Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A random waffle thread?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

xsiborg wrote: »
    erm... i just thought "Kess", "73", girl named Kess born in 1973, now im just thinking that "Kess" could be short for Kestrel, given that their the mod of nature and bird watching... :o

ohh man, damn these non-specific gendered usernames! :p

EDIT: yeah, just done a post history thingy, that was a bit embarrassing, apologies... :o

No harm done. I reckon you were just mixing me up with Xiled Sniper. Now she is a lovely young lady.

You are right with the 73 bit, but wrong with where the Kess bit came from. That bit comes from a nickname given to me by a grandparent of Danish origin and other relatives in that neck of the woods. Is also why I have some tattoos of Danish/Norse mythology as I grew up hearing tales of both Irish and Danish mythology.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Iang87

those tales sound cool to grow up listening to. I grew up listening to the tales my father told of the monumental pissup after munsters won the ail in 93. I was 6 so I wasn't allowed to partake. Great stories nonetheless

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,635 ✭✭✭xsiborg

source wrote: »
    So kess is still a dude???

i just assumed with the banter over the various threads between himself and Xiled, i used be thinking "oh would those two ever get a room!"... :D

"When you assume, u make an ass out of u and me"
    - Somebody a hell of a lot wiser than me! :p

on a sidenote anyways, lol, you guys think you have it bad with the dogs, im up to my back teeth with the young lad the way he comes into our bed during the night and wedges himself in between myself and my wife, then he does some sort of jack-knife where his legs fly straight out into my back, re-arranging my vertebrae! :confused:

ze memory foam mattress, eet does nawtheeng! :(

Iang87 wrote: »
    those tales sound cool to grow up listening to. I grew up listening to the tales my father told of the monumental pissup after munsters won the ail in 93. I was 6 so I wasn't allowed to partake. Great stories nonetheless

I had my mother and her mother telling me about Irish mythology (and making sure I had the ability to converse to some degree in Irish, no mean feat to keep a straight face when I used to speak Irish with a scouse tinged accent :D), then my grandfather and some of his family would fuel my imagination with tales of Norse lore.

My dad, his father, and his father's father etc are all 100% scouse, so they gave me footy and a very strong interest in all thing navel and Air related.

So I grew up as some kind of mongrel hotch potch of Scouse, and Irish with some Danish mashed in.:) Should not really have come as a surprise when I grew up to be the type with a fairly constant wanderlust. and who ended up learning a number of other languages along the way.:)

Kess73 wrote: »
    No harm done. I reckon you were just mixing me up with Xiled Sniper. Now she is a lovely young lady.

You are right with the 73 bit, but wrong with where the Kess bit came from. That bit comes from a nickname given to me by a grandparent of Danish origin and other relatives in that neck of the woods. Is also why I have some tattoos of Danish/Norse mythology as I grew up hearing tales of both Irish and Danish mythology.

I once knew a dutch girl called Kess,
    Whose hair my god 'twas a mess,
    The wind it was bracing,
    As down the street she went racing,
    But by god she looked well in a dress... :eek:

yes, i DID just make that up! :D

ah no, i had long understood Kess to be a girl's name, didnt know it had celtic or nordic origins though... :o

from babynamespedia.com

Kess - Meaning of the name

Kess.1.png

[ 1 syll. kes(s), ke-ss ] The baby girl name Kess is pronounced KEHS †. Kess' language of origin is Unknown and African-Ashanti. The name has in recent times appeared in the American TV seriesStar Trek: Voyager (1995-2001).
    Kess is a variation of Kessie.
    Variations of Kess include Kessa, Kesse, Kessey, Kessi, and Kessie. Kess is not often used as a baby girl name. It is not listed within the top 1000. Baby names that sound like Kess include Kesse, Ka (Dutch), Kace (English), Kae (English), Kai (Scandinavian, English, Hawaiian, and German), Kaie, Kaj (German and Scandinavian), Kake, Kass (English), Kay (English and German), Kayce (English), Kaye (English), Kayse (English), Kea (English and Hawaiian), Keawe (Hawaiian), Kei (Hawaiian and Japanese), Keke (Hawaiian), Kesy, Kew (Chinese), and Kez (English).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,036 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

How many times since its creation has there been a limerick on the Limerick forum? Let's be honest now.

How many times since its creation has there been a limerick on the Limerick forum? Let's be honest now.

There was a thread that was pretty much nothing but Limericks.

I once knew a dutch girl called Kess,
    Whose hair my god 'twas a mess,
    The wind it was bracing,
    As down the street she went racing,
    But by god she looked well in a dress... :eek:

yes, i DID just make that up! :D

ah no, i had long understood Kess to be a girl's name, didnt know it had celtic or nordic origins though... :o

from babynamespedia.com

It comes from a shortened version of a surname, not a forename. :) And nothing to do with the Scottish surname.

My dad, his father, and his father's father etc are all 100% scouse, so they gave me footy and a very strong interest in all thing navel and Air related.

say_again.dib

belly button fluff picking? :D

say_again.dib

belly button fluff picking? :D

Well played sir, well played. I of course meant Naval, but now I will have to regard you as an internet nemesis :D

I submit the following video as an example of what is to come.:):)

• Advertisement

I had my mother and her mother telling me about Irish mythology

i grew up with same, stories of cú chullainn agus na fianna, very hard to find a book of irish mythology and stories now though, i had a massive book full of them when i was a child, tried in o' mahonys for one, but to no real avail, and any searches on the internet only threw up one or two that i could print out, nothing of the quality of the illustrations or depth of the stories i had in the book i had when i was a child.

awful pity really, these days how its all harry potter and what not, and the excitement and passion in stories like tir na nog and the children of lir, they seem long forgotten, shame... :(

i grew up with same, stories of cú chullainn agus na fianna, very hard to find a book of irish mythology and stories now though, i had a massive book full of them when i was a child, tried in o' mahonys for one, but to no real avail, and any searches on the internet only threw up one or two that i could print out, nothing of the quality of the illustrations or depth of the stories i had in the book i had when i was a child.

awful pity really, these days how its all harry potter and what not, and the excitement and passion in stories like tir na nog and the children of lir, they seem long forgotten, shame... :(

You should pick up a copy of The Táin which is a translation of Táin Bó Cúailnge. Great stuff indeed.

Or if you like graphic novels, check out Sláine, especially the books of Invasion where the artwork is simply amazing and makes the read an experience.

Much easier to find quality books relating to Norse mythology than Irish though. I have found many of the books on Irish mythology to be poorly researched, and often written by people who seem to have no connection, passion, or respect for the subject. Which is a shame as Ireland has such a rich vein of mythology that deserves to be tapped and retold.

Well played sir, well played. I of course meant Naval, but now I will have to regard you as an internet nemesis :D

so many references to "heroes" in that clip, even when the guy is sitting at home watching heroes on tv! :D

You should pick up a copy of The Táin which is a translation of Táin Bó Cúailnge. Great stuff indeed.

Or if you like graphic novels, check out Sláine, especially the books of Invasion where the artwork is simply amazing and makes the read an experience.

Much easier to find quality books relating to Norse mythology than Irish though. I have found many of the books on Irish mythology to be poorly researched, and often written by people who seem to have no connection, passion, or respect for the subject. Which is a shame as Ireland has such a rich vein of mythology that deserves to be tapped and retold.

:eek: i used buy Sláine as a teenager! the táin bó cúailnge rings a bell too, the book i had (my mother reckons its "somewhere" in the house, home place of portlaoise), it was a massive collection of stories like a bible almost of irish folklore, the old testament of irish folklore even, if you will... :D

while it comes to mind actually, maybe IO could point me in the direction of some good resources, i'd imagine he being an accomplished gaeilgeoir might be able to shed some light on the subject... :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

If you go into the Bargain book store on Thomas street you can get Lady Gregory's book them for a tenner.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Lady-Gregorys-Complete-Irish-Mythology/dp/0753709457/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1323366990&sr=8-2

No illustrations but interesting reading all the same.

If you go into the Bargain book store on Thomas street you can get Lady Gregory's book them for a tenner.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Lady-Gregorys-Complete-Irish-Mythology/dp/0753709457/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1323366990&sr=8-2

No illustrations but interesting reading all the same.

excellent stuff Amazo, the young lad is 7 but apparently has the "reading age" of a 16 year old, that's why i wanted to get him into reading the same kind of folklore i read when I was his age. most of the books aimed at teenagers were, well, unsuitable really... :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

excellent stuff Amazo, the young lad is 7 but apparently has the "reading age" of a 16 year old, that's why i wanted to get him into reading the same kind of folklore i read when I was his age. most of the books aimed at teenagers were, well, unsuitable really... :(

No worries, read loads of the same stories as a kid. Did you try the Celtic bookstore for illustrated ones?

No worries, read loads of the same stories as a kid. Did you try the Celtic bookstore for illustrated ones?

i actually didnt, never even crossed my mind! when his teacher said it to me that he was at that reading level, i straight away suggested o mahonys, ah this was actually last year some time, ah even now this year i was thinking of getting him an e-reader for christmas, but then i said no, because a physical book, to me anyway, still feels a lot better to hold than one of them e-readers, but thats a personal bias that hasnt sold me on the idea yet.

thanks for that though Amazo and Kess, and apologies to all for dragging this thread into the realms of the sensible, lol, back to the waffle! :D:p

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

while it comes to mind actually, maybe IO could point me in the direction of some good resources, i'd imagine he being an accomplished gaeilgeoir might be able to shed some light on the subject... :o

The only books I can think of right now are "Seanchas na Féinne", Niall Ó Dónaill's 1942 collection of stories and poems (as Gaeilge) about the Fianna, and "Over Nine Waves", a 1995 collection of stories ranging from the Celtic myths and legends up to early Christian Ireland and the early Irish saints. That one is in English, but I can't remember where my own copy of it is now! :o

The staff in the City/County libraries would probably appreciate the visit and the interest, and would have books for varying reading-levels. The Limerick Studies centre in Lissanalta House (Dooradoyle) might be worth a shot as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭steveon

would highly recommend the book depository for books. Free delivery worldwide and a great selection 2. I saved a packed already this xmas hehe

http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/?redirected=true&gclid=CPClk53D86wCFYEa4Qod9CfFMA

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

In the last week or so I have read Child 44 and currently working my way through The Secret Speech (the sequel to Child 44). Both books are really gripping stuff, very hard to put down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Nyom Nyom

All being delivered to a boardsie this afternoon. Nyom Nyom Cost Price Beer. :D

779ea76f.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

Whatever happened to the Xmas Craft Beers?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

Mmmmmm Erdinger

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Anyone up for doing a Christmas meet up? I know there was talks of doing a Craftbeer Pub Crawl between a few of us - might be an excuse to get a few of the usual heads, (And some of the not-so-usual heads) to a meetup if anyones interested?
    source wrote: »
    Sounds good, I'm interested anyway.
    Whatever happened to the Xmas Craft Beers?

I'll start a new thread now and we'll see if we can put something together.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

I'll start a new thread now and we'll see if we can put something together.

We could hold it in the boot of Beer Baron's car it seems....!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

We could hold it in the boot of Beer Baron's car it seems....!

the judge says he cant hold anyone in the boot of his car again.....

the judge says he cant hold anyone in the boot of his car again.....

It wouldn't have been a problem if I had only tied the knot correctly. :rolleyes:

Also I didn't know VW installed these "easy escape" handles (These are real by the way)

trunk-release-handle.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

you can fit 7 people in the boot of a vw passat......fact...

• Advertisement

you can fit 7 people in the boot of a vw passat......fact...

Alive or...........................................something else. :eek:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement