Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help identifying rip currents/channels

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,987 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

Next time you are in strandhill sit down by the shelter/ notice board at the far end of the prom and watch the water, look for where waves are breaking the backing off as they come in - it's a rip that stops them breaking, notice how the water's surface looks very disturbed and un natural.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭OldGuysRule

It is important that you watch the sea BEFORE you get in to try to identify the rips. Once you get used to looking for a rip, it becomes second nature. You will see the surface water moving, also you can spot a rip sometimes the way two peaks meet. While in the water, it is often possible to see the locally choppy surface of water moving.

Quite hard to describe, best off to watch before you get in, and try to think about it. The speed and intensity of a rip generally lessens as you go out, they are narrow and focused near the shore and as they head out through the break line and then widen and slacken, like a bell mouth.

But if in doubt, don't paddle out.

Saying all that, when you are comfortable with rips, they are great for getting out.

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭learnerplates

thanks lads.

I'll have to train my eye, I've looked out for stuff like this before but filed to distinguish.

I'll keep at it.
    Any tips on Lahinch, Fanore appreciated too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,987 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

thanks lads.

I'll have to train my eye, I've looked out for stuff like this before but filed to distinguish.

I'll keep at it.
    Any tips on Lahinch, Fanore appreciated too.
    Don't know about Fanore but at lahich there is often a rip at the south end of the prom and you have to watch the tide so you aren't getting out when it's up on the rocks, the same with strandhill

yeah was down the southside of lahinch last night, thats where I came across the rip.
    These rips probably stay in the same spots (generally) do they?

The tides I'm well aware of, caught many times when I started out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭rodento

At the far end of strandhill car park there is a notice that explains all

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭gerk86

sandy water and flat spots where you'd imagine waves should break

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Low Pockets

I often wonder how any of us survived this surfing lark before the internet.

I often wonder how any of us survived this surfing lark before the internet.

old fashioned 1 to 1 conversation I guess :eek:

Advertisement