Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Novice, Graphics Card Question

Options
  • 08-07-2010 11:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

My son's computer needs a good graphics card, here is a picture of the inside

Can someone explain what these two little slots are?

dscf2759y.jpg

Does that blue slot PCI EX16 take a graphics card? he said there is already an onboard card but it isn't very good In that white slot on the far left there is a wireless internet card.

Can anyone recommend a good entry level graphics card?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

Yes, the PCIe x16 is for graphics cards.

Check out the Budget Gaming PC sticky thread (the last page) for some recommendations :)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

What kind of games are we talking about here?

What is the maximum resolution of the monitor he's using?

What CPU have you got in there?

And could you tell me how much 12V power is being provided by the power supply? (easiest to post a pic of the big label on the side of it!)

As for entry-level gaming (which is very different from entry-level) I'd suggest a HD5570. Least likely to go wrong or cause problems. But it might not be the best solution so answer the above questions if you can :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 john87

Thanks for all the answers
    Solitaire wrote: »
    What kind of games are we talking about here?

What is the maximum resolution of the monitor he's using?

What CPU have you got in there?

And could you tell me how much 12V power is being provided by the power supply? (easiest to post a pic of the big label on the side of it!)

As for entry-level gaming (which is very different from entry-level) I'd suggest a HD5570. Least likely to go wrong or cause problems. But it might not be the best solution so answer the above questions if you can :)

Hi, he says he is not a hardcore gamer but he says the card in it now is no good. I will look into that card you mention

1600x900 monitor

I'm not sure what label you mean but I'll try give you some details from this scan thing he used

Mesh Home Desktop PC
    2.50 gigahertz AMD Athlon 7550 Dual-Core
    256 kilobyte primary memory cache
    1024 kilobyte secondary memory cache
    8 kilobyte tertiary memory cache
    64-bit ready
    Multi-core (2 total)
    Not hyper-threaded

Board: ASUSTeK Computer INC. M2N68-AM SE2 Rev X.0x
    Bus Clock: 200 megahertz
    BIOS: American Megatrends Inc. 0502 03/28/2009

NVIDIA GeForce 7025 / NVIDIA nForce 630a [Display adapter]

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

I'd say at least a HD5570, maybe a HD5750 if you have the money and he's playing some more demanding titles.

Advertisement