Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Entry to GB (mistake in pet passport)

Options
  • 09-07-2010 9:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭

My vet entered the wrong date for our dog's rabies vaccination in our pet passport (she wrote it was only valid for one year & not the 2-3 as recommended by the manufacturer) the problem is, it looks like we missed a booster vaccination (she says she can't change it /give us a new passport)

Problem is, we ware traveling landbridge to Ireland soon (from Germany) and are afraid they won't let us into England.

I have wrote to the manufacturer of the vaccination they sent me an information leaflet about the product and it's validation and a short note as an E-Mail, I also typed a letter in English, French and German stating the entry on the passport is wrong and added the correct validation.

Does anyone know if it will be enough if I get these stamped and signed by the vet to show at customs if there are any questions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Hey -

I'd be pressuring your vet on this one. It's her error.

Can you speak to someone at customs, and check whether, if the vet were to change the incorrect information on the passport, and stamp or initial the changes, if that would be allowable; also check with them regarding getting her to stamp the letters and information you brought along.

I'm sure it's not the first time this has happened, but what a pain in the ass for you!!

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Apanachi

Couldn't get a hold of anyone in customs, but got the vet to sign and stamp a letter with the correct validity, now the stupid vet wouldn't give our dog the tick treatment, cos she said we don't need it...

....time to find a new vet methinks....

... now I'm in a state of panic that we'll be turned away at the port::::

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Change vets. Ring around first and ask who has experience with a pet passport for your dog. Explain the circumstances on the phone (but don't be too harsh on your vet, because vet practices don't like to hear you bagging other vets) and just say you'd be more comfortable with a practice that has pet passport experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Wisco

You could also contact DEFRA or the Dept of Agriculture here in Ireland- not sure they'd help you much, but might be worth a try if you have no luck with your vets. The vets get the passports here in Ireland through the Dept of Ag so might be worth a shot.
    I do know a guy who wasn't allowed on the ferry because his passport was out of date by one day. I don't say this to scare you more but definitely get it sorted before you get on the boat.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭Alun

If all else fails there are apparently a few vets in the immediate area of the Calais port who will do the tick treatment for you. It might mean you miss your ferry, and will have to re-book, but at least you'll get through OK.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Apanachi

Just to update you all in case anyone else has similar problems, we did get refused entry to GB, not because of the wrong vaccination validity date, but because the vet hadn't filled out certain pages in the pet passport (she said it wasn't necessary because we had all the original documentation)

We found a vet only 3 kms from Dunkirk port who filled out everything for us, we were afraid we'd be ripped off because the vet knew how badly we needed to get everything right to be able to continue our journey, but she was very friendly and only charged us 15 Euros, which I considered very fair.

For anyone in need of a vet who is travelling from Dunkirk, I highly recommend this vet surgery

R. Wattebled

Rue du Canton du Cailloutis
    59279 Loon Plage, France
    09 75 51 85 47

Advertisement