Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Oil slicks on country roads today from rain, slight rainbow colouration? anyone?

• 09-07-2010 2:43am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 21

Hi Guys,

Whilst out walking the dog today I noticed a lot of oil/petrol colouration in the puddles at the sides of the road? More than one spot, plenty in fact.... you know like you see in a petrol station in a wet day?

Anyone else notice?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

I am sure its a middle east conspiracy of some sort :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭Emme

Happens a lot if there hasn't been much rain in a while. We just haven't seen this for a while in Ireland!:rolleyes: I don't know, maybe the exhaust content contains a small amount of oil and eventually finds its way onto the road, causing shiny slicks.

Or it could be a gay pride thing - gays going out at night and decorating the roads with rainbow slicks when there's nobody driving!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,721 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Hi Guys,

Whilst out walking the dog today I noticed a lot of oil/petrol colouration in the puddles at the sides of the road? More than one spot, plenty in fact.... you know like you see in a petrol station in a wet day?

Anyone else notice?

It pretty normal/common more noticeable when there has not been rain for a while, not all the fuel burns in the car, and some make it out the exhaust and ends up on the road, the rain washes it away.

You often hear AA alerts about this, and you will notice the more traffic accident when it rains after an extended dry period, cause it makes the roads slippery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭FISMA

It's called thin film diffraction.

In general, I agree with the other posters who suggested that due to the recent and relatively good weather, more films (oil, grease, et al) have collected on the road and failed to wash away.

Once a bit of rain comes down, the films will accumulate.

The same effect can be seen in soap bubbles. The colorish effect is due to films that are very thin - approaching the lengths of the light waves - hundreds on nanometers.

Advertisement