Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying an Iphone from Buy and Sell

Options
  • 09-07-2010 12:33am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

dodgy I know....:(

Its much cheaper than it would be new, i've seen and held and turned on the iphone on and it seems to work fine ( few scratches on the back and screen but i'm not superficial!) ... I am terrified that after 2 months/weeks I fine it freezes or something...

It's been unlocked by 02 so I should be able to use it with meteor right?

Where do I lie with apple then? :confused: Any where I could get it fixed without a receipt? ( owner owns another iphone, this is an unwanted gift....)

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,404 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Buying advice:
    Iphones don't loose much value, if it's being sold at a rather substantially lower price than retail I'd walk away.

For peace of mind compare the price you're being offered with the price of a similar spec'd (second hand?) iphone being sold on adverts.ie or on ebay.ie

If it's been unlocked by O2 you should have no problems using it on meteor, standard apple warranty is for one year, they'll know if it's still within warranty without the need for receipt (they'll check out the serial number to determine the warranty start date)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 buttercup66685

Thanks Mactard, no it's 375euro, around the price u'd expect from a secondhand 3gs iphone. By the sounds of it the warranty should be still in date.

From my expierence with Mac products, i'd never had a problem with anything i'd owned. I just wanted to check to see if apple would accept my ownership without receipt. Hopefully it'll accept my sim without hassle (branching into unknown territory atm!)

Thanks buttercup.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

Try your Meteor SIM in the phone before handing over the cash. If it's unlocked there should be no problem.

As for Apple warranty.. I'd suggest a quick phone call to Apple. I only know 2 people in the same boat, 1 was refused cover (a wonky Home button; a common issue), and 1 was given an exchange no hassle. Both within 12 months of the original purchase (and neither the original purchaser, obviously). Maybe phone Apple for the official position?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭castie

With people being able to get out of their O2 contracts now and the new Iphone coming out Id say theres alot of them going to come on the market and might be better to wait awhile.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭DamoNolan

try ur sim and make sure it works..get the serial number and check online with apple about warrenty..i bought a 64GB iTouch off a fella for great price €180..had it for good while den it stopped working but was still in apple warrenty so den gave me a new 1..:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Try to get the original receipt of purchase, you may need this for any possible warranty claim. Do try and find out how much of the warranty is left too. As others said, check your SIM in it before handing over any money.

After that, you're on your own.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

You will be tripping over these phones in a few weeks when the model 4 is launched..

I phone 3 is way over rated for the price with just a 3mp camera and no flash.

Thanks guys for all your advice these are the little pitfalls i was looking for!

Just found out the warranty is voided because he opened it up (:confused:)

why on earth would someone do that?...other than for dodgy reasons, like taking parts out?

Apparently it was to make sure it had the right memory, the owner always does it.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,404 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Apparently it was to make sure it had the right memory, the owner always does it.

errr, what's the wrong memory?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭eamon234

Thanks guys for all your advice these are the little pitfalls i was looking for!

why on earth would someone do that?...other than for dodgy reasons, like taking parts out?

Walk away....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭DamoNolan

Dont go near it..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Get the phone IMEI and ring the network it was supposed to have been on and check if its blacklisted

*#06#

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

would'nt surprise if it was stolen, and gutted (certain parts replaced with cheap alternatives)

My thoughts exactly. Refused the offer. I'm gonna keep looking though :rolleyes:

atleast now I know the right questions to ask to avoid the dodgy phones!

Thanks all for your help and advice:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,216 ✭✭✭cojomo2

how did you find that out?

cojomo2 wrote: »
    how did you find that out?

I asked when/where it was bought and for the serial number so I could check the warranty. He just told me he opened it so the warranty was void....very honest of them really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Have you tried www.adverts.ie for one?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭beardo81

On the unlocked by o2 bit, check if the phone is jailbroken (Cydia or similar will be on the phone), if it is ask to restore and if the phone is not unlocked by o2 your Meteor sim won't work in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Sounds like it could be stolen or blacklisted as when you asked about serial number and place it was bought you get some story about the warranty being void because it has been opened up.very suspect!!
    I asked when/where it was bought and for the serial number so I could check the warranty. He just told me he opened it so the warranty was void....very honest of them really.

Advertisement