Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Philips 42" tv Warrenty question

Options
  • 09-07-2010 9:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭

Hi guys just a quick one. I bought a Philips 42inch tv in September 2008. It was purchased in Tesco as part of a deal were i got a Super glass stand, dvd recorder and speaker set. I paid 1000euro for the lot which was a great deal at the time. Anyway came home from a few days away and i have a blue line running down the middle of the screen, looks pretty crap to be honest. I rang Philips and Tesco's and they told me my warrenty expired after 12months. Just wondering is this the case and i haven't a leg to stand on. T.V had very little use, mainly weekends and i have original recepit.

Thanks in advance guys.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,317 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Take your receipt back to the store (and the TV if you can fit it) but yes you have a legf to stand on. Go to Citizen information and print out the details from there to bring to the store (in case you get an issue there).

• Registered Users Posts: 18,992 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

The warranty is in addition to your rights. I got something similar when I brought my phone (N95) back when the microphone stopped working after a year and a half. The sales person said I'd have to pay for repair.

I had all the info from consumer information in my pocket. But just said that I expect a €600 item to last more then a year and under EU law we have 2 years, which Ireland never ratified. Never even had to mention that in Irish law we have up to 7 years. Phone went back for repair and cost me nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Esoteric_

You should have a decent case. I'm pretty sure there's a reasonable time thing, where by something you paid that much money for should be expected to last at least 2 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I would expect a TV to last more than 2 years, and funnily enough, so does Consumer Law.

Take the TV back to Tesco along with the receipt. They are your point of contact.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,540 ✭✭✭✭Varik

dudara wrote: »
    I would expect a TV to last more than 2 years, and funnily enough, so does Consumer Law.

Take the TV back to Tesco along with the receipt. They are your point of contact.

How long should it last, would all electronics be treated the same ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭Kxiii

I bought a sony 50'' bravia for €1500, in the space of eighteen months it developed three separate faults. After it spending a total of two months away being fixed sony wanted me to pay €400 for its last visit for repair.
    I decided that there was no way was i paying for repairs as the set was just over a year and a half old. So I took them to small claims court and won the case the judge said the reasonable life span of a tv should be seven years.

The sale of goods and supply of services act 1980 is there for this type of situation

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭toe_knee

So who did you bring to ther small claims court? The shop where it was bought or Sony?

Kxiii wrote: »
    I bought a sony 50'' bravia for €1500, in the space of eighteen months it developed three separate faults. After it spending a total of two months away being fixed sony wanted me to pay €400 for its last visit for repair.
    I decided that there was no way was i paying for repairs as the set was just over a year and a half old. So I took them to small claims court and won the case the judge said the reasonable life span of a tv should be seven years.

The sale of goods and supply of services act 1980 is there for this type of situation

So a TV would be expected to last 7 years would that be the same for DVD/Blu-ray player, speakers and Xbox or Playstation.

I wanted to know as i have a 3 year 7 month old Playstation 3 launch console, most friends that had the same have had their break down with the same error with the oldest lasting to last January, while that's under 7 years and Sony have said it will be around for 8- 10 years before they release a new one am i hoping for too much if it died soon. From what i read online getting over 3 years is an achievement.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

toe_knee wrote: »
    So who did you bring to ther small claims court? The shop where it was bought or Sony?

The shop, that's who you have your sales contract with and that's who you should deal with.

Sony have fulfilled their obligations as soon as their manufacturer's warranty expired and so are out of the loop.

Varik wrote: »
    So a TV would be expected to last 7 years would that be the same for DVD/Blu-ray player, speakers and Xbox or Playstation.

There is no set figure for the lifetime of electronics. The law states that they have to have a "reasonable" lifetime.

We all have had TVs for 10+ years, so expecting a TV to last 7 years is quite reasonable.

Smaller, portable devices can be expected to have shorter lifetimes, but there is no figure set in law.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

considering our mitsubishi flat diamond set is over 10 years old and still working, to be given a 1 year warranty is lol

get the finger out, you will eventually get results

There is no set figure for the lifetime of electronics. The law states that they have to have a "reasonable" lifetime.

We all have had TVs for 10+ years, so expecting a TV to last 7 years is quite reasonable.

Smaller, portable devices can be expected to have shorter lifetimes, but there is no figure set in law.

Would you say 4 or 5 years or even 6 would be reasonable for a €630 cost.

What is the item in question?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

OP, get straight on to the small claims court, it's well worth it. You will have to write a letter to the store giving them 10 days to sort you out, then proceed to the small claims court.

I would ring Philips and just get them to confirm the fault and maybe put a name on it as apposed to a fault caused by customer damage.

You should get a refund if you push for it, the repair from Philips would nearly be the price of the telly so you may as well push for the refund.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,992 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    OP, get straight on to the small claims court, it's well worth it. You will have to write a letter to the store giving them 10 days to sort you out, then proceed to the small claims court.

I would ring Philips and just get them to confirm the fault and maybe put a name on it as apposed to a fault caused by customer damage.

You should get a refund if you push for it, the repair from Philips would nearly be the price of the telly so you may as well push for the refund.

This has nothing to do with Philips.

It's all on Tesco to do the repair, replace, refund. The OP has made 1 phone call so far and got fobbed off.

They need to go into the store they bought it from and talk face to face with someone. If they go to the store and get the same story then they can should use the SCC.

What is the item in question?

It was a Playstation 3, the thing is even it was replaced with a new one it will lose a features, as their is no Backwards compatibility for older games in the newer ones would it be possible to get the full €630 back when the newer ones are €300 without this feature. it's 3 year 7 months old now and since Sony are supporting this for a 8-10 year life and won't be releasing a 4th console in the next 2-4 year can it be expected to last the 8-10.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Del2005 wrote: »
    This has nothing to do with Philips.

It's all on Tesco to do the repair, replace, refund. The OP has made 1 phone call so far and got fobbed off.

They need to go into the store they bought it from and talk face to face with someone. If they go to the store and get the same story then they can should use the SCC.

It would be easier to contact Philips to confirm the fault rather than setting the TV up in Tesco and displaying the fault with the screen, obviously your contract is with Tesco as apposed to Philips.

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭Kxiii

@ Varik
    I'm not too sure where the law stands on other electronics i was just giving the OP my xp with a faulty tv. The store I bought it from tried to argue that it was outside the twelve month warranty and there for not their problem. The judge dismissed their defense under the Sale of Goods and Supply of Services act. He agreed that my set was faulty from day 1 and not Fit for Purpose or of Merchantable Quality.
    If you think you could argue your case re your PS3 maybe you might win. It will only cost you €15 to lodge your complaint with the local court.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,317 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Varik wrote: »
    It was a Playstation 3, the thing is even it was replaced with a new one it will lose a features, as their is no Backwards compatibility for older games in the newer ones would it be possible to get the full €630 back when the newer ones are €300 without this feature. it's 3 year 7 months old now and since Sony are supporting this for a 8-10 year life and won't be releasing a 4th console in the next 2-4 year can it be expected to last the 8-10.
    You would never get the full amount back since you have had it for a noticeable time and hence a deduction for use comes into play.

Nody wrote: »
    You would never get the full amount back since you have had it for a noticeable time and hence a deduction for use comes into play.

if there was an equivalent replacement available i would not expect to get all the money back but when any replacement given will not have the same features of the better older model, i was wondering what would happen.

• Advertisement
Advertisement