Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Three seem very slow to get the latest mobiles, no?

Options
  • 09-07-2010 10:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭

Does anybody else agree? I was waiting for the iPhone with 3 so long that the HTC Desire came out, and I fully intend to get that instead now.. but it's going to be at least September, or maybe later, before 3 have that phone. I really think they should stop worrying about branding and putting their own little flavour on the phone and just stick the 3 sticker on it and sell the damn thing... now I know that there is a worldwide shortage of these amazing handsets, but September ??? Come on, I still have to deal with my Nokia Dopeyphone....

Any thoughts?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 BigAliens

Afaik 3's testing period for handsets is 3 to 4 times longer than the other irish networks which is a main factor to the seemingly delayed releases.if im honest i do agree that its frustrating but on the other hand its good to know that they rarely throw out vanilla batch phones and let the public be the guinea pigs for testing

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭davil

Yeah it makes a lot of sense I suppose, but I really want to get my hands on an Android phone with a decent touchscreen so I can start making apps and I don't want to pay something like €400 so I'll just have to wait

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭Walkman

HTC Wildfire will be out next month on 3. Should not be more than €250 - €300 on 3pay

Not as good though. Smaller screen (only TFT not AMOLED), less RAM, just over half the speed CPU, no GPS and no accelerometer. nah I'll hold out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭donkey balls

htc desire is due out around sept it was to be out this week:mad: there saying that the htc has software issues.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭chillin_penguin

I didnt think 3 was planning to bring out the iphone, would you consider getting the desire on meteor or vodafone?

Did they not get the Samsung Wave, SE Vivaz, X10 mini, Nokia 5230, 6700 and 6700 slide same time as the others

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

What testing do they do that takes it so long?

Skype and WLM needs to be written and tested for each handset model

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Yeah its because they have to add their own apps to their phones. Its ridiculous that they just follow this policy regardless. It made sense a few years ago when they distinguished themselves by marking out a territory based on internet and data use but now you can see the likes of meteor using the built in functionality of android phones to achieve the same.

Threes marketing department are easy out of touch somehow thinking sponsoring golf is better than chasing after customers desires (literally).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭flodis79

Walkman wrote: »
    Skype and WLM needs to be written and tested for each handset model

I does not have to be rewritten,they have a symbian skype client for nokia and one j2me for all other phones. Not sure about android.

For the wlm theres only a j2me one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

I didnt think 3 was planning to bring out the iphone, would you consider getting the desire on meteor or vodafone?

If you're due an upgrade they'll give you a 3gs iPhone straight away. Call customer services and tell them you're thinking of switching networks for an iPhone and you'll be offered one.

As per the OP though, they're talking about at least another two months before they'll have the iPhone 4, according to the girl in the shop yesterday. This makes even less sense than usual to me, seeing as the software could be tested on any 3gs with the new ios4. But then what would I know?

Don't want an iPhone any more... Apple and Jobs have made their bed as far as I'm concerned. September starts Wednesday yeah? any chance they'll have the Desire on Wednesday (nope) - but here's hoping....

oh and I didn't move to Vodafone or O2 because my girlfriend's on Three too and I convinced her to move so I can't move for another cupla years methinks.

at this stage I'd nearly consider the Galaxy S but it's all about the touchscreen and I really don't think iPhone or HTC capacitive screens can be beat at the moment.

Advertisement