Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A random waffle thread?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

anyone know where to pick up microfiber cloths in limerick...for cleaning a visor on a helmet..i assume i could pick them up somewhere other than having to go to meskels.

Go to B+Q, had a offer on cleaning products last week,microfibers were pretty cheap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭The Snipe

Making stuff from leather... NOT EASY! :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

The Snipe wrote: »

Must....not.....make.....sarky....comment :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,635 ✭✭✭xsiborg

Kess73 wrote: »

i was tempted too Kess, but i said i must resist taking the thread down that road again! :D

The yellow brick road?

• Advertisement

The yellow brick road?

cruising cruise's street... :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

xsiborg wrote: »
    i was tempted too Kess, but i said i must resist taking the thread down that road again! :D

Oh my! - You're going to make all of the PVC Gimps look so last year Snipe!

- Damn it, couldn't stop myself......:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭JamesBond2010

What Taxi service could i call around 3/4 in the morning to bring me from clarion to coonagh.??

What Taxi service could i call around 3/4 in the morning to bring me from clarion to coonagh.??

Not trying to give a sarky answer, but pretty much any of the taxi firms could sort you out.

Below is the Golden Pages link for the city centre taxi numbers. Maybe try a few and see who offers you the best price?

http://www.goldenpages.ie/taxi-service/limerick-city-centre-limerick-county/

ok tnx i thought you might only be the ones on the streets since there is no ranks anymore. very few work nights now

• Advertisement

james i thought you were actually FROM limerick, but anyway, the hotel will have no problem getting you a cab, but maybe you're better off to reserve one yourself, i usually use economy cabs, it'll be busy tonight as it's student night in town so you might be left waiting if you called for one on the spot.

also be aware too that some of them charge a €2 callout charge to a hotel... :rolleyes:

i dont know why either, so you're best asking when you call, just to make sure... :)

xsiborg wrote: »
    james i thought you were actually FROM limerick, but anyway, the hotel will have no problem getting you a cab, but maybe you're better off to reserve one yourself, i usually use economy cabs, it'll be busy tonight as it's student night in town so you might be left waiting if you called for one on the spot.

also be aware too that some of them charge a €2 callout charge to a hotel... :rolleyes:

i dont know why either, so you're best asking when you call, just to make sure... :)
    o **** ya i forgot about that. i forgot it was thurs nite,i usually get one from the roadside thats why i was asking about phone numbers tnx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

I swear to god that finding a staycation is a million times worse than trying to find a holiday abroad. The websites are awful, especially the discoverireland.ie because its starts so well and basically is a home for a whole host of owners bad websites or non existent websites.

"Call me for prices" Fvck off, I'm not spending my evenings ringing up people haggling. Put your prices online for gods sake. 21st Century after all. :mad:

The places you find then by googling areas all look fantastic but the prices are certainly matching. THERE IS NO MIDDLE GROUND!!! :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,287 ✭✭✭source

Beer Baron wrote: »
    I swear to god that finding a staycation is a million times worse than trying to find a holiday abroad. The websites are awful, especially the discoverireland.ie because its starts so well and basically is a home for a whole host of owners bad websites or non existent websites.

"Call me for prices" Fvck off, I'm not spending my evenings ringing up people haggling. Put your prices online for gods sake. 21st Century after all. :mad:

The places you find then by googling areas all look fantastic but the prices are certainly matching. THERE IS NO MIDDLE GROUND!!! :mad:

You're not wrong, it's been the same for years, I was doing business and tourism in Tralee back in 2002, we had a gropu assignment to price and compare 2 holidays, 1 in Greece and the other in Ireland.

The Irish holiday was €200-€500 more expensive with every group. That was even including flights in the Greece holiday.

The price of accomodation, of transport, of attractions and eating out in this country is a complete joke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,339 ✭✭✭✭phog

source wrote: »
    You're not wrong, it's been the same for years, I was doing business and tourism in Tralee back in 2002, we had a gropu assignment to price and compare 2 holidays, 1 in Greece and the other in Ireland.

The Irish holiday was €200-€500 more expensive with every group. That was even including flights in the Greece holiday.

The price of accomodation, of transport, of attractions and eating out in this country is a complete joke.

Did ye compare wage and operating costs when doing the assignment?

phog wrote: »

Did ye compare wage and operating costs when doing the assignment?

It was to do with value for money for the consumer, so no.

It doesn't matter what way you spin it, staying at home to holiday shouldn't cost more than going abroad.

It doesn't matter what way you spin it, staying at home to holiday shouldn't cost more than going abroad.

I'm not spinning anything but to make a profit a company has to bring in more than it spends so wages and other running costs need to be taken into account and obviously a company that starts with a lower cost base can charge less and still make profit.

As for holidaying at home v abroad, I'm sure there are other countries that would be seen as being more expensive to holiday.

Very true. I got an e-mail back this morning for a guy looking for €750 for a 1 bed cottage. Sounds picturesque although said cottage is hanging off 7 others and that is only for 5 nights. :eek: Electricity is extra and will be read on arrival and departure. His e-mail very quickly arrived in the deleted section of my e-mail.

You could get a suite in a hotel for less than what these people are looking for which would also probably include breakfast. I despair I really do. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

We tried to go on holidays in Ireland last year, spent a week ringing Hotels and looking at self catering cottages, the above comment re. those websites is being kind - they're cruel, much worse than water torture.

Prices were astronomical - who's going to pay a grand to live in somebodies bleak 'investment' holiday home for a week and then be handed an ESB bill on the way out the door?

Or the Hotels with nothing to offer families, was one in particular with a pool - the pool that was 3 miles away and you got a voucher for €5 off per visit from the hotel.

Ended up on a package holiday in the sun for far less than a rainy sentence in Waterford getting rained on every day and having cunning hotel, business, resturant, leisure centre owners etc. take us for every cent they could mug us for.

Lesson learnt.

I'm not spinning anything but to make a profit a company has to bring in more than it spends so wages and other running costs need to be taken into account and obviously a company that starts with a lower cost base can charge less and still make profit.

As for holidaying at home v abroad, I'm sure there are other countries that would be seen as being more expensive to holiday.

I'm aware of that, but should I have to take local business and wage costs into consideration when booking a holiday?

The answer is no, I shouldn't. In the Value for money stakes, Ireland nearly always comes out on bottom.

Sure as you say some places could be more expensive, for example Australia, but that is due to the flights alone, if you could get there without paying for the flights, it would work out better value than Ireland. for everything, car rental, eating out, activities, and accomodation you pay far less abroad than you do here.

• Advertisement

I'm aware of that, but should I have to take local business and wage costs into consideration when booking a holiday?

The answer is no, I shouldn't. In the Value for money stakes, Ireland nearly always comes out on bottom.

Sure as you say some places could be more expensive, for example Australia, but that is due to the flights alone, if you could get there without paying for the flights, it would work out better value than Ireland. for everything, car rental, eating out, activities, and accomodation you pay far less abroad than you do here.

But if the minimum wage is higher in one country than another then surely costs will be higher.

Why pick Australia, I've been on holidays in Europe and prices haven't been cheap either.

A quick google threw this up
    Greece €4.27 per hour (14th Highest)
    Ireland €8.65 per hour (5th highest in Europe)

A quick google threw this up
    Greece €4.27 per hour (14th Highest)
    Ireland €8.65 per hour (5th highest in Europe)

You're still missing the point, a 1 bed holiday cottage costs more than a hotel for 5 nights, and then the cost of electricity is added on at the end of the week.

That has nothing to do with labour costs! And it's the same across the sector.

Also as consumers, we don't care about the labour and commercial costs, all we care about is the bottom line, and that is more often or not, lower when going abroad than it is here in Ireland. Do I care that the workers in Greece, France, Italy etc etc get paid less than those in Ireland??? Do I hell, all I care about when shopping for a holiday is how heavily is my pocket going to be hit, and as everyone else is saying here, it is cheaper to go abroad.

I'm not denying that going abroad can be more expensive, (I chose Australia, because I've experience of it.) but the majority of the time, you'll get better value, weather and amenities when you go abroad.

You're still missing the point, a 1 bed holiday cottage costs more than a hotel for 5 nights, and then the cost of electricity is added on at the end of the week.

That has nothing to do with labour costs! And it's the same across the sector.

Also as consumers, we don't care about the labour and commercial costs, all we care about is the bottom line, and that is more often or not, lower when going abroad than it is here in Ireland. Do I care that the workers in Greece, France, Italy etc etc get paid less than those in Ireland??? Do I hell, all I care about when shopping for a holiday is how heavily is my pocket going to be hit, and as everyone else is saying here, it is cheaper to go abroad.

I'm not denying that going abroad can be more expensive, (I chose Australia, because I've experience of it.) but the majority of the time, you'll get better value, weather and amenities when you go abroad.

Missing the point: The point is for Ireland to be competitive we need to lower our cost base and that means reducing wages for everyone, that will put us on par with other european countries and more attractive to tourists.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,857 ✭✭✭langdang

Ye're both right. It's Friday, it's sunny - chillax!

Missing the point: The point is for Ireland to be competitive we need to lower our cost base and that means reducing wages for everyone, that will put us on par with other european countries and more attractive to tourists.

What about a Self Catering Cottage whom:

Charges for cleaning the place if you don't leave it clean.
    Charges you for electricity by reading the meter on arrival and departure.
    Charges you for linen.
    Charges you for pets.

Still manages to be nearly double what a foreign holiday would be.

They are out there. I have bumped into loads of them on my searches. This is the place I have settled on.

http://www.cottagesforcouples.ie/

There are hardly any out there competing at these folks level. Many say "All mod cons" and "recently refurbished to a high standard". These folks must has time machines because the places look crap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,857 ✭✭✭langdang

deleted..

- purely messing cos it's the random wafle thread and it's friday...

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Had to be done...

The Cure.

Meh.

I'm online so that means

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭The Snipe

I'm on my phone which means... I can't view videos! :D

• Advertisement

We are rocking out to YMCA.

This discussion has been closed.