Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Marble tile splashback

• 09-07-2010 10:36am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭

I got my hands on about 600 100x100mm antique marble tiles and I wanna use them for my kitchen splashback but I have some concerns.

1. I have a bag of ceramic floor and wall tile adhesive left from the rest of the tiling and am wondering if this will do to stick em on. Each individual tile is not very heavy but compared to a ceramic tile of the same size they are heavy. Also the backs of the tiles are very smooth compared to the other tiles I've put down/up.

2. The tiles dont have a glaze as such and I'm thinking they will have to sealed with some kind of "sealing stuff". Is this the case and what should I use for this.

Anybody with any experience or advice. Thanks..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭Qwerty?

The tile adhesive should probably be fine if its fresh.

You normally treat the tiles with Stain Repellent and then a few coats of Marble Sealer. You would also need to seal them every few years so they don't stain. You can buy an all in one solution as well in tile shops.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,223 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Hi, as said above, the tile adhesive should be fine.

As regards the tiles your process should be as follows:

1. Lay the tiles, ensuring you keep them free of adhesive on their face. Have a bucket of water and a sponge beside you as you work, wipe the tiles after each few you put up.

2. After the adhesive has dried and the tiles are set you will need to wash them thouroughly a few times, just ensuring they are clean, and that any dust inherent in the tile should be washed out.

3. Using the sealant you should buy from a local tile shop, you need to apply a coat to the tiles. I find it easy to use one of them small paint rollers with a small tray, the kind you use for doing behind rads etc. This seals the tiles for the grouting process.

4. You need to grout the tiles with whatever grout you are using. I wouldn't worry about the colour you use even with it being a splashback. Once you clean your tiles every now and then the grout will not get dirty.

5. Once the grouting process is done you clean as usual. Make sure you remove all the dust from the grouting process. Thouroughly washing the tiles a few times with your water and sponge process.

6. Give the tiles and grout another coat of the sealer. Ensuring the tiles are completely dry first. This should bring a bit more of the colour in the tiles out too.

7. you can repeat 6 again if you like.

This might not be the exact way to do things, but it is the way i have used with no problems. Good Luck with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Marble should be stuck on with flex adhesive and it should be white as grey shows through.

If the adhesive is white and flex then you should be fine.

As for sealing. You can bet its not sealed. Tile the wall. give the wall a good clean then seal it.

If you want to be professional you should clean the tiles with acid however this might eat into the silicone seal and the counter so as soon as its tiled clean and seal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭knx

Cheers for the replies.
    The adhesive is the grey rapid set stuff, I think it may be the flex stuff alright because it is suitable for underfloor heating. However I do take the point about colour showing through and it would probably be hard to clean off the tiles as the edges are rough. Although I've gotten handy enough at the old tiling after the kitchen floor and two bathrooms I know some of the adhesive will end up on the face of the tiles.So I will get some white stuff to stick em on. Hopefully I can just swap what I have for it. The bag is unopened.

Got the kitchen units for free from a house we rewired last year and got the tiles for free off a neighbour so I might post some pictures of my free kitchen when finished..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

knx wrote: »
    Cheers for the replies.
    The adhesive is the grey rapid set stuff, I think it may be the flex stuff alright because it is suitable for underfloor heating. However I do take the point about colour showing through and it would probably be hard to clean off the tiles as the edges are rough. Although I've gotten handy enough at the old tiling after the kitchen floor and two bathrooms I know some of the adhesive will end up on the face of the tiles.So I will get some white stuff to stick em on. Hopefully I can just swap what I have for it. The bag is unopened.

Got the kitchen units for free from a house we rewired last year and got the tiles for free off a neighbour so I might post some pictures of my free kitchen when finished..

I doubt they will swop. They usually have a no returns policy on adhesive but you can try.

• Advertisement
Advertisement