Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Working in Belfast

Options
  • 09-07-2010 9:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭

Just a quick question.
    Im from Dublin and looking to work in Belfast and have a few interviews lined up. My question is do I need any work permits, tax numbers etc to work in the north and if so how are these gotten?
    TIA

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭ems_12

Hiya ICE HOUSE,

If you're moving up here, you'll need a national insurance number for tax reasons - I've found the "border people" website very helpful: http://www.borderpeople.info/index/live/browse/browse-detail.htm?objId=4483

I went for an interview for a NI number - it's set up for people coming in from further afield tbh, as you get questions such as:
    "When did you last leave the country?"
    "when did you first enter this country?"
    "when are you going to leave again?"
    ...so everytime you go home to Dublin is technically leaving the country and entering again. They had no problem with my answers (I was going over the border regularly) and it was a very quick interview, the girl behind the counter filled in a form, I signed it and I received my NI number in a couple of weeks. :)

Forgot to say, I'm pretty sure you can start work without an NI number, you just get a type of emergency tax which you can claim back....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Yes, good advice above, you need a national insurance number, the very same as a PPS number.
    It takes a week or two to process, quite fast realy and you pay emergency tax while this is sorted

It's likely your employer will pay your salary to a bank account.
    With all the anti money laundering requirments opening a bank a/c is certainly not easy.
    And even if you have a Ulster Bank a/c here, it means absolutely nothing to Ulster Bank in Belfast. You are a brand new applicant to them.
    Same with Bank of Ireland or AIB/First Trust

You certainly don't need a work permit.

Belfast is cheap compared to Dublin for rent, you'll get a good place easily.
    It is commutable from Dublin but not for long-term, I couldn't do it so check out renting

Advertisement