Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dunnes or Tesco?

Options
  • 09-07-2010 1:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭

Which one is the cheapest? i know tesco is supposed but i think they seem to around the same and at time dunnes seem cheaper

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭Jennyfer

I think they're pretty much the same, you kinda have to go between the 2 to get the best value what with different special offers and stuff. Although I think a lot of Tescos own brand stuff is nicer than Dunnes' own brand, and cheaper. Am I right in that they both seem to have 3 levels of own brand?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Xterminator

i find dunnes has a small price edge on branded goods. If you buy bachelors and brennans etc, dunnes works out cheaper.

But dunnes have a smaller range of own brand goods.

if your happy to buy own branded goods, tesco beats dunnes by a fair margin, (as they have more own branded lines).

thats my experience anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 24,079 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I think that Dunnes is looking good at the moment, and that Tesco is pissing me around a fair bit.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,404 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Near to no difference...they barely compete with each other.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

It's worth going to both for offers and specials, why commit to just one if both are near you? You owe it to you're wallet to shop around ;)

As others said they barely try anymore, no extra points or nothing :mad:

IMO Dunnes has an edge with it's own brand in terms of quality vs tesco

I get my toiletries in lidl or aldi and whatever fruit and veg is on offer, the cein branded shampoo and shower gel is not only a steal @ 59c but actually very good quality vs something you would pay €2 odd for elsewhere. 89c in aldi for 5 vine tomatos vs 2.49 in tesco :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

OP you are better off with Dunnes because they are Irish :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 shoeaddict27

i agree. there's not much of a difference between the two stores, but dunnes do seem to have more irish products. support our own :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

are there other supermarkets in the area that you could try? aldi/lidl superquinn super-valu etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

The only thing irish about dunnes is the family and considering this is the ben dunne family brothers and sisters I would rather give my money to the brits in tesco.

Pricewise however they both have ups and downs. I worked in Dunnes, knew all the prices and compared them to tesco on the main items.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Apollo123

i agree. there's not much of a difference between the two stores, but dunnes do seem to have more irish products. support our own :)
    Actually, shopping in Tesco supports 15,000 direct employees here and thousands more indirect employees. Yes, I appreciate that at the end of the day the profits go back to the UK, but Tesco does pay the wages of many Irish people and also helps our economy thanks to PAYE/PRSI payments, VAT payments and corporation tax.

• Advertisement

Apollo123 wrote: »
    Actually, shopping in Tesco supports 15,000 direct employees here and thousands more indirect employees. Yes, I appreciate that at the end of the day the profits go back to the UK, but Tesco does pay the wages of many Irish people and also helps our economy thanks to PAYE/PRSI payments, VAT payments and corporation tax.

I bet that Tesco has more Irish shareholders than Dunnes, Superquinn, and Musgraves and their franchisees put together, so you can throw their dividend income into the pot as well.

At the end of the day though, we'd all be stupid if we didn't buy from the cheapest, no matter who they happen to be.

ejmaztec wrote: »
    At the end of the day though, we'd all be stupid if we didn't buy from the cheapest, no matter who they happen to be.
    The cheapest doesn’t always mean the best

There are certain home budget brands found on supermarket shelves that I wouldn't recommend feeding to the family cat.....

There are certain home budget brands found on supermarket shelves that I wouldn't recommend feeding to the family cat.....

That 50 odd cent tesco white sliced pan for a start, I was going to feed the ducks with it in Marlay Pk once but thought better of it least I be done for animal cruelty ;)

calex71 wrote: »
    That 50 odd cent tesco white sliced pan for a start, I was going to feed the ducks with it in Marlay Pk once but thought better of it least I be done for animal cruelty ;)
    One Tiger loaf would bloat up the entire population of pidgeons that hang around the central bank.

One Tiger loaf would bloat up the entire population of pigeons that hang around the central bank.

I'd be doing the state a service there i feel, ever toast that sh*t? Must be some amount of sugar in it !!!!!! Has hte added effect of driving my fillings bonkers. Local bakery does a tiger loaf, tastes and looks nothing like the tesco €1 for a life jacket of bloat after eating one :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭Nolimits

calex71 wrote: »

I think he ment the dog food;)

The only people recommending rubbish are the people selling it, and I'm not a retailer.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

I find that Tesco tends to do more special offers than dunnes (but then again I shop at Tesco Clarehall so maybe thats because its so big) and since I don't care what brand I buy then I find things cheaper overall in Tesco.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

axer wrote: »
    I find that Tesco tends to do more special offers than dunnes (but then again I shop at Tesco Clarehall so maybe thats because its so big) and since I don't care what brand I buy then I find things cheaper overall in Tesco.
    I am the exact same, generally buy whats on offer, no brand loyalty, no shopping list and tesco do have far more offers. For certain items, like toothpaste or tins of stuff I wait till its on offer and stock up.

If you sign up to tesco.ie you can see all the current offers and when they end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭91011

and all the profits are kept in the vault of one small family:mad:

Tesco advantage is profits go to shareholders, most of whom are pension funds including many Irish funds and therefore probably more beneficial to Irish economy.

As for prices - depending on whether you are a special offer buyer or a same brand every week buyer. Overall I'd say Tesco slightly cheaper.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭munstergirl

I find tesco have more special offers than dunnes, and then dunnes copy them.

I think at the end of the day there is not much difference between the two.

I would support both and like competition.

Saying that was in tesco today and didn't see many special offers.

Dunnes have dairygold, ham + cheese €5

Advertisement