Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bargaining in PC world

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭jpb1974

I work in I.T. and I've used the free version of AVG Antivirus for donkey's years and it works perfectly. Its low on memory usage, there are regular definition updates and it does what it's supposed to do.

Never pay for Antivirus, Firewall or Anti-spyware products... they're all free on the web.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭eightyfish

jpb1974 wrote: »
    I work in I.T. and I've used the free version of AVG Antivirus for donkey's years and it works perfectly. Its low on memory usage, there are regular definition updates and it does what it's supposed to do.

I used AVG until a client's computer got a virus that it missed. I've since moved to the free Microsoft one and, thus far, I've had no problems - but I haven't had any big virus threats to test it. The program itself is so un-intrusive it's basically invisible. Love that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

He then pointed out that Norton was the best anti-virus but when I told him that afaik Kaspersky has got better reviews in general he said well yea Norton is in the top 5 anyway - what a load of bulls*iting...

By the sound of it, YOU are in fact ME!

Or, maybe I got precisely the same salesperson?

But it's like deja vu anyway. Scary.

The program itself is so un-intrusive it's basically invisible. Love that.

Aye... I don't know how many times I've configured new laptops for friends and family and have had to remove that Norton Dog that some firms bundle with their machines in favour of a lighter more efficient product.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,400 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I have to say, I worked in part-time in retail and has absolutely no leighway to negotiate on anything.

Pointless to ask.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,925 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Haggling is a tradition that dates back to the days when women, strong men & goats where used to barter for goods.

Ever bought a car?

Personally I wouldn't haggle for 45 mins for €19... you can usually tell after 30 seconds where things are going.

Often people need to feel their getting a bargain... and there are ways of going about these things that give people the impression they're getting a great deal even if it's a case that there not.

Ya can't beat a bit of dishcount.... a bit o' cash dishcount.

Just last year. It went like this:
    What does it cost, and whats in it for that.
    Best price including trade in.
    Rang 3 other garages, one of whom reduced the price slightly, but was in Dublin
    Went back to the original and got another extra thrown in.
    Deal done.

I find there isn't much point in haggling for anything these days. If they say no, they mean no.

I find there isn't much point in haggling for anything these days. If they say no, they mean no.

I wouldn't agree... just as an example I saved a few hundred off a suite of furniture recently and fifty euro off a marble fireplace... always worth the effort.

Some people just can't hack a bit of wheeling and dealing... it's just not part of their personality.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,925 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

I wouldn't agree... just as an example I saved a few hundred off a suite of furniture recently and fifty euro off a marble fireplace... always worth the effort.

Some people just can't hack a bit of wheeling and dealing... it's just not part of their personality.

I can and I'm pretty good at it. Problem is in rip-off republic times, they were making 50-60% on everything and could haggle. Now they are making closer to 10% they haven't got the wriggle room.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭WopTittyPop

whiterebel wrote: »
    I can and I'm pretty good at it. Problem is in rip-off republic times, they were making 50-60% on everything and could haggle. Now they are making closer to 10% they haven't got the wriggle room.

That's exactly what I would love every customer to have known when I worked in Curry's! Margin is only high on peripherals and accessories!

The only way you'll get a discount is if you buy a package, and not just the single product!

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭WopTittyPop

I work in I.T. and I've used the free version of AVG Antivirus for donkey's years and it works perfectly. .

AVG is fine, if you know what you're doing when you use a computer!
    What you have to bare in mind is more than half the people who buy computers nowadays don't know what they're doing on them! They don't know the difference between a secure and harmful site! That's also why there is a version of AVG that you can pay for!

• Advertisement

Nah... AVG is fine... I've been to hell and back on my PC and have never had an issue.

I fine Spyware more prevalent these days. You need to have a few Spyware checkers as well... Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, Ad-Aware and the likes and run them at least once a week to check for nasties.

Most important thing is to keep your definitions up to date. You should run checks on a daily basis for the lastest defs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,848 ✭✭✭soundsham

+1
    I can often get asked to round down my invoice figure from a quotation I've sent out for a job

generally I'll look at each job separate if it went well and it made a few bob or lead to more work I'll knock a touch off,sometimes I wont or cant if its too close to the bone

so I'll always ask,sometimes more than once

Advertisement