Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A random waffle thread?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,287 ✭✭✭source

Library isn't open tomorrow according to link below (tomorrow would be a public holiday in lieu of today being Sunday).

https://www.limerick.ie/council/christmas-opening-hours

Went to the library today to study. I discovered on arrival that they no longer have any study areas. :mad:

They do, they've changed the layout, all the reference section and study desks are on the next floor up from the main library.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,853 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

I never knew they had a second level. I guess I should have asked the girl at the desk. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Walked into town after work yesterday and the place was swamped with bible bashers. I don't mind the Jehovah Witnesses because they just stand there with their magazines and don't try and push their religion on to you. Between O'Mahony's and Bank of Ireland I was approached two times by American religious nut jobs (I presume Mormons?). I saw they were also actively approaching a lot of street beggars as well. They are a scourge on the city at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

panda100 wrote: »
    (I presume Mormons?). I saw they were also actively approaching a lot of street beggars as well. They are a scourge on the city at this stage.

who? the beggars or the mormons?

fryup wrote:
    who? the beggars or the mormons?

The mormons

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,330 ✭✭✭dunworth1

Walked into town after work yesterday and the place was swamped with bible bashers. I don't mind the Jehovah Witnesses because they just stand there with their magazines and don't try and push their religion on to you. Between O'Mahony's and Bank of Ireland I was approached two times by American religious nut jobs (I presume Mormons?). I saw they were also actively approaching a lot of street beggars as well. They are a scourge on the city at this stage.

i had one preaching to me today followed me down from O'Mahonys to supermacs asking me what makes me happy in life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭diusmr8a504cvk

Is there still a sale on in Jack and Jones in the Crescent? When do January sales tend to end actually?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,128 ✭✭✭✭aaronjumper

I had Buddhists or was it Krishnas trying to convert me just before Christmas.
    Talking about Karma and mindfulness. They always catch me out just before Christmas.

Leave me to my debauchery in peace!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 627 ✭✭✭kerryked

Is there still a sale on in Jack and Jones in the Crescent? When do January sales tend to end actually?

I'm guessing these would be the last few days of the "good" sales. After that I presume it would be mostly old stuff they're trying to get rid of.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Townie_P

Is anyone else here experiencing usability issues with boards lately when using Chrome? The legacy site isn't working properly - can't access the last page on certain threads, it just redirects you to the first page of the thread. The new site is poor - can't reply to any post because clicking the reply button does nothing, plus no multi-quote option. I have to use boards now through Firefox. Anyone else experiencing this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 797 ✭✭✭FobleAsNuck

Are you using adblock by any chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Townie_P

Are you using adblock by any chance?
    There was adblock on one of the browsers. I turned it off. Still not working properly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

Townie_P wrote: »
    There was adblock on one of the browsers. I turned it off. Still not working properly.

If in doubt - blame Russian hackers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,481 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Ignore the mormons and if they persist tell them to **** off and keep going only way to deal with them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

There has also been an increase in Jehovah's Witnesses in the Limerick area. More and more you are hearing stories of fellas getting accosted and asked do they want to be a witness.

Call me stupid, but what the f#ck did this Jehovah fella do that he needs to call so many witnesses?

myshirt wrote: »
    There has also been an increase in Jehovah's Witnesses in the Limerick area. More and more you are hearing stories of fellas getting accosted and asked do they want to be a witness.

Call me stupid, but what the f#ck did this Jehovah fella do that he needs to call so many witnesses?

He did naaatin. Thats his story and he's sticking too it. He has witnesses.

• Moderators Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭Wise Old Elf

Another random question for you all, anyone seen Top Trumps in a bricks and mortar shop in or around the city?
    I believe there's a Horrible Histories set, my young lad would love them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭Jofspring

Another random question for you all, anyone seen Top Trumps in a bricks and mortar shop in or around the city?

Saw a decent selection in Smyths Toystore Ennis Road over Christmas. Have seen top trumps in the Arts and Hobbie store the crescent also. Not sure if either will have the horrible histories ones though.

Almost sure I saw Top Trumps in the Arts and Hobby shop on Cruises Street last week.

• Moderators Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭Wise Old Elf

Tks folks, had a quick look in Arts and Hobby before christmas but it was mental busy so didn't ask them. Will try them again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭Butterfly25

They also had a big enough range of them in Game Stop in the Crescent at the weekend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

Will they ever put traffic lights or a roundabout .....or something at the junction on Upper Mallow Street and Pery Street (leading onto Pery Square)? Its like Apocalypse Now there on a daily basis.

Its just so dangerous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

Haha it's a like some kind of Bermuda Triangle where even people who normally follow the rules of the road (pretty much at least) lose all ability to yield to traffic with the right of way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭Jofspring

Parchment wrote: »
    Will they ever put traffic lights or a roundabout .....or something at the junction on Upper Mallow Street and Pery Street (leading onto Pery Square)? Its like Apocalypse Now there on a daily basis.

Its just so dangerous.

Ya it's an awful junction. Mainly because of how busy it gets. Friend of mine knocked off his bike there recently and there have been a lot of crashes there also. Most people will use the rule to let the person there first have right of way if neither has actual right away but you will always have dick that tries and jump the queue or has no idea how to drive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

Jofspring wrote: »
    Ya it's an awful junction. Mainly because of how busy it gets. Friend of mine knocked off his bike there recently and there have been a lot of crashes there also. Most people will use the rule to let the person there first have right of way if neither has actual right away but you will always have dick that tries and jump the queue or has no idea how to drive.

There are really regular crashes there - even a Gardai commented on it to me. Also its a very bus heavy route with the Expressway buses leaving the city.

Also the pedestrian crossing is so busy there because of the park/the playground.

I wonder is it worth contacting the council about it?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

The Glentworth/Catherine St junction is another bad one, I've been travelling from Taits Clock to O'Connell street numerous times and being nearly mowed out of it by drivers not stopping at the junction including one very close miss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

Quite a few of the junctions are free for alls. And most of the traffic is simply through-traffic and really has no business in the area. Sooner of later some of these streets will be closed to through traffic and it'll make this part of the city a lot safer for pedestrians and cyclists.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,337 ✭✭✭✭phog

I was walking in town last night, a guy cycled up O'Callaghan Strand & broke the lights on Sarsfield Bridge to cycle towards the city. Once he got to Sarsfield St, he tried cycling between the traffic that was stopped at the O'Connell Street lights he clipped a car in his right, over compensated on his correction and clipped the car on his left. Lucky for him he didn't fall off the bike. However unlucky for the car owners he continued on his bike through the red lights onto O'Connell Street.

Wouldn't wish him ill but he's due his comeuppance if he continues cycling like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,330 ✭✭✭dunworth1

phog wrote: »
    I was walking in town last night, a guy cycled up O'Callaghan Strand & broke the lights on Sarsfield Bridge to cycle towards the city. Once he got to Sarsfield St, he tried cycling between the traffic that was stopped at the O'Connell Street lights he clipped a car in his right, over compensated on his correction and clipped the car on his left. Lucky for him he didn't fall off the bike. However unlucky for the car owners he continued on his bike through the red lights onto O'Connell Street.

Wouldn't wish him ill but he's due his comeuppance if he continues cycling like that.

and its people like him who give cyclists a bad rep :mad:

• Advertisement

phog wrote:

I would say in his defence though that Limerick is the most uncycle friendly city i have lived in and it is virtually impossible to cycle through. I cycle the same route as this guy frequently and have had several near misses. There are no cycle lanes and motorists/bus drivers have little regard for cyclists.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement