Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A random waffle thread?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭diusmr8a504cvk

I really dislike going into that Paper View shop in the Crescent. It's the only shop there so my hands are tied but the staff and shop itself are/is poor.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭JamesBond2010

I really dislike going into that Paper View shop in the Crescent. It's the only shop there so my hands are tied but the staff and shop itself are/is poor.

the one with the lotto thats always being like that a bit :mad::mad::mad:...:P:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,287 ✭✭✭source

I was in the crescent on Tuesday and it was closed with all the shelving pulled out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 703 ✭✭✭LeoD

As it was 'car-free' day on Saturday, I decided to treat the 2 kids to a ride on a double-decker into town from Raheen. 1 way for me was €2.30. Not sure if driver charged me for kids even though 1 of them should have been charged €1.30 according to Bus Eireann website. Took the long circuitous route through Churchill Meadows before finally reemerging onto St Nessan's Rd around around 300m from where we started nearly 10 mins later. From there on the journey was grand as traffic was light. Took around 15 mins in total to get into town. Same again on the way home a couple of hours later. As a novelty ride for kids, would highly recommend but I could have driven into town in 5 minutes and parked on the street for 2hrs for €2. And we wonder why we have low bus usage when we actively encourage people to drive their cars into the city and leave them on the side of the street?

462416.jpg

LeoD wrote: »
    As it was 'car-free' day on Saturday, I decided to treat the 2 kids to a ride on a double-decker into town from Raheen. 1 way for me was €2.30. Not sure if driver charged me for kids even though 1 of them should have been charged €1.30 according to Bus Eireann website. Took the long circuitous route through Churchill Meadows before finally reemerging onto St Nessan's Rd around around 300m from where we started nearly 10 mins later. From there on the journey was grand as traffic was light. Took around 15 mins in total to get into town. Same again on the way home a couple of hours later. As a novelty ride for kids, would highly recommend but I could have driven into town in 5 minutes and parked on the street for 2hrs for €2. And we wonder why we have low bus usage when we actively encourage people to drive their cars into the city and leave them on the side of the street?
    u prob got the kids free cause of car free day, it would have cost u a 5e in & out other wise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Worth noting its 1.61 for an adult using the leap card and you have to front up 10 euro at the start, in order to get one.

Mc Love wrote: »
    Worth noting its 1.61 for an adult using the leap card and you have to front up 10 euro at the start, in order to get one.

do they drivers actually know how to use them,cause its like before on the express routes if u booked on-line some of the drivers had no idea how to input them Or give u a ticket then. & send u off to get a ticket then

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭diusmr8a504cvk

source wrote: »
    I was in the crescent on Tuesday and it was closed with all the shelving pulled out.
    Just walked past, doing renovations and I think they're expecting to be open in mid-October.
    Might get some new staff too ðŸ‘

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

do they drivers actually know how to use them,cause its like before on the express routes if u booked on-line some of the drivers had no idea how to input them Or give u a ticket then. & send u off to get a ticket then

I booked online before from Hurlers Cross to Newport and I got on and gave the guy the booking number and he said "It's not working" turns out he was putting in Colbert Station as the starting point. I mentioned it to the missus who would pay cash on board more frequently. Since then she's been paying about €1 less for the journey because he'd been charging a longer journey all the other times. Some chancers. :mad:

Berty wrote: »
    I booked online before from Hurlers Cross to Newport and I got on and gave the guy the booking number and he said "It's not working" turns out he was putting in Colbert Station as the starting point. I mentioned it to the missus who would pay cash on board more frequently. Since then she's been paying about €1 less for the journey because he'd been charging a longer journey all the other times. Some chancers. :mad:
    that was like before was getting the bus from shannon to bunratty the machine wouldnt work anyway & he said how much do u normally pay & only my 1st time using it to bunratty & said dont know never use it. so he had to charge me some other price to get a ticket.

• Advertisement

I first used it yesterday evening, worked fine, driver asked had gotten off another bus, charged me the 1.61, tried it again this morning, and it didnt work despite having credit on it, driver left me on for free. Going to try it again on the way home.

I first used it yesterday evening, worked fine, driver asked had gotten off another bus, charged me the 1.61, tried it again this morning, and it didnt work despite having credit on it, driver left me on for free. Going to try it again on the way home.
    u get one grumpy ****er of a bus driver then & he will ask u to pay. Which will defeat the purpose then.

u get one grumpy ****er of a bus driver then & he will ask u to pay. Which will defeat the purpose then.

No idea why it wouldnt work tbh

No idea why it wouldnt work tbh
    could be their machines or could be they way u are holding the card. just suggestions limerick could be different.

The main reasons for card failure are:
    1. Incorrect positioning of the TFI Leap Card: If the TFI Leap Card is not placed against the ‘target’ on the validator, it will not be read. Ensure that the card is held steadily against the ‘target’ on the validator until it beeps.
    2. Other smart card interference: Remove the TFI Leap Card from your wallet or bag before using it. Other cards you may have in your wallet or bag can cause interference with your TFI Leap Card, which will make it inoperable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 703 ✭✭✭LeoD

u prob got the kids free cause of car free day, it would have cost u a 5e in & out other wise.

I don't think it was that. To me it looked like the driver had a look at us, saw we were novices at this and took pity on us (the kids were 6 & 3). On the way home it got even funnier as the driver got a call on the radio to go straight to Raheen stop and not to go through Churchill Meadows as per the official route. Apparently we were running behind schedule. When we passed the junction with Avanmore Rd, another lad on the bus came up to the driver asking where he was going - it was all a bit haphazard. Great day out for the kids but as a reliable mode of transport? So thumbs up to the 2 drivers we had but thumbs down to the route and pricing.

I don't think it was that. To me it looked like the driver had a look at us, saw we were novices at this and took pity on us (the kids were 6 & 3). On the way home it got even funnier as the driver got a call on the radio to go straight to Raheen stop and not to go through Churchill Meadows as per the official route. Apparently we were running behind schedule. When we passed the junction with Avanmore Rd, another lad on the bus came up to the driver asking where he was going - it was all a bit haphazard. Great day out for the kids but as a reliable mode of transport? So thumbs up to the 2 drivers we had but thumbs down to the route and pricing.

thats what i mean that route raheen/dooradoyle. U have to walk to the bus stop if u have missed it u might have to wait for 1/2hr for another one. then when it comes its not going that way its going the other direction. sometimes better off getting a taxi from ur house less hassle & not waiting 1/2 the nite for the bus.

My bus journey this evening :
    Left work on Henry st at 4:35pm walked down to Debenhams. 4.45pm bus arrives at 4.50pm can't get on, bus full. 5pm bus arrives 5.05pm. 5.30pm bus passes punches. Passing out bus stop at Crescent and Punches as bus is full. 5.40pm an hour after leaving work, bus reaches hospital. No wonder people travel by car. I would have probably been home 30 mins ago. 5.54pm reach destination. What does Limerick need to make this better?
    More buses, probably. Maybe more double decker buses? More bus lanes, specifically on O'Connell st and O'Connell Avenue, definitely.
    Nearly an hour and a half from Limerick city centre to Raheen is just unacceptable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

I've tried many times to use the bus over the car, I really have. My other half and I have a Friday tradition of going to town after work for a coffee, snack and a wander around. If we took the bus we would probably half a glass of wine and a pint. We drive 99% of the time though because waiting for the bus takes so bloody long and on top of that it is almost a tenner return whereas parking will never go over a fiver and we aren't forced to wait up to an hour for a bus. Pointless service if you have a car, the incentive isn't there.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

You would have walked it in 30min nearly I say

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

My bus journey this evening :
    Left work on Henry st at 4:35pm walked down to Debenhams. 4.45pm bus arrives at 4.50pm can't get on, bus full. 5pm bus arrives 5.05pm. 5.30pm bus passes punches. Passing out bus stop at Crescent and Punches as bus is full. 5.40pm an hour after leaving work, bus reaches hospital. No wonder people travel by car. I would have probably been home 30 mins ago. 5.54pm reach destination. What does Limerick need to make this better?
    More buses, probably. Maybe more double decker buses? More bus lanes, specifically on O'Connell st and O'Connell Avenue, definitely.
    Nearly an hour and a half from Limerick city centre to Raheen is just unacceptable.
    There was a student night on in the Crescent tonight which may have explained the heavier loadings.

However, both increased length of bus lanes, and more importantly, bus priority at junctions is a requirement.

The thing about bus prioritisation measures is that they are a collection of minor improvements that can be delivered without major finance or any bonanzas. They just need to be part of an overall strategy which sadly is not there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

bigpink wrote: »
    You would have walked it in 30min nearly I say

Less from where I live.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭MilfordBud

I used the bus for a good while from town out to Castletroy but got a lift home from one of my work colleagues that used to go my way as it was way more efficient. I used to get the bus just after 7am so the traffic was never bad and the buses ran on time. Fast forward to 4pm and it was very rare to get the bus on time. It's definitely an infrastructure problem rather than the drivers. It can take a bus 20+ minutes to get from the Dublin road roundabout through UL in the evenings. Not sure that there's room there for bus lanes though.

I cycle a good bit now and the riverbank path is an absolute delight. My evening time is actually quicker than a car.

Yeah my bike is being serviced so without it for a few days - cant wait to get it back now :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

462416.jpg

This is absolutely shocking. It contravenes every single local, national and international directive and policy that Limerick facilitates driving over all other modes of transport. What a complete and utter waste of money the Limerick Smarter Travel project was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Precious flower

Hi guys,

I just wanted to check to make sure I'm understanding this route right.

The 304A goes from the stables in the University of Limerick and passes by Monaleen School (which is the stop I want to get off at) as I'm looking at a house in Bloomfield but it doesn't work the same way back and the closest to UL it brings you is the Parkway Shopping Centre.

Am I reading this correct?

I thought that all the bus routes in Limerick had the same bus route each way but this doesn't seem to be the case unless I'm mistaken?

Thank you!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

panda100 wrote: »
    This is absolutely shocking. It contravenes every single local, national and international directive and policy that Limerick facilitates driving over all other modes of transport. What a complete and utter waste of money the Limerick Smarter Travel project was.

Yup it's truly nuts. I'd love if the bus service was a real and genuine alternative to driving. My bus service into town is as good as it gets, but I'll generally choose to drive (or walk when my son was still in a buggy) because using the bus is less convenient and more expensive. Worse than that is that in some suburbs there is a lack of something as basic as pavement infrastructure. My son goes to an afterschool activity that's a 10 minute walk away but there is no bloody footpath for parts of that walk. That's a 10 minute walk from an area full of houses containing young children to an area full of activities aimed at young children, and it's not safe to walk along. It's absolutely ludicrous.

And as for cyclists using pavements, I think it's actually really understandable given the complete lack of safe cycle lanes in parts of the city and the lack of linkage between some cycle lanes, Ballysimon Rd, Childers Rd from the Kilmallock Rd to Ballinacura, Dublin Rd between the city and the Parkway, etc. Those roads aren't safe to cycle on, particularly for children. What isn't understandable, and is a much, much bigger issue, is drivers who park their cars on pavements in ways that make them impassable, especially for anyone using a wheelchair, other mobility aids or pushing a buggy. That's a massive problem in a lot of the busier city suburbs, especially in areas near a school, creche or small retail area.

I'd have no problem with children cycling on footpaths, but if you're an adult there's no excuse. Use your common sense

I'd have no problem with children cycling on footpaths, but if you're an adult there's no excuse. Use your common sense

I used to love driving. I really did. The lack of common sense among fellow road users of all types has turned it into a chore. I only drive when I have to these days. Another possibility is that I'm a grumpy old young bollox who is not getting any younger. I took a 2 hour train to Galway over the weekend because the thought of the drive was horrible.

Limerick to Galway...2 hours on a train...would have driven it in less than an hour.

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

Limerick to Galway...2 hours on a train...would have driven it in less than an hour.

I prefer taking the train to Galway instead of driving. At peak times it isn't a whole lot longer than driving and you don't have to worry about or pay for parking, and you can have a few pints!

• Advertisement

zulutango wrote: »
    I prefer taking the train to Galway instead of driving. At peak times it isn't a whole lot longer than driving and you don't have to worry about or pay for parking, and you can have a few pints!

ya your right there, & dont have to put up with twats who cant drive or have no sense of how to drive on motorways.U are also straight into city centre on train.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement