Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A random waffle thread?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

source wrote: »
    It was a nice evening, movie on the tv, fire going. I had a bottle of beer and mrs source had a bottle of wine going.

Laptop open scanning boards. Then mrs source suggests that the dog be left into the sitting room. Source thinks about this for a moment and agrees. He goes to the back door and the dog saunters in past him. Through the kitchen, the hall and into the sitting room.

A few minutes pass and nothing happens, the dog lies down and plays with her chew toy, all is going well. Mrs source calls the dog, who energetically runs to mrs source, tail wagging like crazy.

Oh no source cried as the dogs tail connects with the wine glass, sending its dark red contents over source's keyboard.

Source grabs the laptop and rushes off to find a hair drier. Then the afflicted laptop is lovingly placed in the hot press to dry out overnight.

Source wakes up late and thinks all is well in the world, remembers his poor laptop in the hot press, and runs to check it out.

It starts, success he thinks! But alas no, when he goes to enter his password, there is nothing. The keyboard fails to respond. Damn and blast it he cries, before heading off to check computer repair guys on his phone.

See...this is what you get for letting the missus have her way....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

See...this is what you get for letting the missus have her way....

Not trained well enough imo :p

Not trained well enough imo :p

the dog or the missus?

the dog or the missus?

Both by the looks of it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,287 ✭✭✭source

the dog or the missus?

Both by the looks of it

Hahaha

Brilliant, was out walking said dog.

I chose to exercise my right to silence on the training topic.

• Advertisement

Hahaha

you mean your trained to shut up :P

Hahaha

you mean your trained to shut up :P

When I know what's good for me haha. ;)

Anyway back to the original point, anyone know a good CHEAP repair guy. Need to get it fixed with a rush.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭The Snipe

use a usb keyboard for now :P

Cheapest and best I can recommend is ExpertPC in Raheen, by the church.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,635 ✭✭✭xsiborg

Anyway back to the original point, anyone know a good CHEAP repair guy. Need to get it fixed with a rush.

what model of a laptop is it source? you can always find replacement keyboards on e-bay and i could talk you through replacing it. hopefully it's just a "one screw in the back" job where you don't have to take off the bezel, because that'll be a right pain to get off in the first place, then to get back on flat with no bumps caused by kinked wires!

oh, when replacing the keyboard, mind that you dont snap the little tab that keeps the keyboard ribbon in place!

the guy in the pc repair shop on davis street has plenty of spare dell keyboards, if it's one of those, i could have it replaced for you this afternoon and have your laptop back up and running, labour FOC as a favour for a boardsie, so the keyboard might cost you approx €20... ;)

• Advertisement

xsiborg wrote: »

what model of a laptop is it source? you can always find replacement keyboards on e-bay and i could talk you through replacing it. hopefully it's just a "one screw in the back" job where you don't have to take off the bezel, because that'll be a right pain to get off in the first place, then to get back on flat with no bumps caused by kinked wires!

oh, when replacing the keyboard, mind that you dont snap the little tab that keeps the keyboard ribbon in place!

the guy in the pc repair shop on davis street has plenty of spare dell keyboards, if it's one of those, i could have it replaced for you this afternoon and have your laptop back up and running, labour FOC as a favour for a boardsie, so the keyboard might cost you approx €20... ;)

It's a HP Pavillion Dv 1680, I'd say finding a keyboard for it will be hard enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

Hey person who knows about computers ;):D

Where's the best place to get my screen replaced? 17'' Toshiba, about 4 years old but still in good nick! Daddy said he'd sort it but was quoted €180 and even I know that's robbery! Any words of wisdom? Also, The pin in the laptop that the power lead plugs into is a bit wobbley.....

(Yes, I know, I learned from my mistakes and I have insurance on the netbook!! :P )

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭TheTownie

SarahBeep! wrote: »

Where's the best place to get my screen replaced? 17'' Toshiba, about 4 years old but still in good nick! Daddy said he'd sort it but was quoted €180 and even I know that's robbery! Any words of wisdom? Also, The pin in the laptop that the power lead plugs into is a bit wobbley.....

(Yes, I know, I learned from my mistakes and I have insurance on the netbook!! :P )

I wouldn't say robbery...

Manufacturer would charge a lot more than that.

Different people charge different amounts for their time. Those who charge very little invariably don't tend to be business very long and/or don't put too much pride in their work.

Don't know Limerick well enough to recommend a place. Although with it being a 17" screen I'd be surprised if it gets much cheaper than that quoted figure.

As for the dc socket. Best thing would be to replace the socket. Might be a separate piece to the motherboard or could be apart of it in which case its a solder job. Price wise, the cost for fitting it should be higher than the cost of the part. Actual figures... again not aware of Limerick pricing for such a job.

It's a HP Pavillion Dv 1680, I'd say finding a keyboard for it will be hard enough.

just off the phone now to the guy who owns pc repair on davis street, he has the keyboard alright for a 1680, but, at €50 its a bit on the shpensive side :eek:, sourced one on flea-bay alright but by the time you'd pay delivery and customs it worked out around €30, and build quality on the hp's is none too shabby either, lotta patience to take it apart, i reckon your best bet (would i be right in thinking the laptops a few years old since its a 1000 series?) would be as another poster suggested to get a usb keyboard and mouse, although a decent wireless solution (keyb + ms) would cost you the same €30 as an internal replacement keyb... :(

hmm, hate to say it sarah but whoever quoted you €180 wasnt that far off, approx €120 for the screen (depending on matt or gloss options, etc), then €60 to fit it, ok most places charge about €150 to replace the more common 15" screen (€100 for the screen, €50 to fit it) so that might be the reason for the bit of a price jump, unless you mean €180 for the screen alone in which case, yeah, bit of a rob alright! check out what the guys on brokenscreen.ie might charge you for it, i think thats the address anyway, on the mobile at the mo, but as far as i know they'll pick it up and deliver it back to you FOC... :)

as for the wiggly power connector on the laptop, that part far as i know you can get it out in maplin for €35, but any solder work like that i have a hardware guy that does it for me, he'd probably look for €50 for parts + labour, i dont do it myself because solder work is a pain in the proverbial, tricky, and fair shmellah indoors! :D

Cheers xsiborg, going to try get it cleaned and see what happens.

not wishing to drag the thread into the realms of the serious, but...
    TheTownie wrote: »
    Different people charge different amounts for their time. Those who charge very little invariably don't tend to be business very long and/or don't put too much pride in their work.

speaking for myself, im in business nearly 20 years, there was a time when i could charge £70 an HOUR (yes folks, that's old money!) for a job like virus removal, which back then could take as long as three hours! there are still some places nowadays that charge extortionate prices for virus removal, llast time i checked, pcworld were charging €90 for virus removal. they're still doing great business last time i was out there simply because people either don't know any better, or just don't know anyone that knows even a small bit about computers to be able to fix it for them!

the other side of the coin though, i think the people you are referring to are the likes of the cowboys that fleece their customers that again, dont know any better, and as much as i despise pc world charging extortionate prices, i loathe even more the under the table cowboys fleecing customers and doing half arséd jobs on their repairs. i meet that a lot in my work where they'd have taken it to a repair guy and i find out that the cowboy has done more damage than they've purported to have fixed, and the customer has no comeback! at least in pcworld the customer has some comeback if the repair guy makes a hames of it, and usually if a laptop is still under warranty, i'll always suggest to the customer that i get in touch with the manufacturer for them.

i was last year going to set up an office on catherine street, but with the costs mounting, i decided against it and decided to continue working from home as the costs of a separate premises were too prohibitive to justify the extra expense that i would have to pass on to my customers. i make a comfortable enough living as i am without having to extort my customers and that way i get many return customers, for example when they are making a new IT purchase or an acquaintance of theirs has a problem with their laptop/printer/broadband, etc.

i've never had to advertise and im a firm believer in the mantra that "word of mouth is the best advertisement", something that was instilled in me by my father who was also self employed. he never advertised either, and these were the days before social media was looked on as a potential marketing tool. i cannot stand social media myself tbh, the facebook, twitter, linkedin, etc, works for some, not for me personally. i dont even have a webite actually, the justification being that- when your broadband goes for example, you cant look up the internet for a pc repair guy, and even then, you just dont know what you're getting! realistically, how many times have you used the internet over a personal recommendation?

As for the dc socket. Best thing would be to replace the socket. Might be a separate piece to the motherboard or could be apart of it in which case its a solder job. Price wise, the cost for fitting it should be higher than the cost of the part. Actual figures... again not aware of Limerick pricing for such a job.

i remember i used pay €200 for getting this job done before i met the guy i use now, ex-dell and ex-phillips employee where he used solder PCB's on all manner of electronic equipment from tv's to pc's. the guy is an absolute wizard with a solder gun and i wouldn't use him if his work was any way shoddy, and he doesn't charge extortionate prices either! :)

not wishing to drag the thread into the realms of the serious, but...

speaking for myself, im in business nearly 20 years, there was a time when i could charge £70 an HOUR (yes folks, that's old money!) for a job like virus removal, which back then could take as long as three hours! there are still some places nowadays that charge extortionate prices for virus removal, llast time i checked, pcworld were charging €90 for virus removal. they're still doing great business last time i was out there simply because people either don't know any better, or just don't know anyone that knows even a small bit about computers to be able to fix it for them!

the other side of the coin though, i think the people you are referring to are the likes of the cowboys that fleece their customers that again, dont know any better, and as much as i despise pc world charging extortionate prices, i loathe even more the under the table cowboys fleecing customers and doing half arséd jobs on their repairs. i meet that a lot in my work where they'd have taken it to a repair guy and i find out that the cowboy has done more damage than they've purported to have fixed, and the customer has no comeback! at least in pcworld the customer has some comeback if the repair guy makes a hames of it, and usually if a laptop is still under warranty, i'll always suggest to the customer that i get in touch with the manufacturer for them.

i was last year going to set up an office on catherine street, but with the costs mounting, i decided against it and decided to continue working from home as the costs of a separate premises were too prohibitive to justify the extra expense that i would have to pass on to my customers. i make a comfortable enough living as i am without having to extort my customers and that way i get many return customers, for example when they are making a new IT purchase or an acquaintance of theirs has a problem with their laptop/printer/broadband, etc.

i've never had to advertise and im a firm believer in the mantra that "word of mouth is the best advertisement", something that was instilled in me by my father who was also self employed. he never advertised either, and these were the days before social media was looked on as a potential marketing tool. i cannot stand social media myself tbh, the facebook, twitter, linkedin, etc, works for some, not for me personally. i dont even have a webite actually, the justification being that- when your broadband goes for example, you cant look up the internet for a pc repair guy, and even then, you just dont know what you're getting! realistically, how many times have you used the internet over a personal recommendation?

i remember i used pay €200 for getting this job done before i met the guy i use now, ex-dell and ex-phillips employee where he used solder PCB's on all manner of electronic equipment from tv's to pc's. the guy is an absolute wizard with a solder gun and i wouldn't use him if his work was any way shoddy, and he doesn't charge extortionate prices either! :)

Ah ya I don't disagree with any of that. In my own mind I was referring to a) the kind of cowboys you mentioned already b) those who do operate out of a premises yet still charge a ridiculously low price and when you're in the same town you have a pretty good idea of their overheads, so its not rocket science to realise if their on a sustainable path or not and as I said, invariably they last no more than 6/12 months.

Of course someone like yourself works on a different cost base so its a different kettle of fish. Although you have your own problems with the cowboys potentially tarring your reputation towards new customers but as you said the word of mouth helps drown that out.

So ya when Sarah mentioned that price, the only way that would improve significantly would be if she was dealing with a cowboy or some guy who works off unsustainable margins.

Certainly wasn't brushing those of your ilk with a tardy brush! Thats for sure! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

hmm, hate to say it sarah but whoever quoted you €180 wasnt that far off, approx €120 for the screen (depending on matt or gloss options, etc), then €60 to fit it, ok most places charge about €150 to replace the more common 15" screen (€100 for the screen, €50 to fit it) so that might be the reason for the bit of a price jump, unless you mean €180 for the screen alone in which case, yeah, bit of a rob alright! check out what the guys on brokenscreen.ie might charge you for it, i think thats the address anyway, on the mobile at the mo, but as far as i know they'll pick it up and deliver it back to you FOC... :)

as for the wiggly power connector on the laptop, that part far as i know you can get it out in maplin for €35, but any solder work like that i have a hardware guy that does it for me, he'd probably look for €50 for parts + labour, i dont do it myself because solder work is a pain in the proverbial, tricky, and fair shmellah indoors! :D

Sent them an enquiry, cheers! I'd never heard of them before! I'd say at this stage I'd be better off putting the money towards a new laptop....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

how about a dodgy usb connector on a sony x10 phone? wont charge for me for last week, think it needs a replacement part.

• Advertisement

or a screen for a google nexus S....got sick of it one morning at 4am while on call and hopped it off the wall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,857 ✭✭✭langdang

zuroph wrote: »
    how about a dodgy usb connector on a sony x10 phone? wont charge for me for last week, think it needs a replacement part.
    Have you tried another charger? Or tried the same charger with another phone? The new smartphones could be dogs of things to open up and work on I'd say, everything is so integrated.

An alternative (if you can't find an economical repair) would be to get a yoke off ebay that would charge the battery externally. The boys in Hong Kong seem to be woeful at sending the charger/battery combination that you ordered so on past experience I'd just buy from an Irish or UK supplier.

or a screen for a google nexus S....got sick of it one morning at 4am while on call and hopped it off the wall.

Maybe you should consider buying a Motorola Defy when it comes out...

Maybe you should consider buying a Motorola Defy when it comes out...

Maybe work should consider it :P

langdang wrote: »
    Have you tried another charger? Or tried the same charger with another phone? The new smartphones could be dogs of things to open up and work on I'd say, everything is so integrated.

An alternative (if you can't find an economical repair) would be to get a yoke off ebay that would charge the battery externally. The boys in Hong Kong seem to be woeful at sending the charger/battery combination that you ordered so on past experience I'd just buy from an Irish or UK supplier.

yep, an external battery charger dock would be the best bet Z, one like this-

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/MSE-2-X-Battery-Charger-SONY-ERICSSON-Xperia-X10-/170539882726

Sent them an enquiry, cheers! I'd never heard of them before! I'd say at this stage I'd be better off putting the money towards a new laptop....

wouldn't put the old laptop out to pasture yet, ok it might make more sense yes to put the money towards a new laptop, but you could still put the old laptop to good use as a media center under your tv, €15 for a VGA cable, €30 for a wireless keyb + mouse, and use your tv as a monitor while you're sitting back on the couch with your wireless keyb/mouse with the ability to listen to all your music and still watch all your dvds! :D

or if it's just that it's slowed to a choke, you could just back up all your stuff off it, a factory image reinstall is a matter of a couple of keystrokes and in minutes you're back to laptop day one! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 330 ✭✭Wamble

Mod of the Strength and Sports forum vs a google nexus, i couldn't see that one ending well for the phone either! :p

ah no, it'd set you back about €70 for the screen alone i reckon, i used do mobile phone repairs but it was just too costly to justify the small profit margins, and as small and delicate as laptops can be, my god, mobile phones are like going from fixing desktops to fixing laptops, proportionally speaking at least! :(

Wamble wrote: »

i was just down there myself, the official opening is on at half five, no reception on the mobile so i rushed home to post it on boards, you got there before me! :D now, to run in for a shower, some of the exhibitions are amazing though, my 7 year old particularly liked the melted wax crayons piece, while i myself liked the "from the sea" piece by was it Mary Sweeney? Swansea? :o

• Advertisement

Finding it a struggle to find a house at the moment, searching in the general area of Castletroy. One decent looking place went up 2 hours ago and apparently I was the 5th caller already.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement