Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting power out to a garden shed

Options
  • 09-07-2010 10:22am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭

We messed up building the house as the utility is way too small and cramped as we have a fridge freezer taking up most of the floor space. I was thinking about putting this fridge in an outside shed a few metres from the circuit board. The circuit board is in the utility and right beside the backdoor. The house is a bungalow and so the wires are accesible from the attic space right above it.

How difficult would it be to run power from the circuit board in the utility up into the attic and out through an external wall to a point about 5 metres away, i.e. is there a neat way to route this cable? I could go overhead which would leave this cable about 3 metres up in the air and run it through a pipe and down into the shed but this sounds messy. Another option would be to go up into the attic and out through the external wall, down th wall and trace a run through the concrete path and into the garden and up through the floor of the shed. This also sounds messy.

Is there another way to do this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭ShamFeen

Couldn't say for sure without seeing it, but underground is generally the best way. This would prob involve running a trunking or conduit (or waste pipe) down the outside wall and then chasing the path and burying underground.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

We messed up building the house as the utility is way too small and cramped as we have a fridge freezer taking up most of the floor space. I was thinking about putting this fridge in an outside shed a few metres from the circuit board. The circuit board is in the utility and right beside the backdoor. The house is a bungalow and so the wires are accesible from the attic space right above it.

How difficult would it be to run power from the circuit board in the utility up into the attic and out through an external wall to a point about 5 metres away, i.e. is there a neat way to route this cable? I could go overhead which would leave this cable about 3 metres up in the air and run it through a pipe and down into the shed but this sounds messy. Another option would be to go up into the attic and out through the external wall, down th wall and trace a run through the concrete path and into the garden and up through the floor of the shed. This also sounds messy.

Is there another way to do this?

The neatest way is underground alright. The easiest way is from the house across in the air to shed, but not as tidy.

Advertisement