Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Babysiters age?

Options
  • 09-07-2010 12:00am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 21

Hi,

what age babysiter to mind an 8year old? Up until 2-3am
    Is there any laws etc?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,842 ✭✭✭shinikins

I've never heard of any laws in regards to babysitting. however if your going to be out til 2/3am, i would ask an older teen(16/17) to sit for my child, unless you trust one of your neighbours teens. Most parents don't like the thoughts of their children being out til that hour, even if they are babysitting. You might find it pretty expensive though, babysitters tend to charge more nowadays after 12.30am!! See if you can't agree a rate first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 dub30

shinikins wrote: »
    I've never heard of any laws in regards to babysitting. however if your going to be out til 2/3am, i would ask an older teen(16/17) to sit for my child, unless you trust one of your neighbours teens. Most parents don't like the thoughts of their children being out til that hour, even if they are babysitting. You might find it pretty expensive though, babysitters tend to charge more nowadays after 12.30am!! See if you can't agree a rate first.

yeah thats the age min age id like to mind my 8year old,but i think the childs mother is goin to leave her with a 14 year old.
    i'm working myself and cant take the child.with no law if i say anything il be told to f-off :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Cat Melodeon

dub30 wrote: »
    yeah thats the age min age id like to mind my 8year old,but i think the childs mother is goin to leave her with a 14 year old.
    i'm working myself and cant take the child.with no law if i say anything il be told to f-off :mad:

Maybe you could just ask to meet the babysitter to set your mind at ease? 14 is reasonable enough if they are mature and have previous experience (younger siblings would count as such). I started babysitting when I was 12, a 7 and 3 year old, and never ran into difficulties. I always knew where the parents could be reached (days before mobile phones) and my own parents were available if I needed to ask an adult for advice (a cut knee stressed me out no end one night). You could ensure the sitter has your mobile number in case of emergencies and that s/he feels comfortable about being able to call you as well as the child's mother.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

12 used to be the age that was acceptable to start baby sitting but times have changed.
    I think it depends on the teenager and also the child being minded.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭deisemum

There is no set minimum age but if something happened while a minor is in charge then you could run into difficulties.

There are some 14 year olds that have more sense and are more responsible than some 18 year olds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

14 minimum...8 year olds are generally easy enough though.

• Administrators Posts: 14,056 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

I can't see 14 being any problem. An 8 year old isn't going to me too much trouble. Probably just sit watching dvd's for the night and eventually go to bed when they're wrecked!! A 14 year old minding a newborn until 2 or 3 in the morning might be a bit much, but if the babysitter is capable, and the children being minded aren't "terrors", then I don't see any problem.

We have a very mature, very capable 14 year old babysitter. My children are 2, 3 and 4!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 PIMP MASTER P

How much would you pay a 14 year old for a night from 9 till 12:30 for babysitting these days?

I've a 10 month old and we are using a babysitter for the 1st time, so we haven't a clue.... She's a girl from next door, so if she has problems her parents will be near hand and we won't be more than 10 min away...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

I have a 13 yr old brother and although he has offered I think I will leave it another year, Im not sure. I think it depends on the maturity of the babysitter. As a kid I babysat neighbours kids until all hours from around 13 until 17/18, I had younger siblings though that I also babysat so I was well used to kids, does this teenager have young siblings? Do you think they are mature enough to know not to answer the door, nto to have friends around and what to do if the child cries? I remember at 14 there was one neighbour that insisted my sister babysat being 2 yrs older and was then disgusted when she brought a few pals to sit with her for an hour. Its not necessarily the age, I mean a 16 yr old can be less mature than a 14 yr old, it just depends on the people involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

I babysat a 5 and 7 year old at 15 until 3 am in the morning, stayed over night and slept in their room. The dad worked nights and the mom worked in a bar.

did you try google or citizens advice?

from citizens advice:
    Babysitting
    There is no legal minimum age for babysitting. (The babysitter's level of maturity and competence are the main attributes a parent should consider)

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/birth-family-relationships/children-s-rights-and-policy/children-and-rights-in-ireland

• Advertisement
Advertisement