Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mark Little: Smug, Irritating, Insufferable - not grateful for VIP

Options
  • 09-07-2010 1:12am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 26

No love lost there then, when Michael O'Doherty writes:

In the home I call VIP Towers, we've come across some trouble-makers in the past 11 years, but I can honestly say that the end result has always been worth it, and we've never regretted dealing with a single person in all that time. Except, of course, for irritating, insufferable Mark Little. The former Prime Time presenter's smug little head is back in the papers, as he strives to publicise the pet venture he left RTE for -- an online news 'service' called storyful.com.

http://www.herald.ie/opinion/michael-odoherty-precious-little-isnt-someone-id-bank-on-2250778.html

I agree with Michael. Do you?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,783 ✭✭✭KungPao

He was good as Joe Mangel.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

I can't really see what it is I'm s'posed to hate about Little. That he's taken the brave step of leaving a comfortable well paid position to set up his own business? That his wife is well paid? That he regrets doing a VIP photo shoot? Actually reading the article, it's the "journalist" who comes across as the douchebag with a chip on his shoulder.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

Moved from After Hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Vim Fuego

I do agree.

Didn't he just take a leave of absence from RTE, similar to his Montrose pal George Lee? Not a huge amount of risk there when he can just run back to Miriam.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

That "journo" sounds like a twat tbh!
    Read this drivil:
    Posing for pictures the day after, wearing matching flip-flops may have seemed like a good idea; a bit of dressing down after the formality of the previous day, and certainly on Amy they served only to accentuate her natural beauty. But a heads-up for Brian -- jeans and flip-flops don't work. If you've just thrown on a pair of shorts, and are planning to dress properly later, then okay. But if you've gone to the trouble of putting on jeans, then go the extra distance, and put on some shoes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Dennis the Stone

Smug, Irritating, Insufferable: O'Doherty has basically described himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

I can't agree with any of this.

Mark Little is trying out something new and pioneering. No idea why that journo thinks only four people read his blog, 4 comments does not equal 4 readers, not by a long shot.

Anyway, I've always thought Mark to be a fine journalist and I have nothing but respect and admiration for what he's attempting.

That Michael O'Doherty seems a wee bit jealous to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Always liked him on Prime Time and in his other contributions. I think his idea about the storyful website may be a wee bit conceited .... But I like and respect the guy. That article is gratuitously insulting and critical of a man that I would never have associated with any of the three words mentioned.

Smug, Irritating, Insufferable = Ryan Tubridy..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 crowdflash

I think Michael O'Doherty should be recognized as someone who took considerable risks himself and set up some very successful magazines. He works hard, knows how to run a real business, and has no little semi-state job to run back to.

Although he is clearly out to provoke with his stuff in the Herald, he has voiced what a lot of people think about Mark Little's venture. We're not all in awe of it like Una Mullally and Co and the rest of the Irish blogosphere/Twittersphere trying to get a job with storyful.com.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Vim Fuego

crowdflash wrote: »
    We're not all in awe of it like Una Mullally and Co and the rest of the Irish blogosphere/Twittersphere trying to get a job with storyful.com.

Nail on head.

Here's another thing: When Ryan Tubridy went to the White House, Mark Little was in tow, tweeting all the way. He had 'left' RTE at this point. I would like to think that the Irish taxpayer did not pay for Little's trip but I would not be surprised.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 644 ✭✭✭filthymcnasty

No love lost there then, when Michael O'Doherty writes:

In the home I call VIP Towers, we've come across some trouble-makers in the past 11 years, but I can honestly say that the end result has always been worth it, and we've never regretted dealing with a single person in all that time. Except, of course, for irritating, insufferable Mark Little. The former Prime Time presenter's smug little head is back in the papers, as he strives to publicise the pet venture he left RTE for -- an online news 'service' called storyful.com.

http://www.herald.ie/opinion/michael-odoherty-precious-little-isnt-someone-id-bank-on-2250778.html

I agree with Michael. Do you?

Amazed at the vitriol for Mark Little simply because he distanced himself from something he once did in some dog**** magazine . Watched him on prime time and the news would not have considered him smug or irritating etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 crowdflash

Vim Fuego wrote: »
    Nail on head.

Here's another thing: When Ryan Tubridy went to the White House, Mark Little was in tow, tweeting all the way. He had 'left' RTE at this point. I would like to think that the Irish taxpayer did not pay for Little's trip but I would not be surprised.

FOI request just going in to RTE on that one.

And I'd include a bunch of boards.ie moderators in the "do not criticize, want a job from the 'c*ck on the box'" category.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

I don't mind Little trying a new venture, but the irony is that he's been using the 'traditional' media a fair bit to plug this web service.

Old connections still go a fair way, and i'm sure he is aware of it!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

And I'd include a bunch of boards.ie moderators in the "do not criticize, want a job from the 'c*ck on the box'" category.
    I hope you're not saying that I'm only defending the guy "because I want a job". I already have a job thank you very much, and even if I didn't, I'm hardy sucking up to the guy by saying that I respect him and his work.

Michael O'Doherty made a personal attack at him, no one deserves that.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I've met Mark several times, twice around his "storyful" idea. He and I spoke about it as a social idea rather then any job proposal hahah, I have enough going on at the moment! He is anything but smug and irritating. I found him actually very down to earth. He's smart, he doesnt allow stupid things to go unchallenged (I prefer that personally) and he's intelligent too which will bug some people.

The description in the OP doesnt jibe at all with my personal experience.

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Mad Benny

Michael O'Doherty must feel like an idiot today.

http://www.siliconrepublic.com/start-ups/item/35240-mark-littles-storyful/

Well done Mark Little.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,023 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Mad Benny wrote: »
    Michael O'Doherty must feel like an idiot today.

http://www.siliconrepublic.com/start-ups/item/35240-mark-littles-storyful/

Well done Mark Little.
    some achievement

• Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

Einhard wrote: »
    I can't really see what it is I'm s'posed to hate about Little. That he's taken the brave step of leaving a comfortable well paid position to set up his own business? That his wife is well paid? That he regrets doing a VIP photo shoot? Actually reading the article, it's the "journalist" who comes across as the douchebag with a chip on his shoulder.

Caroline Morahan got the same 'hatas' for going to Hollywood and shock horror not becoming the most famous actress in the world. Obviously what she should have done is sit around Montrose for the next few decades like the rest of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭CountyHurler

I always liked Mark Little as presenter of Prime Time and thought he'd lost his mind when he left RTE to go to a "web startup"... He did get a bit smug, but I still think he's a good guy and deserves his success. Wonder what he'll do next..

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

He'll.... most likely be stuck in Storyful for the next couple of years as those sort of deals tend to have "golden handcuffs" attached to them, whereby the existing primaries agree to stay with the company for a certain length of time to over-see the transition to the new owners...

I hate that Murdoch has got his nasty paws on Storyful though.. glad to see Mark get rewarded for his efforts though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

I always liked Mark Little as presenter of Prime Time and thought he'd lost his mind when he left RTE to go to a "web startup"... He did get a bit smug, but I still think he's a good guy and deserves his success. Wonder what he'll do next..

Mr Little remains as Chief Executive but will now run Storyful from New York.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

evilivor wrote: »
    Mr Little remains as Chief Executive but will now run Storyful from New York.

His wife is American and of course he was Washington correspondent for years so he won't be a fish out of water over there.

As I stated over in the News & Media thread very pleased for Mr Little. Left the cosy surrounds of RTE to pursue a vision that has been realised in spades. As for the accusation of being smug, leave it out. Irish people confuse confidence with smugness all too easily.

Advertisement