Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seaplane Going Ahead!

Options
2»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

What kind of state subsidy will this service get?
    Otherwise I doubt it is a viable proposition.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

JustMary wrote: »
    Some of them are taxpayers, some aren't (because their official income is so low that they're under the tax-threshold).

Some of them paid taxes during their working lives. Some didn't. Of those who didn't, for some it was because they didn't do (paid) work, for others it was because they actively avoided taxes (either legally or otherwise).

Of those who did pay taxes, some paid them in Ireland (or the EEA), some didn't.

On average, older people are a lot wealthier than younger ones.

The only reason for universal free bus passes (or medical cards or whatever) is administrative efficiency. I've no problems with giving assistance to people who need it, but the current scheme does anything but.

When you say some, could you provide any specific numbers/percentages? Cos otherwise your post lacks a bit of credibility. Yes, older people are wealthier on average, thats because they've been working a long time earning money, in many cases have worked their way up to higher salaries and ultimately retired on higher pensions. It doesn't take a genius to work that out. They've also paid tax for all of their working lives, including when the tax rates were far higher than today, lived through several recessions when mortgage rates were well into double figures, and laid the groundwork for the successful economy we had up to a couple of years ago.
    And yes, most of them are still taxpayers, like the rest of us. Tax doesn't just mean income tax - there are plenty of stealth taxes in this country.
    I don't begrudge a single one of those OAPs the free bus pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Zzippy wrote: »
    When you say some, could you provide any specific numbers/percentages? Cos otherwise your post lacks a bit of credibility. Yes, older people are wealthier on average, thats because they've been working a long time earning money, in many cases have worked their way up to higher salaries and ultimately retired on higher pensions. It doesn't take a genius to work that out. They've also paid tax for all of their working lives, including when the tax rates were far higher than today, lived through several recessions when mortgage rates were well into double figures, and laid the groundwork for the successful economy we had up to a couple of years ago.
    And yes, most of them are still taxpayers, like the rest of us. Tax doesn't just mean income tax - there are plenty of stealth taxes in this country.
    I don't begrudge a single one of those OAPs the free bus pass.

If I had stats, I would have quoted 'em. :p

The wealthier folks, on average, don't pay so much in taxes: they have clever accountants/lawyers to advise them on how to structure their affairs to minimise the tax bill.

It's not about begrudgery: it's stating that people for who we'lll be paying for sea-plane flights between Limerick and Galway, won't actually have contributed much to society. You justifiy paying for them on the basis that some people in the same demographic did contribute, and it's easier to just pay for everyone. I think that's bogus, and we should base assistance levels on needs now, not on what they did or didn't do in the past. I also think that assistance should be in cash, not in kind, so that people can make their own decisions about whether they use it riding the bus to Dublin once a week or taking a taxi to the bowling club.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

ScumLord wrote: »
    That's a once in a lifetime trip for most, those pilots are nuts!

The Aussies have a really cool plane for covering short distances, it flys just above the surface of the water and doesn't have big traditional wings. I seen it on some new technology show years ago, don't know if it took off or not.
    LOL - don't know if it took off or not.

the Russians are the masters of ground effect http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ground_effect_vehicle
    but the Brits used to fly the Buccaneers in ground effect too , yanks used to get upset at then during top gun training , technically it's a bomber and it was beiing used as the target and they just couldn't lock on to them

• Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Yep ground effect is the way to go. This baby, known as the Caspian Sea Monster may be surplus to requirements.

Caspian_sea_monster-2.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Can't find a direct link, but this enterprise was covered yesterday by reporter Henry Mckean on Moncrieff - Newstalk.

In the item, McKean took the controls on a flight from Weston to Mountshannon on Lough Derg.
    He also spoke to Emelyn Heaps, CAO of Harbour Flights.

For anyone interested in listening try

http://www.newstalk.ie

Choose "Listen Back" for Moncrieff, Thursday 11 November.
    The piece begins about 22:40 into part 2 of the programme.

Advertisement