Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A random waffle thread?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭The Snipe

Curious, is there any shop or individual who roots/jailbreaks phones?

What phone? I should be able to do it for you depending.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Has anyone here eaten in WokMania in Arthur's Quay? Awesome grub for a fiver!

Would there be good vegetarian options?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 797 ✭✭✭FobleAsNuck

anyone know if that crowdfunded a while back coffee shop is still around?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

The Stormy Teacup? Tis indeed.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

They just announced on Facebook that they'll be shutting down in a couple of weeks. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

An File wrote: »
    They just announced on Facebook that they'll be shutting down in a couple of weeks. :(

Literally just saw that. Facks sake. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Red King

Between that and cellar door it seems clear now that "artsy" cafes are not viable in Limerick. As per the Stormy Teacup's Facebook post - they just didn't get enough support to stay open.

It is a damn shame.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

^^^^^^^^^^^^

there too hidden away people don't know about them (i think)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭diusmr8a504cvk

YFlyer wrote: »
    Would there be good vegetarian options?
    Sorry for the delay, I don't think so but I could be wrong. I'm not living in the City either so I couldn't check.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭diusmr8a504cvk

Got an IPhone screen fixed in the Cresent branch of the lads in Arthur's Quay. The phone was in a bad way and it only took an hour to have it back to brand new condition.
    How much was it? Sister just cracked her iPhone 4s screen. I realise this is asked sooo many times but I'd appreciate it.

Edit: Found out, €45.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Red King

fryup wrote: »
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^

there too hidden away people don't know about them (i think)

Not so sure about that.

Cellar Door moved to Cobblestone Joe's and still it shut.

The Stormy Teacup has over 4000 likes on Facebook, Cellar Door has over 3000. People know about them.

I think their problem is that they didn't appeal to anyone (or at least enough people) outside of the alternative artsy scene.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

why oh why....does the link road between shannon bridge and caherdavin have such a low speed limit 50kph ??

are they trying to p!ss off people so that they'll use the toll road instead??

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭gotasmoke

philstar wrote: »
    why oh why....does the link road between shannon bridge and caherdavin have such a low speed limit 50kph ??

That road has several pedestrian crossings and has seen multiple deaths in the last few years. I think the speed limit is justified.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭Redderneck

May be wrong but it also runs alongside/through a protected habitat for waterfowl/other feathered friends, so I wouldn't be surprised if there wasn't some obligation to minimise noise pollution/emmissions or somesuch in play - which would be fair enough I think.

Nothing to do with tollroad promotion. It was like that before the tunnel was built.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭black & white

2 cycle lanes, several pedestrian crossings and a bus lane, all added up to increase risk of death or injury.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

2 cycle lanes, several pedestrian crossings and a bus lane, all added up to increase risk of death or injury.

Isn't there only the one crossing (westfields) except for the entry to roundabouts?
    I understand it to a point but it can be frustrating when you need to get somewhere, I travel it quite a bit and I find it only encourages the more impatient drivers to overtake.
    I'd be interested to know what speed most driver here travel the Shannonbridge to Clonmacken stretch (speed van on the next stretch complicates it) when the road is clear, I usually go a bit over, probably about 70kph on average:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

The crossing is signalled and some national routes have cycle lanes. 60kmh would be much more suitable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,337 ✭✭✭✭phog

Isn't there only the one crossing (westfields) except for the entry to roundabouts?
    I understand it to a point but it can be frustrating when you need to get somewhere, I travel it quite a bit and I find it only encourages the more impatient drivers to overtake.
    I'd be interested to know what speed most driver here travel the Shannonbridge to Clonmacken stretch (speed van on the next stretch complicates it) when the road is clear, I usually go a bit over, probably about 70kph on average:o

Excluding the crossing at the traffic lights for Shelbourne Rd there are two sets of pedestrian lights, one at Westfields and another at Barrington's Pier
    Berty wrote: »
    The crossing is signalled and some national routes have cycle lanes. 60kmh would be much more suitable.

Driving at 50 can seem very slow but for such a short distance what is the actual time difference between sticking to the 50 or if you drove it at 60?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

What I find funny is watching people driving at 60/65/70 km/h on the way out the road who slow down below 50 at the flashing speed sign, only to speed up again towards the Clonmacken roundabout!

It's as if they think the sign is taking pictures too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

80 if the road is clear. 50 is ridiculous for that stretch of road.

• Advertisement

Mc Love wrote: »
    80 if the road is clear. 50 is ridiculous for that stretch of road.

If I remember correctly, it used to be a 50 mile per hour limit there when I was a kid. That would be very close your suggestion of 80km/h in new money.

I think the use of the cycle lanes for commuting needs to be pushed more for people to see them as worthwhile. I mostly see sports/training people on that road, and not many cycling to work/shops/town. People won't stick to the speed limit driving if they don't see the bus and cycle lanes in regular use.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

An File wrote: »
    If I remember correctly, it used to be a 50 mile per hour limit there when I was a kid. That would be very close your suggestion of 80km/h in new money.

I think the use of the cycle lanes for commuting needs to be pushed more for people to see them as worthwhile. I mostly see sports/training people on that road, and not many cycling to work/shops/town. People won't stick to the speed limit driving if they don't see the bus and cycle lanes in regular use.

It isn't really a useful cycle lane for commuters seeing as there aren't a whole lot of houses out that way. As far as I recall it only got built because the money that was allocated for a bus lane on the Ennis Road got reallocated because the residents there kicked up a fuss as they didn't want to lose on street parking.

I think the speed limit should remain at 50kph anyway. The area is a leisure amenity, and you don't want cars whizzing through at high speed. It would ruin it for everybody for the sake of 30 seconds time saving for motorists.

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭Sinead Mc1

Horrific accident today. Just doing an honest days work. Poor souls. Heart goes out to the families. http://www.limerickpost.ie/2015/08/29/major-accident-halts-work-on-limericks-thomond-bridge/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

phog wrote: »
    Driving at 50 can seem very slow but for such a short distance what is the actual time difference between sticking to the 50 or if you drove it at 60?

but its not a short distance, takes the best part of 10 mins driving that stretch of road and its a pain in the ass having to stick to 50kph

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭Tefral

but its not a short distance, takes the best part of 10 mins driving that stretch of road and its a pain in the ass having to stick to 50kph

The single and only reason that road is a 50km/hr stretch is that over the years there has been a large number of deaths on it.

We did a review on it on my 4th year in college, i think it was something like 10 deaths and several serious injuries to pedestrians.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭Jofspring

I hate the speed limit on that road but we all know that when its 50kmph, most people hit between 65kmph-70kmph. If it was upped to 70kmph or 80kmph you would still have people breaking the limit and doing 90kmph-100kmph.

Whatever the arguments about the speed limit on the Condell Rd I doubt many suggest the speed limit over the bridge to the lights should be increased to 60kph. Are You?

The speed limit after the roundabout for the tunnel is already 60kph.

It's less than 2km from the traffic lights at Shelbourne Rd to the roundabout for the toll booth. How does that take you 10 mins driving at 50km an hour?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭Jofspring

I'm not doing the maths but it's about a 2-3 minute drive at the most. People can run 2km in less than 10 minutes. It just feels slow. The Ennis road is the same speed limit but it doesn't feel like you are going as slow.

Jofspring wrote: »
    I'm not doing the maths but it's about a 2-3 minute drive at the most. People can run 2km in less than 10 minutes. It just feels slow. The Ennis road is the same speed limit but it doesn't feel like you are going as slow.

That's what I would think too, so by increasing it to 60 a driver can carve a few seconds off their trip.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement