Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Convert ASP.net site to another language

Options
  • 09-07-2010 10:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭

This question has been asked here before I am sure but is there a way to take an entire ASP.NET website and convert it to another language?
    I found a website that converts the HTML code to another language but you have to pay per word and per month etc.
    I assume it is not possible to just grab the folder that contains all the ASP, JavaScript, C# etc. pages and run it through a program that converts them all to French or whatever?
    I know about C# localization but that only works on server-side controls, e.g. it will only convert a calendar control to display in French but will not change the text on a label to convert "Home" to French.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭NeverSayDie

Well, ASP.NET is usually built using C# or VB.NET, and they're not languages you can convert to French :) It ultimately outputs HTML for the user's client, but there's usually a good deal of C#/VB.NET code behind that, and the ASP.NET markup it uses to build the pages. That can contain or reference strings, and it's those you'll be wanting to localise, not the code.

You need to read up on "resource files". They're what you'd usually use to maintain your label strings and other text in different languages for different user cultures. Once your site/code is all structured to use resource files for your strings, you can take those resource files and localise them in whatever way you want.

Your code will then use the appropriate resources automatically from the user's requests, or based on other manual settings - there are plenty of options there. Likewise the Framework has a lot of support for things like localised dates, number formats, etc. That's a good thing because supporting multiple cultures there is major hassle.

This page might get you started, Google will turn up loads more, it's a common problem to solve;
    http://quickstarts.asp.net/QuickStartv20/aspnet/doc/localization/localization.aspx

As for automated translation, I'd advise against that, the results will be very poor for anything other than simple nouns and the likes, and even then it's risky.

Advertisement