Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A random waffle thread?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

They should have left a traffic light controlled junction there like before. That bloody roundabout is a disaster.

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

h3000 wrote: »
    They should have left a traffic light controlled junction there like before. That bloody roundabout is a disaster.

Think there's a plan to change it back to traffic lights.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,933 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

osarusan wrote: »
    Drivers who knowingly use the wrong lane p!ss me off.

Going towards the Parkway roundabout from UL direction, people will use the lane that's clearly marked Parkway only, and will then go past the Parkway exit to use the exit heading towards town.

They really need to do something with this roundabout. It's nearly impossible to get out of the parkway with Díck heads blocking up the whole roundabout and then looking at you stupid when you're píssed off because of their stupidity.

Or on the Childers road, drivers will use the left lane (only for left turns onto Bloodmill road) and will then just go straight at that junction, staying in that lane for going into the shopping centre.

They really need to change this and make the left lane open for people who do want to go straight ahead especially around Christmas time when traffic can be backed up from roundabout to roundabout because of the whole one way in and one way out system for Childers Road.

One thing that does píss me off is the lights by St Patricks girls school when drivers get to lights and instead of indicating back well before lights when the lane breaks into two they wait until they are nearly stopped at the junction to then throw on the indicator.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Drivers who knowingly use the wrong lane p!ss me off.

Going towards the Parkway roundabout from UL direction, people will use the lane that's clearly marked Parkway only, and will then go past the Parkway exit to use the exit heading towards town.

Or on the Childers road, drivers will use the left lane (only for left turns onto Bloodmill road) and will then just go straight at that junction, staying in that lane for going into the shopping centre.

W@nkers.
    The same on the Shannon bridge roundabout heading for the dock rd, the left lane is for left turns only up mount kenneth, but some mugs drive straight on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,337 ✭✭✭✭phog

Mc Love wrote: »
    The same on the Shannon bridge roundabout heading for the dock rd, the left lane is for left turns only up mount kenneth, but some mugs drive straight on.

They're usually the same mug that used the left lane to come in the Condell Road then drive around the roundabout and use the left lane then to head out the dock road.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 354 ✭✭apc

Are you talking about Lower Mallow Street or Mount Kenneth off the Dock Road, if its Mount Kenneth then surely they can use the left lane on the Dock Road to go as far as O'Curry Street

apc wrote: »
    Are you talking about Lower Mallow Street or Mount Kenneth off the Dock Road, if its Mount Kenneth then surely they can use the left lane on the Dock Road to go as far as O'Curry Street

Not a hundred per cent sure but you gotta stay in the right lane until you pass that opening and then switch into the left lane for O'Curry St.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

zulutango wrote: »
    Think there's a plan to change it back to traffic lights.
    Main issue with the Parkway is that there's 5 arms off the roundabout. Not sure how they would go about converting it to a signalised junction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

marno21 wrote: »
    Main issue with the Parkway is that there's 5 arms off the roundabout. Not sure how they would go about converting it to a signalised junction.

They can trade those lights with the Annacotty industrial estate/moroe/dublin road for the roundabout.

This morning on the Newport road roundabout it was a disaster. The entire roundabout, both lanes, were full at rush hour creating a stalemate. Nobody could join and barely anyone leave.

CPW a bit of land at the junction and put in a roundabout.

Mount Kenneth. There's no arrow for straight on, it's left only before the crosswalk

• Advertisement

Berty wrote: »
    They can trade those lights with the Annacotty industrial estate/moroe/dublin road for the roundabout.

This morning on the Newport road roundabout it was a disaster. The entire roundabout, both lanes, were full at rush hour creating a stalemate. Nobody could join and barely anyone leave.

CPW a bit of land at the junction and put in a roundabout.
    I emailed the council about those lights before and they told me they are smart lights. I called bull on them because they give priority to the cappamore road. They've no plan to change them afaik

I emailed the council about those lights before and they told me they are smart lights. I called bull on them because they give priority to the cappamore road. They've no plan to change them afaik

If a councillor gets elected who lives out that way or they hire a new engineer who lives out that way they'll be changed.

That cappamore road did need a junction of some sort because at rush hour they could never get out but it's to the detriment of the roundabout traffic.

If a councillor gets elected who lives out that way or they hire a new engineer who lives out that way they'll be changed.

That cappamore road did need a junction of some sort because at rush hour they could never get out but it's to the detriment of the roundabout traffic.

They had the space for a roundabout but chose lights to send everyone mad or onto the tunnel.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

They had the space for a roundabout but chose lights to send everyone mad or onto the tunnel.

Lights were cheaper perhaps?

Don't think the lights here have much of an effect on volumes through the tunnel tbh.

Mount Kenneth. There's no arrow for straight on, it's left only before the crosswalk

Ok But in fairness that doesnt make sense either, if you can use the lane to turn at Mount Kenneth then you should be able to use the same lane from the roundabout for O Curry St.

marno21 wrote: »
    Lights were cheaper perhaps?

Don't think the lights here have much of an effect on volumes through the tunnel tbh.

Roundabouts only work when traffic can flow without further obstacles. With high volumes of traffic and traffic lights with 500m of roundabouts thats when roundabouts stop working as the traffic backs up to them, IE Parkway to TK Maxx and St Patricks Rd and the Dock Rd to O Curry St and Courtbrack.

Lights instead of Roundabouts-- Then all lights on a route have to be synchronised otherwise it just slows traffic to a standstill. Limerick still havent managed to master that technique

Ok But in fairness that doesnt make sense either, if you can use the lane to turn at Mount Kenneth then you should be able to use the same lane from the roundabout for O Curry St.

How doesn't it make sense? There's a lane for left turn only with a left arrow. Once past the pedestrian crossing, you can use the left lane for exiting in to the petrol station and o'curry street.

If there was a straight and left arrow in that lane, it would make sense to go straight on in the left lane.

One instance that doesn't make sense is the two lanes into three lanes on Henry Street from the howleys quay to harveys quay

How doesn't it make sense? There's a lane for left turn only with a left arrow. Once past the pedestrian crossing, you can use the left lane for exiting in to the petrol station and o'curry street.

If there was a straight and left arrow in that lane, it would make sense to go straight on in the left lane.

One instance that doesn't make sense is the two lanes into three lanes on Henry Street from the howleys quay to harveys quay

Think what he meant was would have made more sense to have the straight and left arrow instead of just the left arrow.

Howley's Quay to Harvey's Quay is joke, it's like a drag race at times between both lanes to see who gets that middle lane on Harvey's Quay especially when cars parked outside the hotel blocking sticking half ways out onto the road.

You want to see mental drivers. Try Wickham street. Both lanes turn right onto William Street and its funny to watch drivers freak out because some drivers haven't noticed the difference and its been about 1.5 years.

Saw this pic today. Believe it or not the taxi is parked because the van is in the taxi rank.

20160926_121240_zps3qcwrtgc.jpg

• Moderators Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭Wise Old Elf

Standard taxi parking there most days isn't it :D

Something I've spotted recently up around the crescent and St. Joseph church, people parking on double yellows at a corner. It really kills your ability to see traffic, e.g. turning left at hartstonge to head for town, you can't see a thing and end up having to stick your nose out VERY slowly to have any idea of oncoming traffic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,330 ✭✭✭dunworth1

You want to see mental drivers. Try Wickham street. Both lanes turn right onto William Street and its funny to watch drivers freak out because some drivers haven't noticed the difference and its been about 1.5 years.

Saw this pic today. Believe it or not the taxi is parked because the van is in the taxi rank.

taxi drivers! :rolleyes:

they are always doing that ive seen them doing it while the rank is full
    we really need more enforcement around the town

its ridiculous the amount of people who park at the edge of junctions on yellow lines

coming off glentworth st. onto lower glentworth street can be very dodgy
    as some moron has parked blocking the view down o'connell st

dunworth1 wrote: »

its ridiculous the amount of people who park at the edge of junctions on yellow lines

Going by the picture and I know they aren't traffic corp but when the guards are driving past and not doing anything about it then what more can you do.

It's the same on lower Glentworth st, going on to Henry st, with people parking on yellow outside the youth centre, makes it very hard to see oncoming traffic. Those temporary lights and temp lane closure aint helping either though

Going by the picture and I know they aren't traffic corp but when the guards are driving past and not doing anything about it then what more can you do.

I was thinking that but then I noticed there was a green man on so they must have been heading to a call

Mc Love wrote:
    It's the same on lower Glentworth st, going on to Henry st, with people parking on yellow outside the youth centre, makes it very hard to see oncoming traffic. Those temporary lights and temp lane closure aint helping either though

That's true and when people are doing it right outside a garda station you really have to wonder.

I was thinking that but then I noticed there was a green man on so they must have been heading to a call

They had their blue lights on as they went through the junction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

The car turning up William Street isn't heading to a call!

Breaking red lights is almost totally acceptable in Limerick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,337 ✭✭✭✭phog

zulutango wrote: »
    The car turning up William Street isn't heading to a call!

Breaking red lights is almost totally acceptable in Limerick.

It's an Irish thing, pedestrians will cross the street where ever the fell like it, drivers will park where ever they like, cyclists will cycle on pavements or down against the flow of traffic in one way streets.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭gotasmoke

I was driving into town along the Condell Rd yesterday morning around 9am and there was the usual traffic. A car passed on the inside, using the bus lane, and flew passed all the rest of us stuck in traffic.

When I got up by Westfield I couldn't help but smile, a garda motorcycle had the car pulled in. If they were there more often, they'd probably make a fortune.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

gotasmoke wrote: »
    I was driving into town along the Condell Rd yesterday morning around 9am and there was the usual traffic. A car passed on the inside, using the bus lane, and flew passed all the rest of us stuck in traffic.

When I got up by Westfield I couldn't help but smile, a garda motorcycle had the car pulled in. If they were there more often, they'd probably make a fortune.

They (the Gardaí) announced it on Twitter this morning. :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement