Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A random waffle thread?

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Bit of a long shot.

Has anybody heard anything about a showing of WWE Summerslam in Limerick this weekend?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭riverrocked

Lack of advertising of Limerick events, this is a common complaint from my friends. We know there are great things going on in Limerick but we usually end up just happening upon them when we are in the city. The tourist office isn't much help (when it is open). I was at a play the other day and a stranger asked how I found out about it as she found the same thing as me. I have a friend up from Cork and they have heard nothing about the Giants coming in a few weeks.
    Why can't the City of Culture put an information kiosk somewhere with up to date information of what's on (their website is appalling)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 770 ✭✭✭ComputerKing

Lack of advertising of Limerick events, this is a common complaint from my friends. We know there are great things going on in Limerick but we usually end up just happening upon them when we are in the city. The tourist office isn't much help (when it is open). I was at a play the other day and a stranger asked how I found out about it as she found the same thing as me. I have a friend up from Cork and they have heard nothing about the Giants coming in a few weeks.
    Why can't the City of Culture put an information kiosk somewhere with up to date information of what's on (their website is appalling)

Ya I agree that their isn't enough coverage of some events in Limerick but of the Giants there has been. I've heard ads on RTE radio and there has been coverage in the art sections of both local and national papers. There is also a Limerick city of culture guides which you can get in a number of places.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,338 ✭✭✭✭phog

Follow them on Twitter - great source of info.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

anyone going to see the giant granny?? will it be chock a block?

• Advertisement

fryup wrote: »
    anyone going to see the giant granny?? will it be chock a block?

Its on for three days so I'd say it won't be too hectic. I expect town to be busy on Friday with the Munster match on too though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭Iranoutofideas

According to the Leader they are expecting 200000 to 500000 people to visit Limerick to see this.

Really?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,762 ✭✭✭DaveNoCheese

They have half the city centre streets closed for most of the day, town is gonna be a nightmare!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

According to the Leader they are expecting 200000 to 500000 people to visit Limerick to see this.

Really?

I don't see the attraction of it. Sure it will be nice to see but I can't imagine anyone travelling from outside of Limerick to see it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 770 ✭✭✭ComputerKing

Itsdacraic wrote: »
    I don't see the attraction of it. Sure it will be nice to see but I can't imagine anyone travelling from outside of Limerick to see it.

I know a few people who considered coming but they decided against it as its at a bad time as it's the first weekend after the kids went back to school. So I don't see why it wasn't planned for a better time like the midterm or else they should have had it on during the summer.

• Advertisement

Nasty incident on Michael Street. Hope the injured lad recovers quickly.

http://www.live95fm.ie/news/two-men-still-be-questioned-following-serious-attack/19809

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

What on earth is going on with the lack of promotion of events in Limerick? I picked up a booklet in Arthurs Quay after coming out of Tesco, about a whole weekend of culture, Elemental it's called and there seems to be lots of events for the whole family. It's on this weekend and that was the first I'd heard of it. It's fantastic to see so many events being organised in Limerick city, but of fcuk all use if people don't know the events are happening. Seriously, someone needs to sack whoever it is who is responsible for publicising these events.:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭steveon

What on earth is going on with the lack of promotion of events in Limerick? I picked up a booklet in Arthurs Quay after coming out of Tesco, about a whole weekend of culture, Elemental it's called and there seems to be lots of events for the whole family. It's on this weekend and that was the first I'd heard of it. It's fantastic to see so many events being organised in Limerick city, but of fcuk all use if people don't know the events are happening. Seriously, someone needs to sack whoever it is who is responsible for publicising these events.:mad:

Nite of culture isnt until next weekend the 19th but I totally agree with the useless advertisements in this city n upon asking on numerous times they have given me petty excuses everytime such as waiting for good weather before they advertise on social media they dont even advertise events in the peoples park on the notice boards in the park..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,515 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

Pick up the City of Culture booklet, it is all in there. The website ain't great, but follow them on twitter of facebook, it is not that hard, they are all over social media.

For what it is worth, the events I am going to are all very well attended. I don't know what more they can do to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

Billboards at every major junction leaving and entering the general city area, with the program of events for the next 6 weeks.

A dedicated quarter or half page near the front of the local free papers with times and dates and urls to find out more. Always in the same part of the paper so you don't have to wade through pages of other ads. Pick up the paper flick,flick grand job, I'll make a note to make time to check out that event in two weeks time...

Not even as a city of culture thing, every major event. F**k the begrudgery ("couldn't be giving so-and-so free advertising..."), the city council, business association or whatever should be making the most out of every opportunity to draw people in.

How many people know about the 7km obstacle race in the city Sunday?

They don't need to win over the people who are around the city the whole time, the ones who pick up leaflets and see small posters. They need to draw in the people who rarely venture into town...

steveon wrote: »
    Nite of culture isnt until next weekend the 19th but I totally agree with the useless advertisements in this city n upon asking on numerous times they have given me petty excuses everytime such as waiting for good weather before they advertise on social media they dont even advertise events in the peoples park on the notice boards in the park..

It's the 12th to the 14th.

Billboards at every major junction leaving and entering the general city area, with the program of events for the next 6 weeks.

A dedicated quarter or half page near the front of the local free papers with times and dates and urls to find out more. Always in the same part of the paper so you don't have to wade through pages of other ads. Pick up the paper flick,flick grand job, I'll make a note to make time to check out that event in two weeks time...

Not even as a city of culture thing, every major event. F**k the begrudgery ("couldn't be giving so-and-so free advertising..."), the city council, business association or whatever should be making the most out of every opportunity to draw people in.

How many people know about the 7km obstacle race in the city Sunday?

They don't need to win over the people who are around the city the whole time, the ones who pick up leaflets and see small posters. They need to draw in the people who rarely venture into town...

I picked up a booklet in Arthurs Quay. Perhaps if they let people outside of Limerick, know that these events were taking place, they might be better attended. There was no indication whatsoever in Limerick this morning, other than the temporary desk in Arthurs Quay, that anything was taking place this weekend. I don't live in Limerick and I haven't seen anything at all about an Arts and Culture event.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Some psycho one in Nancy Blakes on Wednesday night decided to pour the drink out of my glass as she said I spilled her drink an hour or so earlier when she bumped against the back of me when walking by.

She said she was waiting the whole time to get me back :eek:

The doorman was even looking bemused when I walked off.

I picked up a booklet in Arthurs Quay. Perhaps if they let people outside of Limerick, know that these events were taking place, they might be better attended. There was no indication whatsoever in Limerick this morning, other than the temporary desk in Arthurs Quay, that anything was taking place this weekend. I don't live in Limerick and I haven't seen anything at all about an Arts and Culture event.

http://www.limerick.ie/culture-night

Great help - it says "page not found" :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,338 ✭✭✭✭phog

Follow @Limerick2014 and @PeopleofLIMK on Twitter, I doubt much will happen in or around Limerick that they don't promote.

As an aside, the Roches Street Festival in currently running from last Monday until next weekend, tomorrow they will host a street party from 12. More on their Twitter & Facebook accounts

• Advertisement
  • Boards.ie Employee Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Niamh
    Boards.ie Community Manager

http://www.limerick.ie/culture-night

Great help - it says "page not found" :rolleyes:
    Is this what you were looking for? http://www.culturenight.ie/tax_regional_events/limerick/

(Just popped in to see if anyone was talking about Culture Night - I nearly forgot ye are having a whole year of culture anyway in Limerick!)

Oh my god! A Boards.ie employee in our thread!!! Run!

*Says hello nervously* :P

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Niamh
    Boards.ie Community Manager

Hardehar, don't worry, I am gone again :D

/exits stage left

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭The Snipe

Hardehar, don't worry, I am gone again :D

/exits stage left

No come back! Don't let him scare you, he only bites on the weekends!

The Snipe wrote: »
    No come back! Don't let him scare you, he only bites on the weekends!

And when I'm tired, hungry and bored

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

Kess,
    Any falcons out toward raheen direction, not a bird expert but spotted what looked very like a peregrine falcon having a bit of pigeon today.

A bit of of research suggests it may have been a sparrow hawk. I thought they were smaller.

• Moderators Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭Wise Old Elf

Spotted the google street view car around O'Connell Avenue a couple of weeks ago, so I had a look online to see if it had been updated (it doesn't appear to be).
    I'm in an image that they captured back in 2009 on Mulgrave Street. I'm not appearing on street view anymore, but the image is still old; the link from Cathedral Place to Sexton Street isn't there. Thought that was kind of strange!

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭Pandiani

Spotted the google street view car around O'Connell Avenue a couple of weeks ago, so I had a look online to see if it had been updated (it doesn't appear to be).

Saw it on William St, looking forward to seeing if I can spot myself when they update it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭The Snipe

Anyone know where I can get 2.5" to a 3.5" mounting bay for a hard drive? And some chassis fans! In town though walking to Childers road is horrible :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭Pandiani

There is a ferris wheel in Arthurs Quay park today, any info on a funfair there?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement