israeli soldiers appear to mock call to prayer

• 08-07-2010 10:36pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭mrboswell

Latest two fingers to Palestine by the IDF....

IDF patrol set up a dance routine during a muslim call to prayer in Hebron and record it.

And they wonder why Palestinians don't like them.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭TheInquisitor

They look fair gay holding hands and skipping. That is all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

mrboswell wrote: »
    Latest two fingers to Palestine by the IDF....

I imagine they stopped wondering after the first few terrorist rocket attacks.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

*This concludes part 4 of Israeli Martial Arts 101*..

..*Please turn to Chapter 5; '16 Ways to Kick a Palestinian Woman in the Back'*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭Sand

It hurts me as a human being that someone exerted the effort to post this nonsense when children are dying for lack of medical aid.

Wont somebody think of the children?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭dan719

Insert criticism of Israel without any proof that the video has not been altered.:rolleyes:

Why would the IDF give a damn about the feelings of people who are trying to kill them?

I'd dance five times a day if I were them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

And yet another (poor) attempt to promote anti Israeli feeling surfaces.

While Ireland sinks deeper into the morass of economic difficulties and while thousands of our work force are without work,a coterie of people here continue to use the forum as a vehicle to broadcast their bile and viturpitude against Israel, as if that state was central to all that happens in this country and our people, and it's behaviour politically, is of vital importance to our day to day interests.

I'm downright baffled, so I am.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭mrboswell

Nijmegen wrote: »

Didn't look at them all but they don't seem to be during a call to prayer.

Israel stole this land based on a religion and it soldiers mock another religion. Thats just moronic hypocrisy. I don't know why I should expect any better of a country that breeds hatred into its people.

And yet another (poor) attempt to promote anti Israeli feeling surfaces.

While Ireland sinks deeper into the morass of economic difficulties and while thousands of our work force are without work,a coterie of people here continue to use the forum as a vehicle to broadcast their bile and viturpitude against Israel, as if that state was central to all that happens in this country and our people, and it's behaviour politically, is of vital importance to our day to day interests.

I'm downright baffled, so I am.

I don't need or want to promote other persons anti Israeli feeling - Israel is well capable of doing that all by itself. The conspiracy theory section is elsewhere.

I can see you are baffled by your post - nothing new there. Just because you use lots of big words doesn't mean you are saying anything sensible.
    The fact is so that long as there is a conflict people will take sides - please don't surface with rubbish when someone doesn't join "your side".

If you like, I choose my side due to state directed violations of human rights against an occupied population.
    Although the video really has nothing to do with my stance, I just wanted to point out to boards members such as yourself that its not a case of "Israel bashing" for the sake of it. Most of the anti Israeli feeling that you seem to go on about is self inflicted.

If I saw a similar video of Palestinians I would post it also, however a video camera probably wouldn't have made it over the border, since it might be used against the IDF to make them look bad.

dan719 wrote: »
    Insert criticism of Israel without any proof that the video has not been altered.:rolleyes:

Why would the IDF give a damn about the feelings of people who are trying to kill them?

I'd dance five times a day if I were them.

That will just go around in circles while you get tired dancing, badly probably.
    Fact is it just throwing fuel on fire.

Please consider that not all Palestinians should be persecuted for the beliefs and actions of a few.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

Didn't look at them all but they don't seem to be during a call to prayer.

Maybe you don't realise it but there are 5 calls to prayer every day. Its a coincidence that the soldiers did their routine during a call to prayer.

This really is the thinnest excuse to post an anti-israeli thread yet, its just a bunch of soldiers having a laugh and releasing tension. end of.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Presumably they're not muslim and there were no muslims standing in front of them at the time, so who cares what they do during the call to prayer?

I sometimes laugh at the images shown on the Angelus on RTE, if I don't turn it off first.

Why should they do anything other than whatever the hell they like just because a different religion is enacting one of its rituals?

Maybe you don't realise it but there are 5 calls to prayer every day. Its a coincidence that the soldiers did their routine during a call to prayer.

This really is the thinnest excuse to post an anti-israeli thread yet, its just a bunch of soldiers having a laugh and releasing tension. end of.

I doubt that - if it wasn't during a call to prayer they may not have made it back to upload the video.

Anyway this thing works both ways - its amazing how anyone who makes a comment that is not "pro israeli" is accused of being "anti israeli", and vice versa.

If you read my previous posts you would realise that this in not an anti Israeli post - I'm pointing out that the lack of sensitivity in a highly sensitive situation helps no one and just adds fuel to the fire. If the shoe was on the other foot I'd do the same.

If anything its highly insensitive, whether coincidence or not, and bound to provoke a reaction. Probably not a good one.
    I like to think that they'd know better but I'm not convinced. Recording it is one thing, posting it to the internet only serves to give the 2 fingers.

@ Seamus - as I said its only throwing fuel on the fire, its just not helping - but you are right - they do tend to do what the hell they like, regardless of what anyone thinks. That is unfortunate for ALL concerned in the situation, on both sides.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

seamus wrote: »
    Presumably they're not muslim and there were no muslims standing in front of them at the time, so who cares what they do during the call to prayer?

I sometimes laugh at the images shown on the Angelus on RTE, if I don't turn it off first.

Why should they do anything other than whatever the hell they like just because a different religion is enacting one of its rituals?

Well, maybe because there in someone elses country, protecting a group of there own insane Religous nutters. Personally, the IDF can dance there hearts out back in Israel, but they have no business in Hebron at all.

Also, if they were deliberately mocking the call to prayer in Hebron, which is a powder keg, then that is to put it simply, a very foolish thing to do. No need to enflame a situation that could kick off at any time.

wes wrote: »
    Well, maybe because there in someone elses country, protecting a group of there own insane Religous nutters. Personally, the IDF can dance there hearts out back in Israel, but they have no business in Hebron at all.

Also, if they were deliberately mocking the call to prayer in Hebron, which is a powder keg, then that is to put it simply, a very foolish thing to do. No need to enflame a situation that could kick off at any time.

Maybe there is no fun in your angsty world but these were a few soldiers relieving a bit of tension. The vast majority of IDF soldiers are from a secular backround and would probably prefer to be in Israel so you can forgive them for having a bit of a laugh.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,735 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Funniest thing I've seen in the Politics forum for a long while.

Maybe there is no fun in your angsty world but these were a few soldiers relieving a bit of tension. The vast majority of IDF soldiers are from a secular backround and would probably prefer to be in Israel so you can forgive them for having a bit of a laugh.

Would you forgive Hamas for having a laugh at dead IDF soldiers they killed in Hebron? I doubt it.

If a neighbor of mine offended me I would tell them I was offended and ask them not to do it again.
    In a highly strung place such as Hebron it could have been a case of Hamas using general Israei policy to shoot first and say "apologise for what later". Dead IDF soldiers wouldn't help anyone in the long run. Would you say it was their own fault for having a laugh or Hamas' fault for being offended and taking action against an occupying force that they perceived to be mocking them?

Cop on goes a long way...

Would you forgive Hamas for having a laugh at dead IDF soldiers they killed in Hebron? I doubt it.

If a neighbor of mine offended me I would tell them I was offended and ask them not to do it again.
    In a highly strung place such as Hebron it could have been a case of Hamas using general Israei policy to shoot first and say "apologise for what later". Dead IDF soldiers wouldn't help anyone in the long run. Would you say it was their own fault for having a laugh or Hamas' fault for being offended and taking action against an occupying force that they perceived to be mocking them?

Cop on goes a long way...

Where are you getting dead israeli soldiers from?

Seems like the IDF soldiers are able to deal with tension a lot easier than you are, you need to chill out. You're making a way WAY bigger deal out of this than it deserves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

If they want to feel stress free, maybe they should stay on their own side of the border.

Where are you getting dead israeli soldiers from?

Seems like the IDF soldiers are able to deal with tension a lot easier than you are, you need to chill out. You're making a way WAY bigger deal out of this than it deserves.

Sorry if I didn't make it clear.

If the soldiers had have been attacked and killed would it have been so funny??? Would it have been deserved? No but it certainly is foolish of them to do such a thing.

I'm an atheist but I can see how certain people would be highly offended.

In a high strung situation its a time bomb which could easily turn into a way bigger deal. The IDF could easily have shown more respect and cop on that they did. More respect and cop on was deserved.

Thanks for the advice though Dr, but I think I'll decide what I make a big deal out of - just like you do ;)

Nodin wrote: »
    If they want to feel stress free, maybe they should stay on their own side of the border.

They are conscript soldiers, they have to follow orders, they can't pick and choose where they are stationed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

Israel stole this land based on a religion and it soldiers mock another religion. Thats just moronic hypocrisy. .

I'd say they are being honest. They think it's funny, and I remember in Ireland when the mid-day Angelus caused traffic to stop and most people drop to their knees and take out Rosary Beads.

I though that was just too funny for words, and I only 5 then.

gbee wrote: »
    I'd say they are being honest. They think it's funny, and I remember in Ireland when the mid-day Angelus caused traffic to stop and most people drop to their knees and take out Rosary Beads.

I though that was just too funny for words, and I only 5 then.

Look I hear ya - but with everything going on over there - and something like this comes up - you wonder will it ever end? Do the parties involved really want it to?

I may well have have been just a insensitive joke to them but like it or not it has bigger implications (or at least has to potential to)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

Soldiers deal with stress in non-politically correct fashions. So what?

There are 5 calls to prayer per day for one. Secondly, I don't go nuts if people don't stop and respectfully nod their heads at 6pm every day.

Bleh, making a load of shi'ite out of nothing here.

Yeah, which doesn't change the fact, that they are in Hebron, and are protecting there own Religous nut jobs, as per orders from there supposedly democratically elected government. Hebron is a powder key, and anything could kick things off, so what would be harmless elsewhere, suddendly become insanely stupid and dangerous in Hebron. It isn't the dancing that is the issue, but where there doing it.

Sand wrote: »
    It hurts me as a human being that someone exerted the effort to post this nonsense when children are dying for lack of medical aid.

Wont somebody think of the children?

Consistent, if nothing else.
    They are conscript soldiers, they have to follow orders, they can't pick and choose where they are stationed.

Yes and no.
    http://electronicintifada.net/v2/article5901.shtml

Yeah, which doesn't change the fact, that they are in Hebron, and are protecting there own Religous nut jobs, as per orders from there supposedly democratically elected government. Hebron is a powder key, and anything could kick things off, so what would be harmless elsewhere, suddendly become insanely stupid and dangerous in Hebron. It isn't the dancing that is the issue, but where there doing it.
    Irish army sat in the Leb for thirty years. God, the un-PC things we got up to makes me thank YouTube is a recent invention.

Soliders have been, always will be, the least PC bunch of people in the world. The PC brigade will have about as much luck stamping that out as the other oldest profession.

There are 5 calls to prayer per day for one. Secondly, I don't go nuts if people don't stop and respectfully nod their heads at 6pm every day.

Bleh, making a load of shi'ite out of nothing here.

Your forgetting the entire fact that IDF soldiers are protecting there own fundametalist nutters, who have made a huge chunk of Hebron off limits to the indigneous populace, and what would be fairly harmless dancing in any other place, can kick things off in Hebron.

Your forgetting the entire fact that IDF soldiers are protecting there own fundametalist nutters, who have made a huge chunk of Hebron off limits to the indigneous populace, and what would be fairly harmless dancing in any other place, can kick things off in Hebron.
    If soldiers were bunged up for every comment, action, face pulled or similar in the wrong place at the wrong time, there'd be very few outside of lockup.

Irish army sat in the Leb for thirty years. God, the un-PC things we got up to makes me thank YouTube is a recent invention.

They weren't occupation soldiers.
    Soliders have been, always will be, the least PC bunch of people in the world. The PC brigade will have about as much luck stamping that out as the other oldest profession.

The IDF can be un-pc all the like in Israel, but in a tense situation like Hebron, you need to show a bit of cop on. There protecting nutjobs, who have made huge chunks of the city off limits for Palestinians living there. People there already have every reason in the world to hate the IDF, and Israeli Religous nutters, so something stupid like this could easily spark violence in a tense situation. To put it simply, what they did was stupid, and I could care less about peoples obsession with political correctness, as it has feck all to do with my arguement, and shows that people would rather ignore the simple fact that Hebron is a powder keg, and instead go on about a non-existent pc brigade, and other such nonsense.

• Advertisement

If soldiers were bunged up for every comment, action, face pulled or similar in the wrong place at the wrong time, there'd be very few outside of lockup.

Who said anything about locking anyone up? Also, soldiers aren't exempt from common sense btw, and I would think the IDF would have more sense than to do stupid crap in Hebron. If they want to blow off steam, they should go back to Israel.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Japer

Assuming it was a genuine video, and not actors impersonating soldiers...
    +1.

If the clip is genuine, its great to see in a way that soldiers can have a bit of a sense of humour and do a dance routine. Less offensive than paying to see Westlife I would say. Have people nothing better to do than try to post anti-israeli video clips ? If so, if that is the worst they can find....

Japer wrote: »
    Assuming it was a genuine video, and not actors impersonating soldiers...

You may want to take that to the conspiracy theory forum.
    +1.

If the clip is genuine, its great to see in a way that soldiers can have a bit of a sense of humour and do a dance routine. Less offensive than paying to see Westlife I would say. Have people nothing better to do than try to post anti-israeli video clips ? If so, if that is the worst they can find....

Pointing out stupidity of the people protecting Israeli Religous nutters, is not Anti-Israeli, just anti-stupidity. Of course, as per usual the context of Hebron is ignored, as its just inconvient for some on here. As I said earlier, Israeli Religous nut jobs are being protecting by the IDF, and have closed of a huge chunk of the city to Palestinians, and they regularly attack Palestinians, all the while being protecting by the IDF. Now, what would be innocent in almost any other situation, becomes something that could spark of a lot of violence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭testicle

This video is not taken from the street in Hebron, it is from an IDF barracks. The person with the camera has control over the music. It's not a real call to prayer.

One might also add that it didn't spark off violence, which is commendable, considering that a cartoon is enough to get the Muslim world out burning flags and chasing artists with axes. Or a book...

One might also add that it didn't spark off violence, which is commendable, considering that a cartoon is enough to get the Muslim world out burning flags and chasing artists with axes. Or a book...

There is violence going on in Hebron, just by the Israeli Religous nutters, attacking Palestinians for having the temerity for not being Jewish, and all the while the nutters are being protecting by the IDF.

• Advertisement

There is violence going on in Hebron, just by the Israeli Religous nutters, attacking Palestinians for having the temerity for not being Jewish, and all the while the nutters are being protecting by the IDF.
    Ok. Well, anyways, some soldiers did a dance and it was actually quite well done, and Hebron hasn't been swallowed up into the earth because of it.

Next?

Ok. Well, anyways, some soldiers did a dance and it was actually quite well done, and Hebron hasn't been swallowed up into the earth because of it.

Next?

Sure, they can take there dance troop to the wailing wall in Jerusalem for there next show, oh and they can do it on the Sabbath, after all there secular. See how that goes down.

Have people nothing better to do than try to post anti-israeli video clips ?

Well if you are going to seriously accuse me of that you might consider why you decided to comment on an "anti-israeli" thread. Not agreeing with a certain behavior does not make make me anti-israeli.
    You might be better served promoting peace as opposed to looking for "anti-israelis"

For my part I started this thread to show that there appears (please review the thread title) to be stupid behavior by a number of IDF which, whether or not was meant as a joke, could have easily sparked off a bad situation.
    You are just looking for something to shoot down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,933 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

why do Palestinians not have a sense of humor ?

It gets ridiculous on here with this nonsense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,080 ✭✭✭hallelujajordan

If anything its highly insensitive, whether coincidence or not, and bound to provoke a reaction. Probably not a good one.
    I like to think that they'd know better but I'm not convinced. Recording it is one thing, posting it to the internet only serves to give the 2 fingers.

. . . interesting . . .

. .and you re-posted it on boards to do what ? Provoke a reaction ??? If you really cared so much about muslim sensitivities you would do what the rest of us do and ignore such rubbish !

• Advertisement

I'd imagine that a bunch of Paras doing some jig outside a catholic church in NI would get scant laughs from that section of the community.....

If some one broke into your house and starts living upstairs, and has one of his mates, keep you in line at gun point, would you have a sense of humour if they then started insulting you?

Fairly understandable that they probably don't.
    They have had their land stolen, live in fear of persecution and are treated like animals on a daily basis. I suspect the majority of Palestinians are denied access to the internet as well as their basic human rights so they probably don't have the benefit of seeing the "funny dance".

It gets ridiculous alright, that you can't post an opinion without being labelled "anti-israeli" and accused of nonsense.

If Palestinians did a similar thing in front of the wailing wall etc, would they be congratulated for having a good sense of humour or severely beaten up and arrested.

You obviously have no problem with the countess deaths on both sides of the conflict and appear to be happy with things as they are. I wonder how your opinions might change if you found yourself in the middle of it.

. . . interesting . . .

. .and you re-posted it on boards to do what ? Provoke a reaction ??? If you really cared so much about muslim sensitivities you would do what the rest of us do and ignore such rubbish !

Not all Palestinians are Muslim, and secondly, these nutjobs are stealing there land:

So insulting them is like rubbing salt in a wound.

I know some people would like to pretend that the occupation and colonization of Palestinian land doesn't exist, but sadly it does.

. . . interesting . . .

Well for starters we have the luxury of being able to discuss it, others are not so fortunate.

As I pointed out and if you care to read my previous post properly you will see that am an atheist but I can see how others will be highly offended.

I didn't look to provoke a reaction, but a discussion - you know....a chat board...

I am happy for you to feel free to ignore from now on so

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,933 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Nodin wrote: »
    I'd imagine that a bunch of Paras doing some jig outside a catholic church in NI would get scant laughs from that section of the community.....

If i saw that id laugh my ass off if the moves whee good enough.
    If some one broke into your house and starts living upstairs, and has one of his mates, keep you in line at gun point, would you have a sense of humour if they then started insulting you?

Again if the dance was funny i would laugh.
    Fairly understandable that they probably don't.
    They have had their land stolen, live in fear of persecution and are treated like animals on a daily basis. I suspect the majority of Palestinians are denied access to the internet as well as their basic human rights so they probably don't have the benefit of seeing the "funny dance".

It gets ridiculous alright, that you can't post an opinion without being labelled "anti-israeli" and accused of nonsense.

If Palestinians did a similar thing in front of the wailing wall etc, would they be congratulated for having a good sense of humour or severely beaten up and arrested.

You obviously have no problem with the countess deaths on both sides of the conflict and appear to be happy with things as they are. I wonder how your opinions might change if you found yourself in the middle of it.

1. If they have no access to the internet then they wont see it.
    2. Yes if the palistinians made a funny video of them dancing i would laugh at that too.

Same way i liked the video of all the voilent prisoners doing the triller dance.

Funny video = Funny
    People dying = Bad

this is the stupidest ****ing most frivilous thread yet. It really does show that certain types will use ANYTHING to try and criticise Israel.

Might as well have some lovely female IDF soliders to brighten it up a bit.

Again if the dance was funny i would laugh.

Really, even after they murdered a member of your family? Wow, well you see other people tend to get annoyed when people who steal there land, and murder there family members, and then insult them for good measure. It just doesn't go down well, and its just not on to do that sort of thing.

this is the stupidest ****ing most frivilous thread yet. It really does show that certain types will use ANYTHING to try and criticise Israel.

You say the same thing in almost every one of these threads actually, so what your saying has lost all meaning at this point.

Oh and as for the video, being good looking doesn't change the fact there members of an organization known for murdering innocent civilians.

Really, even after they murdered a member of your family? Wow, well you see other people tend to get annoyed when people who steal there land, and murder there family members, and then insult them for good measure. It just doesn't go down well, and its just not on to do that sort of thing.

Where is the evidence that the soldiers in this video murdered anyone? As per usual you are going way off topic.

• Advertisement
Advertisement