Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A random waffle thread?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

If they’re leaving it two-lane then you can’t expect them to increase the footpath size as it’d only make a narrow road narrower and form another problem.

The point is that it shouldn't be two lanes. Priority is meant to be given to pedestrians and cyclists on all streets under 60kph speed limit by law.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,928 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

zulutango wrote: »
    The point is that it shouldn't be two lanes. Priority is meant to be given to pedestrians and cyclists on all streets under 60kph speed limit by law.

Could a complaint or something be made to someone like the ABP about these plans. Surely if there's a law then there's some crowd complaints can be made too?

Could a complaint or something be made to someone like the ABP about these plans. Surely if there's a law then there's some crowd complaints can be made too?

In this case no, because it's what's known as a Part 8 application (i.e. it's the process when a local authority gives planning consent for itself), so ABP have no role.

The Council could withdraw the tender and re-issue it later with a compliant design. But that will only happen if enough noise is made by public, councillors, etc.

I think a complaint could be made to the National Transport Authority, as they are the ones who are funding the scheme.

If it goes ahead, as designed, then the future of Wickham Street is goosed. It will continue to have vacant and derelict buildings and the businesses that are there will continue to struggle. This is a huge missed opportunity for the street.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

In this case no, because it's what's known as a Part 8 application (i.e. it's the process when a local authority gives planning consent for itself), so ABP have no role.

The Council could withdraw the tender and re-issue it later with a compliant design. But that will only happen if enough noise is made by public, councillors, etc.

I think a complaint could be made to the National Transport Authority, as they are the ones who are funding the scheme.

If it goes ahead, as designed, then the future of Wickham Street is goosed. It will continue to have vacant and derelict buildings and the businesses that are there will continue to struggle. This is a huge missed opportunity for the street.

Elisa O'Donovan will be talking about this on the Limerick Today show on Monday. Brought it to her attention on twitter.

https://twitter.com/elisaodonovan/status/1015186841606205440

• Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Sal Butamol

seachto7 wrote: »
    Finding it hard to get goats milk yoghurt around. Anyone spot it anywhere around Limerick?

Ask in Nature's Hand in the Crescent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭JamesBond2010

Mc Love wrote: »
    Elisa O'Donovan will be talking about this on the Limerick Today show on Monday. Brought it to her attention on twitter.

https://twitter.com/elisaodonovan/status/1015186841606205440
    But then wouldnt the traffic Lights top of william street screw that up all the cars turning right.Then one tool would block it up & the cars wouldnt be able to go straight on then. if some twat parked in yellow box as done before the cars would be going nowhwere.that would cause a backlog then on parnell street & thomas street. So on lane would be a no brainer unless they redesigned the traffic flow. (sorry key board is acting up any missspellings)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭diusmr8a504cvk

As great and all as the haircut you’ll get in the William Street Barber’s is, the service is poor and a bit off-putting

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

As great and all as the haircut you’ll get in the William Street Barber’s is, the service is poor and a bit off-putting

I used to to go New York barbers and found it great but the owner seems to have lost interest. A Polish friend had also stopped going to him and recommended Diamond hairdressers on Parnell St. I find them brilliant and there is no waiting as it is appointment only. €15 a go but they do a loyalty where you get one free every so many.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

But then wouldnt the traffic Lights top of william street screw that up all the cars turning right.Then one tool would block it up & the cars wouldnt be able to go straight on then. if some twat parked in yellow box as done before the cars would be going nowhwere.that would cause a backlog then on parnell street & thomas street. So on lane would be a no brainer unless they redesigned the traffic flow. (sorry key board is acting up any missspellings)

Current width of footpaths on Wickham Street is 1.2m. At an absolute minimum they must be 1.8m and this should be 3-4m in are of high pedestrian activity. If the council keep 2 lanes of traffic on Wickham St and do not extend footpath width they are in breach of regulations

Mc Love wrote: »
    Current width of footpaths on Wickham Street is 1.2m. At an absolute minimum they must be 1.8m and this should be 3-4m in are of high pedestrian activity. If the council keep 2 lanes of traffic on Wickham St and do not extend footpath width they are in breach of regulations

In other words should never have been 2 lane in 1st place. Love to see how they are going work that out with some of the probs there .

• Advertisement

The Council need to go back to the drawing board with it I think.

It's actually a simple solution. Just reduce it to a single shared lane for cars and bikes, install sufficiently wide footpaths for pedestrians and a contra-flow cycle lane for cyclists who wish to go the other direction and all's good.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭mart 23

if Wickham st was to become a single lane ,would traffic still be allowed to cross to High st from Wickham st ?.

I don't see why not.

I don't see why not.

Wouldn't u have the people turning right blocking/holding up then.Certain amount can only turn right before u have to wait for the William streets to change..It is nearly impossible to get out from Thomas st to Wickham st sometimes if u are going to turn right.probs like that would made worse would they if they made it 1 lane

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,853 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Wouldn't u have the people turning right blocking/holding up then.Certain amount can only turn right before u have to wait for the William streets to change..It is nearly impossible to get out from Thomas st to Wickham st sometimes if u are going to turn right.probs like that would made worse would they if they made it 1 lane

Better synched lights at Wickham/William Street could surely prevent this. It would take a few trials and a bit of tweaking.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Vanquished

It's a capacity issue at the end of the day. There is a finite amount of space available in a city centre. The question is do you continue to prioritise motor traffic over the mobility and safety of pedestrians, cyclists and other less damaging forms of transport? We're not even close to striking a balance in Limerick at the moment.

The current plans will just condemn Wickham Street to yet more stagnation and possibly even further regression. I've no idea how any business operates in the current miserable suffocating environment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Vanquished wrote: »
    The current plans will just condemn Wickham Street to yet more stagnation and possibly even further regression. I've no idea how any business operates in the current miserable suffocating environment.

Well Davis Street is booming since its 'upgrade'. Railway Hotel shut down and no new commercial activity on the street. Let's hope the council learn from that disaster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭diusmr8a504cvk

panda100 wrote: »
    Well Davis Street is booming since its 'upgrade'. Railway Hotel shut down and no new commercial activity on the street. Let's hope the council learn from that disaster.
    How long is that hotel closed?

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭mart 23

How long is that hotel closed?

8th june 2016. I dont know if that is before or after the Davis st upgrade began

AFAIK The hotel has been sold to some people from Adare

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭Shpud2

Anyone know where to buy an empty box for shipping in the city?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,853 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Shpud2 wrote: »

Go to a shop and get one for free. Got some from Schuh before.

Go to a shop and get one for free. Got some from Schuh before.

That's a good suggestion but i would prefer a plain cardboard box.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭damowill

woodies and those type places do them. as do Easons in the city. post office themselves might also

damowill wrote: »
    woodies and those type places do them. as do Easons in the city. post office themselves might also

Thanks. Got one in Easons which should do.

Hellooooooo Everyone still alive they are ??:D:D:D Very quiet for the lst wk here so was wondering :P:P:cool:

I am!

I am!
    :D:D:D

Another Spam London Number +442039361290 calling people

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭steveon

Another Spam London Number +442039361290 calling people

Getting calls myself from there for the past two weeks.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement