Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A random waffle thread?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Voy wrote: »
    It's probably a good thing that didn't happen, would be like another crescent on the other side of the city stopping people from coming in to the city centre.

If it was like another crescent with the majority of units full, plus the eateries and sports complex, it would have provided a hell of a lot of extra jobs for the city and county.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

Kess73 wrote: »
    If it was like another crescent with the majority of units full, plus the eateries and sports complex, it would have provided a hell of a lot of extra jobs for the city and county.

Still though, it would have been the final nail in the coffin of the city center.

The Opera Center was key, if that been developed along with accompanying restaurants and bars you would have had an absolutely buzzing city center. The market could also open on a more regular basis due to the increased footfall in the area.

I see the M&S rumours have started again in the Limerick Post.

The Post claims to have an "impeccable" source, and show their utter lack of any kind of professionalism when they state in their article that although the council will be officially advertising for expressions of interest from developers to develop a new shopping area in town that there is only one candidate they have in mind.

Just seems mad that the Opera centre was being lauded as the be all and end all, and now there are supposedly talks of a different city centre shopping centre to be built.

The area they are talking about is from the old Dunnes Stores by Sarsfield bridge right onto O'Connell street and would include parts of Arthurs Quay park.

Methinks it will be all talk and waffle just like the Opera centre project despite the Post's source claiming that it is "ready to Roll"

It is on the front page of today's Limerick Post.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Voy

The Post claims to have an "impeccable" source, and show their utter lack of any kind of professionalism when they state in their article that although the council will be officially advertising for expressions of interest from developers to develop a new shopping area in town that there is only one candidate they have in mind.

Don't know a lot about the Post, are you saying you think they just made up the source?

Don't know a lot about the Post, are you saying you think they just made up the source?

Seems a bit odd that a paper would have such a great source and then say something as stupid as the tendering process is being done for show as the council already have a developer in mind before anyone else can put in a application.

Granted this kind of thing is very common in Ireland, hence so many developments costing far more than they should, but to print it in a newspaper is very stupid.

They are basically saying that the council are either too thick to know how to process applications from developers, or that the council is so corrupt that they will pretend to be looking for tenders whilst all along knowing that they already have a man lined up and those applying have no chance regardless of whether they put in a moire cost effective tender.

I am not saying whether they have a source or not, I am saying that what they printed on the front page is very unprofessional.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

Seems a bit odd that a paper would have such a great source and then say something as stupid as the tendering process is being done for show as the council already have a developer in mind before anyone else can put in a application.

Granted this kind of thing is very common in Ireland, hence so many developments costing far more than they should, but to print it in a newspaper is very stupid.

They are basically saying that the council are either too thick to know how to process applications from developers, or that the council is so corrupt that they will pretend to be looking for tenders whilst all along knowing that they already have a man lined up and those applying have no chance regardless of whether they put in a moire cost effective tender.

I am not saying whether they have a source or not, I am saying that what they printed on the front page is very unprofessional.

Read that a while ago totally agree with you its bizarre behaviour, on a side note I hope he doesnt get the go ahead, He has shown his vision before by building a monstrosity on the riverfront and turning its back to the river

• Registered Users Posts: 5,730 ✭✭✭europa11

The Post seem to be getting so much mileage out of this M&S "will they?/won't they?" saga that it's fast becoming a non-story.

As for that old Dunnes site and vacant lots on Liddy St, it was never intended that any retail would go there. I believe political pressure from on high ('Thanks Big Fella' calling Charlie) was needed to overturn a refusal by Limerick Corporation Planning for the Dunnes Stores development on Honan's Quay. iirc, traffic lanes/one way streets had to be re-aligned to accomodate Dunnes' deliveries and a very narrow turning area near Sarsfield Bridge for HGV's.

Still completely unsuitable for any major retail development in the city. For crying out loud it's that other disaster zone - call it Opera Centre or whatever - around Patrick St. district that needs to be torn down and re-developed with ample multi-storey parking spaces within, not at an isolated block and a half by the river which would see Arthurs Quay Park return to its former status as a dull car park.

At least now, with plenty of time before anything meaningful is done in that part of the city, the Council should prioritise any major retail development in the city centre for Patrick St./Ellen St. and leave the old Dunnes revert to perhaps a cinema or entertainment complex.

europa11 wrote: »
    The Post seem to be getting so much mileage out of this M&S "will they?/won't they?" saga that it's fast becoming a non-story.

As for that old Dunnes site and vacant lots on Liddy St, it was never intended that any retail would go there. I believe political pressure from on high ('Thanks Big Fella' calling Charlie) was needed to overturn a refusal by Limerick Corporation Planning for the Dunnes Stores development on Honan's Quay. iirc, traffic lanes/one way streets had to be re-aligned to accomodate Dunnes' deliveries and a very narrow turning area near Sarsfield Bridge for HGV's.

Still completely unsuitable for any major retail development in the city. For crying out loud it's that other disaster zone - call it Opera Centre or whatever - around Patrick St. district that needs to be torn down and re-developed with ample multi-storey parking spaces within, not at an isolated block and a half by the river which would see Arthurs Quay Park return to its former status as a dull car park.At least now, with plenty of time before anything meaningful is done in that part of the city, the Council should prioritise any major retail development in the city centre for Patrick St./Ellen St. and leave the old Dunnes revert to perhaps a cinema or entertainment complex.

Where are you getting a block and a half from?

What was suggested as being the area for this project was from the old Dunnes right up Srafileds street (the same street that was recently redone :rolleyes:) to O'Connell street and then onto O'Connell street which I presume is as far as the Bank/Dunnes across from Brown Thomas, also Liddy street and about half of Arthurs Quay park.

All in all it sounds a far bigger project that what the Opera centre was meant to be, and I reckon it has just as much chance of happening on that scale as the Opera centre has of making what was it's listed opening date :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

This waffle thread has gotten very serious :(

/ needs beers

This waffle thread has gotten very serious :(

/ needs beers

What it needs is a feathered mod to abuse. :D

• Advertisement

What it needs is a feathered mod to abuse. :D

IO will be along shortly....

IO will be along shortly....

Good , good.

There is a dark laneway that I want to show him around tonight. :pac::pac:

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I've been here the whole time!

troll-i-lied-black.png

*bans everyone*

I've been here the whole time!

troll-i-lied-black.png

*bans everyone*

In tonight?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

In tonight?

Yup! I'll be trying to get to every session this month. 20 nights until grading and all that jazz.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

Is that place just going to sit there rotting away, filling up with rats for the foreseeable future, or do they actually have any plans for it, or hopes even?

Although it's nice they tried to tidy it up a bit ya know what really annoys me?? The one that's done up as WILLIAMS'S STORES......sweet zobie jesus. No pne will invest in a city that can't punctuate...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

You know what annoys me? The way on the boards mobile site they have put a "reply" style button at the bottom of the page, but it's actually a link to google ads so they can make a few pence everytime someone clicks it in error

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

Itsdacraic wrote: »
    You know what annoys me? The way on the boards mobile site they have put a "reply" style button at the bottom of the page, but it's actually a link to google ads so they can make a few pence everytime someone clicks it in error

Memo to Management - Stupidity Button is working 100% - Revenues are through the roof !!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

Not sure if any of you are into craft beer but there sure is a nice selection in the Locke these days. They've just stocked Flying Dog Snake Dog IPA. Lovely beer at 7.1% Alc.

They also have Sierra Nevada Pale Ale, Sierra Nevada Summerfest, Blue Moon and a whole lot of others. About time you could get these beers in Limerick.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,036 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

Itsdacraic wrote: »

peter-griffin-grinds-my-gears.jpg

Anyways, back in Limerick as of yesterday! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭TheWarrior

RonMexico wrote: »
    Not sure if any of you are into craft beer but there sure is a nice selection in the Locke these days. They've just stocked Flying Dog Snake Dog IPA. Lovely beer at 7.1% Alc.

They also have Sierra Nevada Pale Ale, Sierra Nevada Summerfest, Blue Moon and a whole lot of others. About time you could get these beers in Limerick.
    Have they an online menu? If not have they SN torpedo?

Christ...how is it Monday all ready...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

Tomorrow is Tuesday so it's all good.I'm finishing at half 3 for the week then. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

TheWarrior wrote: »
    Have they an online menu? If not have they SN torpedo?

No, but I'm sure if you ask them they will try and get it. I asked them to get SN and Flying Dog and they went and got them fair play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

I had a 2 day week last week and then flew to Germany to bring some customers to a beer festival which was technically work.

Dancing on a stage at 4am snuffing back Jagermeisters and red bull wasn't quite work. :D

Today is a bad day because I know I have a full week ahead of me. I have to go away as well tomorrow night and I really really don't want to. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

Why did I wanna go back to college?? Sleepy already

• Registered Users Posts: 18,036 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

SarahBeep! wrote: »
    Why did I wanna go back to college?? Sleepy already

The weather doesn't help :(

...Then again neither does a 2+ hour economics lecture :/

The Ul library and Spar got spruced up a little though, didn't they?

The weather doesn't help :(

...Then again neither does a 2+ hour economics lecture :/

library already.....nerd!!!!:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

I saw that on your facebook. Fascinated by Glass windows and walls. :o As long as you learn something and aren't staring out the windows at least.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

anyone know where we'd get/borrow some charity collection buckets to use at outbreak? And know anyone who'd like to sponsor up some tshirts in exchange for popping a logo on there?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement