Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Paranormal Convention 2010

Options
  • 09-07-2010 12:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭

Ok things are still being decided and plans being ,ade but I can confirm that the Dublin ParaCon '10 will take place on Saturday the 6th of November 2010 in The National Leprechaun Museum (you read that right) on Jervis St.

Speakers confirmed so far are Dr. Ciaran O'Keeffe, Steve Parsons and Paul O'Connor.

I'll post more as the details come up but as anyone who'd been over the last 2 years will tell you, its a great chances to mix and mingle with other people with an interest in the Paranormal and an opportunity to look at areas that might not normally be in your area of interest.

http://www.dublinparacon.com

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭DANNY22XX

best of luck with it

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

DANNY22XX wrote: »
    best of luck with it

I plan on seeing yo uthere .... wandering around this time without a care in the world! :D

yeah i can walk away this year from the ones with false accents and indian heads

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭kshiel

Is Barry Fitzgearld speaking this year?

kshiel wrote: »
    Is Barry Fitzgearld speaking this year?

He's not on the list as it stands.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

will there be anything at the event regarding cryptozoology?

a little bit but not a main speaker. Its not a huge area in Ireland despite having a great history of lake monsters!

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

6th wrote: »
    a little bit but not a main speaker. Its not a huge area in Ireland despite having a great history of lake monsters!

yes man in fact a lot of the cryptozoological world regards our lakes as some of the best for cryptids

• Registered Users Posts: 8,873 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Just a quick question about the convention. I see the tickets are limited to 180 for the whole day and was wondering, is this a bit low?

It just seemed more than 180 people for the day last year and was wondering if the new venue is a lot smaller than the hotel last year?

I'll be there either way but was just curious.

Also, an ad in the metro herald free paper would be great as you might get some people without any interest in the paranormal to attend the convention and we might have a few converts.

Steve SI wrote: »
    Just a quick question about the convention. I see the tickets are limited to 180 for the whole day and was wondering, is this a bit low?

It just seemed more than 180 people for the day last year and was wondering if the new venue is a lot smaller than the hotel last year?

I'll be there either way but was just curious.

Also, an ad in the metro herald free paper would be great as you might get some people without any interest in the paranormal to attend the convention and we might have a few converts.

There was roughly 180 there last year but yeah the venue is smaller this year. Fact is the last 2 years cost a total of about 18k ... so we're doing things differently. Learnt alot from the last 2 so plans for this year are to do it better, and smarter.

As for the Metro, having working in advertising for over a decade I know the coct of advertising better than I know the cost of groceries. Plus At the moment, its nice to keep it small and let it grow as the years pass.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,873 ✭✭✭Steve X2

There was roughly 180 there last year but yeah the venue is smaller this year. Fact is the last 2 years cost a total of about 18k ... so we're doing things differently. Learnt alot from the last 2 so plans for this year are to do it better, and smarter.

As for the Metro, having working in advertising for over a decade I know the coct of advertising better than I know the cost of groceries. Plus At the moment, its nice to keep it small and let it grow as the years pass.

Yeah, 18K is a lot without some sort of sponsor.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭Urizen

TBH, I'd think word of mouth is probably the most efficient method for this kind of event anyway. People bring people, next year those newbies bring more, ad infinitum.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Ziycon

Best of luck with this, I'm sure I'll pop along at some stage. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,633 ✭✭✭stormkeeper

I'm planning my next trip to Ireland around this, so I'm fairly sure that I'll be there.

Tickets went on pre-sale the other day and are limited to 180.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭MrMojoRisin

Best of luck with it and fair play to ye for keeping it going. I had no idea it cost €18k during each of the previous two years. I don't mean to pry now, but I'm assuming you all pumped your own personal finances into the organising of it? If that's the case, that shows a lot of self-sacrifice and genuine passion for the area. I'm curious about the fees that each speaker demands, ha..

The smaller venue is a wiser move. I think that, and the limited number of tickets, gives the whole event an aura of greater exclusivity.

I wouldn't worry about advertising it much - especially since you guys have a Facebook page up and all that - because I know a fair few people are aware of the ParaCon by now and expect it to happen every November now. But if you wanted to attract a sizeable number of regular Joe Soaps (who might then take a further interest in other aspects of the paranormal, as represented at the event), I suppose the inclusion of a fairly well-known, popular medium/fortune teller would draw them in. People are always talking about various readers on here, so that'd give you a good idea of who would be a good bet. Depends on their availability. It'd be cool if a reader actually gave a talk in addition to doing readings. Anyway, that more 'entertainment-oriented' side of the paranormal would definitely attract punters.

JUmping on quickly to say that David M. Kiely, co-author of The Dark Sacrament, will will be joining the line-up of speakers on the day!

(personally REALLY excited about this)

here is the number
    Toms GADGETS ???

00440845 456 2370

http://www.tomsgadgets.com/empty_basket.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 10,664 ✭✭✭✭maccored

DANNY22XX wrote: »
    here is the number
    Toms GADGETS ???

00440845 456 2370

http://www.tomsgadgets.com/empty_basket.aspx

you need to drop the zero after '44' and before '8'

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,601 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

JUmping on quickly to say that David M. Kiely, co-author of The Dark Sacrament, will will be joining the line-up of speakers on the day!

Be curious to see what he is like. His book is a bit mental.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭MrMojoRisin

There was a poster with the username Portia who was around here a couple of months ago and who was going on about her experiences of being (unjustifiably) exorcised as a child. She'd probably be well into his talk!

You'd have to wonder whether or not exorcism is really necessary at all in fairness. Anyway, that's a debate for elsewhere...

The convention looks to be shaping up very well already. I didn't get a chance to attend last year's one, but my sister was at it and she said she really enjoyed it. She thought Ciaran O' Keeffe had a hilariously dry sense of humour and that himself and Steve Parsons were very down-to-earth and warm as well.

I saw a video she took with her phone of the two of them sort of taking the piss out of Derek Acorah during a topic called 'How Not To Do A Paranormal Investigation', or something. They were doing that 'Mary loves Dick' stunt that Derek did before on Most Haunted. Class. :D It's great they're returning for this year's convention. :)

I've been talking to them about this years talks and they have managed to up their game. They are giving sperate talks and then they'll do a joint piece.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

Ciaran Okeefe going?

Yeah he'll be there. I post up details of the talks late tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭deelite

Any idea how much the tickets will cost - and will there be a question and answer session?

Tickets are €15 and can be bought on the website.

Each speaker will have time for questions etc and Steve and Ciaran will be finishing off the talks with "the great paranormal debate" where they've told me they will answer ANYTHING ...... no holds bared!

Just received the tickets from the printer and will start posting out them tonight. Fair few sold already but now that I have theactual tickets I expect them to go well before the day! We're limited to 180 tickets this year.

Speakers:

STEVE PARSONS
    Talk: Orbs Or A Load of Balls?
    Steve Parsons is considered by leading Parapsychologists & peers as perhaps the UK's foremost Psychical Researcher and Investigator. With his background in Physical Science & Medicine he has been uniquely placed to pioneer and develop new methods in modern ghost hunting techniques. Co founder of Para.Science, Steve has contributed to many TV & Radio shows including a number of documentaries for the Discovery Channel & National Geographic. He was also for a time the paranormal investigator on Most Haunted.

Dr. CAIRAN O'KEEFFE
    Talk: Psychic Criminology
    Ciarán O'Keeffe is a British parapsychologist and member of the Society for Psychical Research and a consultant of the Ghost Club. He is best known for his appearances on Living TV's paranormal television series Most Haunted and Jane Goldman Investigates where he performs the role of parapsychologist and paranormal investigator. He also featured in National Geographic Channel's 2005 series Paranormal?. He is an open-minded skeptic on most paranormal phenomena.

RICHARD JONES
    Talk:
    Richard Jones

DAVID M. KIELY
    Talk: The Dark Sacrament: Exorcism in Modern Ireland
    David Kiely was born in Dublin in 1949. He travelled extensively before settling in Northern Ireland and marrying fellow-author Christina McKenna. The co-authored "The Dark Sacrament: Exorcism in Modern Ireland" in 2006. HarperOne, San Francisco, subsequently did two American editions.

David has an abiding interest in the paranormal. This was sparked when, aged 17, he had the first of many out-of-body experiences. He went on the study magic, joining a circle in Amsterdam, where he completed a Dutch translation of "The Book of the Law", supposedly transmitted by the angel Aiwass.

He has recently finished a time-travel adventure set in New York and is presently working on his retelling of the legend of Faust, the medieval doctor who sold his soul to the Devil.

PAUL O'CONNOR
    Talk: Remote Viewing
    Paul O'Connor

• Advertisement

links_12_2466565894.jpg

This is a unique field investigation training day for those who want to be a Ghost hunter. This popular fully interactive course is run jointly by Dr. Ciarán O’Keeffe and Steve Parsons and draws upon their unique combination of skills to provide the perfect foundation for anyone who is interested in developing their ghost hunting. Beginners and experienced investigators alike have benefitted from So You Wanna Be A Ghost Hunter.

For the first time they are pleased to be bringing their training day to Dublin as part of ParaCon 2010.

Tickets for this event are limited to 30 and cost €100. If you wish to apply for a ticket then please join facebook event page for So You Wanna Be A Ghost Hunter.

Advertisement