Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lawn sand/sharp sand for the garden

Options
  • 09-07-2010 9:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭

Hi - so I've been reading around that sharp sand is fine as a substitute for lawn sand, but also that it is not. Some sharp sand may not be washed, may have high salt content etc. The plus side of sharp sand is obviously the nice price. So which to use?
    Right now B&Q have a good offer on large bags of sharp sand. Does anyone know if B&Q brand sharp sand (specifically) is ok to use on lawns? Have you used it? I've just aerated the lawn and want to sand it.
    Thanks a lot!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

I've no idea where you're getting your info but sharp sand in large quantities would be detrimental to the lawn. Lawn sand is different and better to use sharp sand especially if it is washed on the walls (plastering). But all good sharp building sand worth its salt :D would be washed anyways!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

Well if you google it you'll see a lot of discussion on the use of sharp sand in the garden. In general people seem to say that lawn sand is pretty much the same as sharp sand but marketed and priced for mugs. It just depends on where you get as some can be better than others. Hence I'm wondering if anyone has used sharp sand from B&Q. Just looking for the benefit of others' experience ...
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭Nozebleed

woodies have 25KG of lime free horticultural sand/grit for sale at the moment. its €4 a bag. Or you could buy a tonne from smyths builders providers if you want loads. i use it on my vegetable bed. works a dream for drainage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

I've used, and still use, the B&Q sharp sand in homemade seed and cuttings composts. It has never had a detrimental effect on any plants.

Thanks for replies. I'll get a few bags so.
    bmaxi - what recipe do you use for your potting compost? I have plenty of home-made compost. Seen a lot of recipes online but as my gardening is only small scale it is hardly worth the expense of going out and buying perlite, vermiculite etc. etc. when I could probably get store-bought potting compost cheaper. In short I'm looking for a cheap way of making my own potting compost (using my own compost) that would do the job. Doesn't have to be professional grade if you know what I mean. Thanks

• Advertisement

redser7 wrote: »
    Thanks for replies. I'll get a few bags so.
    bmaxi - what recipe do you use for your potting compost? I have plenty of home-made compost. Seen a lot of recipes online but as my gardening is only small scale it is hardly worth the expense of going out and buying perlite, vermiculite etc. etc. when I could probably get store-bought potting compost cheaper. In short I'm looking for a cheap way of making my own potting compost (using my own compost) that would do the job. Doesn't have to be professional grade if you know what I mean. Thanks

I never use homemade compost in a potting mix I always buy loam. My own compost is fine for general use but I wouldn't use it for potting. It's worth experimenting with a few easy plants though.
    I usually use the John Innes formula 7:3:1. loam, peat and sand, adding a handful of slow release fertiliser per bucket. You can always increase or decrease fertiliser as you see fit.

Thanks a lot bmaxi. I'm a beginner at this so excuse the ignorance, but is loam different to say topsoil? Can you buy loam in bags at typical garden centres? Cheers

redser7 wrote: »
    Thanks a lot bmaxi. I'm a beginner at this so excuse the ignorance, but is loam different to say topsoil? Can you buy loam in bags at typical garden centres? Cheers
    Yes, topsoil. You will probably get it a bit cheaper in Atlantic or Woodies and some places sell it in 1 tonne bags. You would need to be sure that it's good quality though
    I've found the Hortons variety quite good also B&Q's own brand. If it's only small scale you want to do then I'd buy a good potting compost, probably work out cheaper and less hassle in the end. You can buy bags of John Innes 1,2 and 3 at most Garden Centres, the higher the number the more fertiliser is added.

Thanks again!

Advertisement