Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

British Open Golf

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 951 ✭✭✭Verance

I'm almost sure the US Open had the 10 shot rule a few weeks ago. I remember them talking about stricker (who finished +7 after 2 rounds) not wanting the leading score to be better than -3.
    Yeah, that's where my idea came from, I think there were 80-85 players who made the cut and if the bookies were only counting on 70 making it, extra value could be found. One to look out for in the future maybe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,251 ✭✭✭Juwwi

I went for woods to miss the cut today at 13/2 with pp's.

A new putter and bad conditions l dont think its a 13/2 shot.

Heavyballs whats your outright picks?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭heavyballs

robbie1977 wrote: »
    I went for woods to miss the cut today at 13/2 with pp's.

A new putter and bad conditions l dont think its a 13/2 shot.

Heavyballs whats your outright picks?

getting stick earlier in the thread for picking Phil but i think at 20/1 e/w 7 places he's good value,imo anyone who's won a major b4 is starting with a couple of shots over the field

Phil Mick @20/1
    JB Holmes @250/1
    VJ @100/1
    Peter Hanson @125/1
    All e/w

progress.gif

• Moderators Posts: 8,725 ✭✭✭x PyRo

I'm on Singh @ 90/1 and Laird @ 275/1.

Only €5 e/w on both for the interest, haven't a notion about golf to say the least but I enjoy watching and playing it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,710 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Els 23
    Goydos 550
    Goosen 65
    Wood 100
    Curtis 160
    Mahan 190
    Leonard 280
    S.Hansen 350
    Love III 360
    Weir 380
    Glover 400
    Goggin 700
    Petrovic 780
    Kelly 880
    Coltart 1000

Big bet on Els with my usual small bet scatter gun approach on the rest with a view to do some laying.

McDowell 4.5 leading irishman with a saver on Clarke at 10.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭eldrickwoods

Some worthy tips in there. I've done my betting tips this week and here's a quick synopsis:

NAP - Sergio Garcia - 100/1. I know he's in bad form but he's made for the expected windy weather.
    Camilo Villegas - 90/1. Hits it low and putts well. Not on a great run either but the Open is unique.
    Padraig - 25/1. If the wind blows then he'll grind like his life depends on it.
    Kenny Perry - 150/1. Can play in the wind too. Hits the ball a bit high but great price for the man. Playing consistently well of late.

Looking forward to watching some of the pros toil this weekend. I'll feel their pain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭deewhy

HAve backed the following but will aim to do usual laying off on longer priced:

Harrington - course, wind, putting, major winner @ 27's is a good value bet - all he needs to do is beat the battle in his head. I Expect a big show.

Donald - backed at 46's - not long but accurate, no 1 in sand saves pga tour, good season with a win in europe & saw him practise last week in a gale in Doonbeg.

Ricky Fowler - backed @ 300 win & 14 for top 10. A young aggressive player but well up on the greens in regulation stats. Could put in a big show if he handles wind and links.

Zach Johnson - backed @ 170 - first time I have backed him in a major since I backed him in his masters year. Depends on which Zach turns up but driving and putting stats backed up by a victory this year makes price appealing

Jeff Overton - backed @ 170 - a player on the up enjoying a good year with 4 top 3 finishes. long driver with a good putting stroke.

And the lottery numbers for this week are....:rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,982 ✭✭✭Degag

heavyballs wrote: »
    getting stick earlier in the thread for picking Phil but i think at 20/1 e/w 7 places he's good value,imo anyone who's won a major b4 is starting with a couple of shots over the field

Phil Mick @20/1
    JB Holmes @250/1
    VJ @100/1
    Peter Hanson @125/1
    All e/w

progress.gif

I agree with you, 18s (with Powers) is a very good price for a player of Michelson's standerd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭heavyballs

Degag wrote: »
    I agree with you, 18s (with Powers) is a very good price for a player of Michelson's standerd.

he was 20's in the shop on Monday at 12 bells,happy days,every extra € helps

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 226 ✭✭CRenegade

Went with:

Rory 17/1
    Furyk 40/1
    Gallacher 100/1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭superfurry1

After a long hard look in the mirror and alot of soul searching i went with these golfers do me proud men. God be with you :D
    Adam Scott 100-1 e/w
    Ross Fisher 50-1 e/w
    Paul Lawrie 200-1 e/w :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,975 ✭✭✭iMuse

Top Rest Of World Player - Camillo Villegas
    Going to go for this and maybe a bit on mickelson. Know very little about golf but sure it will make it a better watch :D

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Decided I'll back Bjorn also, another one who went close back in 2000 as well as Duval who I mentioned earlier.

Usually have 5 bets for the Majors think I'll have around 10 before the start of round 1!

Currently have made bets on..

Lowry Top 20
    Curtis E/W (@ 80/1.. he's now 125/1!!!)
    Furyk E/W

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,982 ✭✭✭Degag

I've decided that Michelson @ 18s is too big to turn down.

Have smaller bets on

Furyk
    Goosen
    Duval
    Gay
    Glover
    Curtis
    Kelly

Also have a nostalgia bet on Watson

Backed far too many as usual of course but some decent value there i think.

Oh have a euro e/w on Goydos @ 300s after his 59 last week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,365 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

heavyballs wrote: »
    would u not back him in pp or boyle's,payin 7 places,even if the price is a bit less it makes sense as top 5 bet will have a good chance of a tie hence reducing the amount staked
    Going with powers because there paying 7 places

Boyles are now paying 8 places, was in the Racing Post today

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭shaggykev

Remember about 7 years ago when bookies paid 4 places in the golf, then they'd pay 5 for the big tournaments, then powers or the like went 6 and now 7 for the open and now we have 8

cant wait till its each way 10 places but the win book must be getting cut at those place terms.

I'd like a bookie to go 6 places and guarantee full odds dead heats

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,778 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Not normally a golf bettor so just wondering do bookies allow Patents/L15s on players to make the cut/finish in first 20 etc?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,710 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Not normally a golf bettor so just wondering do bookies allow Patents/L15s on players to make the cut/finish in first 20 etc?

I'd be very surprised if they did. They'd take them on the 3 ball group betting alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 691 ✭✭✭ghosttown

How's the weather looking for tomorrow ? 1st round leader bets - early out or late ? Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 706 ✭✭✭BoardsRanger

Whats the general opinion on the following- Darren Clarke at 80-1 on Paddypower playing 7 places or at 70-1 on boylesports playing 8 places?

• Advertisement

Whats the general opinion on the following- Darren Clarke at 80-1 on Paddypower playing 7 places or at 70-1 on boylesports playing 8 places?

Get on it and quickly :)

He's down to 66/1 on PP :(
    Have a few euro E/W on him myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

E/w in golf can be head-wrecking. The chances are a few players will finish on the same score so you can forget the 1/4 odds on your e/w place, more like a 1/4 your stake like the WC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭scheister

i see boyles are paying 8 on the open as a special today. bit annoying for the people like myself who placed the bets earlier on in the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Crowie13

Garcia has let me down so many times in the past but at 80/1 with PP it's gotta be worth a little punt.

Also K.J Choi at 80/1 Here's hoping :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭Jaysoose

Little help lads, what price are stricker and tim clark? cant get on any sites in here.

Basically been going through the driving stats on the euro and pga tour and clark is well up there with stricker just outside the top 20 , i know they dont play any links but its going to be vital to keep the ball in play.

God at this rate i will have a dozen backed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,778 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Just in case anyone is interested, Celtic are offering 7/1 about any Irish player winning The Open. Win only though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 813 ✭✭✭wiger toods

added donald 35/1, duval 200/1, and goydos 200/1 too me other picks of faldo, ernie, n molinari! boyles now ofering 1/4 odds 1-8. so couldnt resist that! thats defo my lot for this open! all E2 ew bets!

Backed Woods @ 7-1
    Els @ 20-1
    Donald @ 40-1

All win only

Also backed KJ Choi to be leading after Rd 1 @ 100-1. He seems to start off well in all the majors.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Gone for Woods at 7/1
    Harrington @ 22/1
    Singh @ 100/1
    All win

One of the best things about backing Woods is at least you see where your money is going. Every shot he makes is shown on TV and he is the centre of attention.

Everyone else is secondary even if right up the top of the leaderboard.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭SirDelboy18

very good point warper

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 163 ✭✭MajorThom

I like the look of Edoardo Molinari to be top european player (excluding GB and I) at 11/1 on PP.

champions challenge cancelled due to weather. what chance full play tomorrow ? and back to original question, anyone any idea if the weather will favour early or late starters for 1st round leader bets ?

Lads (and lassies) if you're betting to win only, note that on PP they have an 'enhanced win only' market, you get better odds, don't just click on the main market unless you are doing each way....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 813 ✭✭✭wiger toods

Warper wrote: »
    One of the best things about backing Woods is at least you see where your money is going. Every shot he makes is shown on TV and he is the centre of attention.

Everyone else is secondary even if right up the top of the leaderboard.
    h! ha! i was goin to throw E5 on him, just simply for that reason. didnt bother in the end, but it adds to it when you can actually watch the golfer you've backed!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭eldrickwoods

ghosttown wrote: »
    champions challenge cancelled due to weather. what chance full play tomorrow ? and back to original question, anyone any idea if the weather will favour early or late starters for 1st round leader bets ?

they're saying rain tomorrow but v little in the way of wind. the hard wind is due on friday. when the wind picks up then the likes of Garcia should be favoured. the greens will be slow too and this should play into his hands.

Another good weekend for Spain. I'm sticking with Sergio.

open betting tips article here if anyone is interested.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

Thanks to Valueseeker for pointing out the Villegas ROTW bet. - looks good to me. I have gone for €5 each way on it. (16/1)

Also €5 on Ryan Moore top 20 finish at 9/2

And a couple of euro on Shane Lowry and JB Holmes top 10 finish @ 12/1 each.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

Havret E/W @ 250's. Solely for his final round at Pebble Beach. Played better than most of the big guys when it mattered, and only got beaten by my other pic.

McDowell, when I saw Boyles were offering 8 places, I looked away from Big Phil (I think I will regret this) and picked someone at a bigger price. But he finished well enough last week, and he's even backed himself (charity bet from PP I think)

Good luck all! Here's hoping I get a chance to watch most of it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,630 ✭✭✭The Recliner

Bets placed

Villegas @ 80/1
    Furyk @ 55/1
    Sergio Garcia @ 90/1 (have bet on him for years, would be typical of him to win if I stopped now)
    D Duval @ 250/1
    JB Holmes @ 150/1
    J Rose @ 18/1

Bubba or Tom Watson to win @ 150/1

J Daly top ten @ 18/1

€1 and €2 bets on these

My GF has gone for the following

Furyk @ 55/1
    Sergio Garcia @ 90/1
    M Goggin @ 300/1

D Clarke top tem @ 8/1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,975 ✭✭✭iMuse

Gone for:
    Villegas top rest of the world at 7.2
    Garcia @ 110
    Harrington @ 26

Should be a good watch i hope :D

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭DFB BOY

only placed two bets on:
    4/1 woods
    20/1 rose
    suppose its handy that they are playing together as an earlier poster said they will always show woods shots :0)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 813 ✭✭✭todolist

I really think Martin Kaymer (45/1 with powers) is going to win or go super close.This guy is and up and coming champion worthy of his compatriot Bernhard Langer.
    A good E/W bet is the in form Bubba Watson (150/1 with powers).Do these two guys and i guarantee you'll come out with a profit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,401 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

todolist wrote: »
    I really think Martin Kaymer (45/1 with powers) is going to win or go super close.This guy is and up and coming champion worthy of his compatriot Bernhard Langer.
    A good E/W bet is the in form Bubba Watson (150/1 with powers).Do these two guys and i guarantee you'll come out with a profit.

Guarantee, eh? Right, I've thrown a fiver each way on each. That's a score you owe me if neither place

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

I was listening to Bob Bubka and Ronan Rafferty earlier on and they both said to keep an eye on players who have been playing on the European tour for the past few weeks, they have been playing in similar weather conditions to whats forecast for St Andrews so he reckons they have acclimatised themselves.

Also Tiger has changed putter in a bid to try and revive his short game which has been awful lately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,979 ✭✭✭Vurnon San Benito

€40 E/W on Rory McIllroy @ 16/1 with PP.

Lets hope he does decent!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭TheHopeful

Hav gone for Harrington 25/1 to win, and Donald 40/1, E Molinari 90/1, Chris Wood 70/1 and Fisher 50/1 e/w. Hopefuly at least one of them will be in the running.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭coughlan08

justin rose @ 25-1,, €25 e/w;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,931 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

gone for stricker at 40s
    els 20s
    and small stakes on allenby 100, molinari f 80s

and on betfair
    Geoff Ogilvy 150
    Ben Curtis 160
    Brian Gay 600
    Mathew Goggin 630
    Paul Goydos 480
    Fredrik Andersson Hed 680

TOP 5
    paul Goydos 55
    Brian Gay 46
    Mathew Goggin 65
    Fredrik Andersson Hed 70
    Geoff Ogilvy 19
    Ben Curtis 30

and 1st rounds leaders
    chris wood 65
    ben curtis 90

Bit late but oh well.

So...

Curtis
    F. Molinari
    Bjorn
    Clarke
    Duval
    Van Pelt
    Lowry (Top 20)
    Villegas

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 283 ✭✭Trafford Lad

Jaysoose wrote: »
    Gone for big John Daly at 200/1 on laddy's..was going nicely until two dodgy holes on his back nine on sunday...

Good start for you, Daly -7 at the moment..!

• Advertisement
Advertisement