Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A random waffle thread?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

Saying a woman is hysterical or is throwing a strop isn't really sexism. I'd regularly use both to describe the behaviour of male friends!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Straight Edge Punk

zulutango wrote: »
    Saying a woman is hysterical or is throwing a strop isn't really sexism. I'd regularly use both to describe the behaviour of male friends!

Exactly, it was pathetic that myself and another poster were called up for sexism for saying burrito lady got hysterical and threw a strop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

I highly doubt those words would have been used if it was a male business owner. There is reams of evidence to show that these types of words are used regularly against women to put them down. Men are very infrequently described in such a way.

There was also a good bit of sexism on the Syrian thread yesterday. Syrian men were made out to be misogynistic monsters and syrian women were being welcomed if they were hot and would breed with the locals. Charming stuff all round.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,211 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

panda100 wrote: »
    I highly doubt those words would have been used if it was a male business owner. There is reams of evidence to show that these types of words are used regularly against women to put them down. Men are very infrequently described in such a way.

There was also a good bit of sexism on the Syrian thread yesterday. Syrian men were made out to be misogynistic monsters and syrian women were being welcomed if they were hot and would breed with the locals. Charming stuff all round.

But men don't throw strops!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭dashoonage

Does anyone know if there is a shop in limerick doing bespoke shirts ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

dashoonage wrote: »

Takeaway Tees in the Parkway for one-offs. They might do a deal for multiple though, not sure.
    https://www.facebook.com/Takeaway-T-shirts-and-Gifts-264568873752644/

If you're looking to order in bulk, there's this place on the dock road
    http://www.textileprint.ie/

And again in bulk, these lads would be my recommendation, though they're based in Galway. Minimum order of 25.
    http://killertees.ie/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Bored_lad

I think the op is looking for bespoke shirts rather than t-shirts. To answer youe question though as far as I'm aware there isn't anyone offering bespoke shirts in Limerick. Unless there's a tailor in town doing it that I haven't heard about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

Bored_lad wrote: »
    I think the op is looking for bespoke shirts rather than t-shirts. To answer youe question though as far as I'm aware there isn't anyone offering bespoke shirts in Limerick. Unless there's a tailor in town doing it that I haven't heard about.

Textile print do shirts, takeaway probably do too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

Perhaps some bespoke shoes to go with the bespoke shirt?

73319_54_news_hub_66897_588x448.jpg

Roast, I'm with bored_lad here - pretty sure dashoonage is talking Charvet rather than "Mike's Stag".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭dashoonage

The lads are right. Looking to get some shirts that actually fit me for a change, not t-shirts.

Cheers for the replies..ill look outside Limerick...

Now....is there anywhere I can get a bespoke burrito ?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Gimme 48 hours notice and I'll rustle up some slow-cooked awesomeness. I even do home-made guacamole. :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

dashoonage wrote: »
    The lads are right. Looking to get some shirts that actually fit me for a change, not t-shirts.

Cheers for the replies..ill look outside Limerick...

Now....is there anywhere I can get a bespoke burrito ?

Tony Connolly do tight fitting shirts by Remus Uomo - worth taking a look.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭TonyCliftonEsq

That Syrian refugee thread was one of the worst threads I've ever read on boards. The ignorance and racism was more than I ever expected, I feel sorry for the Syrians that are coming here if that is any indicator of what they will have to put up with.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

That Syrian refugee thread was one of the worst threads I've ever read on boards. The ignorance and racism was more than I ever expected, I feel sorry for the Syrians that are coming here if that is any indicator of what they will have to put up with.

One of the most vocal posters in that thread is a troll with a brutal record across Boards who had never posted in this forum before that thread. It's hard to take the whole thing too seriously if you look at the character of the worst posters in it. Some were only posting racist stuff here because they've been banned for it in After Hours and the Politics Café.

An File wrote: »
    One of the most vocal posters in that thread is a troll with a brutal record across Boards who had never posted in this forum before that thread. It's hard to take the whole thing too seriously if you look at the character of the worst posters in it. Some were only posting racist stuff here because they've been banned for it in After Hours and the Politics Café.

ah that makes sense.

In a general sense though the hysteria surrounding them on social media from all parts of the country is worrying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

I think it was the first time I saw a Limerick forum thread trending on the main site.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭DeadHand

Hey!

Would you be kind enough to either confirm you aren't talking about me or, if you are, reproduce a single post I made in that thread that was "racist stuff" or, indeed, makes any mention of race.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

Berty wrote:
    Am I the only one who is shocked by the casual racism on the Limerick Forum this week and NOT confined to just ONE thread either?

My thread that got shut down? Absolutely nothing racist from my side. Just expressing legitimate concerns. The post about Irish DNA needing to be improved, now that was shocking.

Judging by the ill-informed swill posted in that thread then they probably had a point.

When was the last time you saw a woman referred to as an "oaf"?

Hysteria was originally defined as a neurotic condition peculiar to women and caused by the uterus according to dictionary.com

• Advertisement

dashoonage wrote:

There's a hijab shop on Henry street.

Judging by the ill-informed swill posted in that thread then they probably had a point.

Welcome to the cabaret Tony! Getting the boot in nice and quick for a single digit poster aren't ya? I find your implied "group X are genetically inferior" very offensive and politically incorrect by the way.

Welcome to the cabaret Tony! Getting the boot in nice and quick for a single digit poster aren't ya?

I'm just living up to my name :D

My thread that got shut down? Absolutely nothing racist from my side. Just expressing legitimate concerns. The post about Irish DNA needing to be improved, now that was shocking.

That guy made a fair point, in fairness :D

That guy made a fair point, in fairness :D

If we're gonna be all PC about things then I don't think implying a group of people are genetically inferior is allowed.

If we're gonna be all PC about things then I don't think implying a group of people are genetically inferior is allowed.

I think he was implying that new DNA introduced to a largely closed or limited genepool has been proven to be an evolutionary good thing.

Or he was just making a sly dig at the knuckledraggers posting their xenophobic islamophobic and generally ill-informed gibberish in that thread.

Either way he was right.

I think he was implying that new DNA introduced to a largely closed or limited genepool has been proven to be an evolutionary good thing.

Or he was just making a sly dig at the knuckledraggers posting their xenophobic islamophobic and generally ill-informed gibberish in that thread.

Either way he was right.

So sly digs at the genetic worth of the Irish is acceptable? Verrrrry shakey ground to be preaching PC from!

So sly digs at the genetic worth of the Irish is acceptable? Verrrrry shakey ground to be preaching PC from!

It was a wind up. Racist people like to believe they're genetically superior. The suggestion that they're not sends their little heads into a spin.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭DeadHand

It was a wind up. Racist people like to believe they're genetically superior. The suggestion that they're not sends their little heads into a spin.

So, the way to do this is belittle Irish people as being genetically inferior?

I didn't read a single argument in that thread based on race, let alone anything that could reasonably be described as racism.

You're perfectly comfortable with imaginary racism being combatted with genuine racism?

• Advertisement

It was a wind up.
    Well if it's okay it's okay. I'll keep it in mind. It just seems very racist to infer that a group is genetically inferior because they dont look think or act they same as you. I can never be sure with this PC stuff. Some of it seems so contradictory. Must be my inferior genetics wha wha wha wha.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement